Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

homebrew power resistor

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
attune
Mon Sept 04 2006, 02:04AM Print
attune Registered Member #259 Joined: Sun Feb 26 2006, 05:57PM
I refuse to spend hundreds on high voltage, high power resistors to limit the current on my 100kv c-w multiplier. There must be a better way! The three options I have found are:

• hundreds of smaller resistors in series

• salt water resistor

• rubber vacuum tubing (high carbon content)

I want to keep the current down to a few mA. This still means a few hundred watts. I find that distilled water resistors (lower resistance than salt water) would have to be impractically long to get the 100mOhms. I have only found one mention of using black tubing, does anyone know if this is practical?

It seems my best bet is a few hundred metal film resistors. The 3W ones are rated at 750 volts. I have read that (under oil) they can exceed this? At only 3W, it seems inevitable a 100w design would destroy them, but under oil could they dissipate heat better, or perhaps the could withstand higher wattage anyway? Thanks for any help!
Part Scavenger
Mon Sept 04 2006, 03:20AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
You can get 100 10Mohm or 1Mohm (or heck 1, 10, 1k, 10k, etc.) 1/2W resistors from mouser for $1.40. IIRC, it's under 10 bucks for 1000. I can dig up a part# if you want. They're rated about 700V-1kV I think, haven't looked in a while.
Electroholic
Mon Sept 04 2006, 03:38AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
teh 10w or 20w ceramic/cement ones are not that expensive, juat have like 10 of them in series on heatsink.
HV Enthusiast
Mon Sept 04 2006, 03:42AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

I want to keep the current down to a few mA. This still means a few hundred watts.

Not really. The voltage drop vs. load current of a CW multiplier drops quite significantly with increased load, and also increases as the number of stages increases.

What are the specifications of your CW multiplier?

Frequency of Input Voltage
Number of Stages
Voltage Input
Capacitance per Stage
etc...

ragnar
Mon Sept 04 2006, 06:05AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
If the only reason you're investigating these is cost... see if someone's flogging exactly what you want on eBay... chances they are! And at a price that's worth your while, too.
attune
Mon Sept 04 2006, 02:54PM
I thought of large ceramic resistors, but I couldn't find any with high enough resistance. Those mouser ones look great! Specs:

100 W flyback. 1cm arc = 10kv? Hopefully increase to 300 W and 15kv

5 stages @ 30kv per stage

100 pf per stage
HV Enthusiast
Mon Sept 04 2006, 03:56PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Firstly, with your set-up, you will not need to limit current for continuous duty. So, no need whatsoever for big 100W resistors. You only need to limit for the peak discharge when you initially discharge the CW stack, and the power dissipation when this occurs is practically zero.

Even if you got the large power resistors sized to limit current at 3mA at 100kV and put them on the output of your CW multiplier, EVEN with an infinite power flyback supply, those resistors will dissipate ZERO watts as the output voltage will be ZERO!!!

Secondarly, the CW multiplier, as is, will limit current itself for continuous operation. In fact, with your set-up (5 stages, 100pF per stage, assuming 10kHz flyback frequency) at 3mA output current, you would have a voltage drop across the multiplier of 143kV which basically means if you try to drop 3mA of load across the output, it will quickly go to zero and stay there until the load is removed. Even at 3mA!

In summary, if you want the several mA at 100kV, you are going to need to invest in larger capacitors, and actually do some math to determine the best set-up (number stages, etc...) to achieve 100kV at 2-3mA. And with your current set-up, as far as current limiting goes, you only need to limit for the peak discharge which dissipates virtually nothing - the CW multiplier in itself will provide its own current limiting action.

Roger
Mon Sept 04 2006, 10:28PM
Roger Registered Member #221 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:36PM
I just bought some nice power resistors off eBay a few weeks ago for my DC Tesla coil project. Here is a list of what I got.

One 15,000 ohms at 200 Watts
One 10,000 ohms at 200 Watts
ten 1000 ohms at 200 Watts
ten 5000 ohms at 50 Watts

I cant remember the exact prices but they where all very reasonable. I also saw some resistors that where in the megaohm range but I didn't need any thing like that.
attune
Tue Sept 05 2006, 04:32PM
I see. Thanks for setting me straight. Could you explain what you mean by limiting only the peak voltage (me, the uneducated high school student). I used a voltage multiplier calculator http://www.blazelabs.com/cw-brm-java.asp to design it. The peak voltage is calculated at 150kv. Slightly confused. rolleyes
Steve Ward
Tue Sept 05 2006, 06:09PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
He said limit the peak output current to a safe level for your diodes. What happens when you short circuit a CW is that the capacitors can dump their charge (very quickly, meaning high current) through the charging diodes, this can kill them. You only need a few k ohms, and an appropriate stand off voltage of 150kV in your case. Why 150kV? well, when the supply sits open circuit it has 150kv, then suppose you ground the other end of your resistor chain, you instantly have 150kv across it (but only until you discharge the CW stack, so not for long). You do *not* want the resistor to flash over.

I bought a bunch of 200W ceramic resistors on ebay for about $1 each. 10k-100k ohms should be plenty of limiting resistance for your project, and the 200W size is physically long enough to stand off at least 80kV (not sure about 150kV), so you may need 2 in series. You want your ballast resistance to be much less resistance than your load impedance, or else you will burn up a very significant amount of power in the resistors alone. A 150kV 3mA supply has an impedance of 50Mohms, so something in the 10k-100k range will have very little adverse effect, and will dissipate very little power.

So, figure out what peak current your diodes can handle. Say its 15A, then at 150kV, you need 10k ohms to limit the peak discharge current to 15A.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: