Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Simple and robust flyback voltage converter

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Yandersen
Fri Aug 23 2013, 03:57AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
The Q2 is essential. The reversed voltage on a non-polar cap may stay infinitely. Due to that problem I have already burned a dozen of parts forgetting to unload the repolarized cap. Right now I'm considering the option of coupling two chargers to use caps in both polarities, reversing it each next shot, this way I can use 1 cap per each stage eliminating the need of coupled stages which reuse leftover energies.

Well, if you want to present a schematic based on other IC - go on moderning the circuit, maybe it will be better then mine. But I will first try to build my idea as I already ordered the parts.
Yandersen
Tue Aug 27 2013, 09:08PM
Tested some parts of the design in practice. Guys, need help to find IC with some built-in functions.
The ideal IC must have the following functions:
1) 2 FET drivers;
2) at least 1 voltage comparator able to operate near the ground level with <1us response time (including 0-Vcc output swing);
3) undervoltage protection - outputs of the FET drivers must not go high if supply voltage is below 6-10V.

Any suggestions?
Yandersen
Mon Sept 16 2013, 09:51PM
After the practical tests some updates are made to the schematic:

1379368291 6944 FT156318 Flyback V4

Two chargers built by the schematic above are planned to be connected antiparallel to charge non-polar caps both directions:

1379368291 6944 FT156318 Commutation 2chrgrs
Yandersen
Wed Sept 18 2013, 12:21AM
Ordered two EPCOS' p-cores to make a couple of transformers. Here is what I got:

1379463699 6944 FT156318 Fucking Monkeys

The first one who will guess right what is wrong on that picture, will have a candy! :)
Yandersen
Sat Oct 19 2013, 07:15AM
Finally got rid of all bugs in the concept. The final schematic is the following:
1382166916 6944 FT156318 Flyback V5
Yandersen
Sat Oct 19 2013, 07:21AM
My pcb board (7cm x 5cm):

1382167305 6944 FT156318 Dscf0248

This is a 780V converter version of the schematic above.
It gave me 126W output at 751V with resistive load (light bulbs) consuming 138.6W from the supply (90.9% efficiency). All the features are confirmed to be working fine, no power-up and shut-down glitches.
Cap 60uF charged to 760V in 0.15 seconds. It gives average power for capacitive loads 115W.
Hm, 2 and a half month designing the charger...
Thomas W
Sat Oct 19 2013, 10:49AM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
Very nice project here!

how did you manage to solder on that cheap chinese matrix board? i have a load of those... couldnt use them as ever time i tried to solder onto them, the copper track pads keep coming off :c
Yandersen
Sun Oct 20 2013, 04:55PM
Yeah, that is true - desoldering and replacing parts leaves empty spaces underneath. That is why I used a new matrix board for every other version (good I have hundred of those little boards - still didn't ran out).
To make tracks I just bend legs of the resistors under the board forming tracks. At some point it is even better then normal pcb approach as lines are formed with relatively thick copper. :)
Steve Conner
Mon Oct 21 2013, 09:34AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Well done, good efficiency! :) What is the function of Q2 in your circuit?
Yandersen
Mon Oct 21 2013, 02:35PM
This is a protection from cap repolarization. See, as I am using non-polar caps without reverse diode, when I shot, cap discharges onto coil, then coil charges cap with hundred of Amps in reverse polarity. Standard charger, if not disconnected, will blow. My charger actively determines cap repolarization by the increased output current, and shuts down, closing the Q2. Every 30-40ms it opens Q2 for couple us to check if cap is still repolaried. It draws tiny amount of energy from cap. The Q2 closes permanently when supply voltage drops below 10V or so as when supply disconnected, so it is safe to shut down or turn on the gun with caps in reverse polarity.

Making further testings I discovered that no-cap-in-load protection (when the output wire broken and charger outputs into air) doesn't work that well. Albi recommended me to have cap on charger side, like a minimum load, but it is not that easy to implement in my design due to existence of Q2. Working on it now...

The efficiency in my setup may be couple percent higher when I rewind the trans in more optimal way. Measuring current output instead of input current (which is more common, as I see) is much more efficient and losses on that are negligible. In my setup, ~2V are taken from output voltage for current measuring purposes, which contributes to <0.3% efficiency drop on 780V output. All other losses (output diode, MOSFET, transformer, driver) are the same unavoidable as in any other flyback setup. Using the Silicon Carbide Schottky diode (no reverse recovery current) on output allowed me to implement continuous current mode to lower resistance losses by 25% due to smaller peak currents for the same output power comparing to discontinuous mode.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: