All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

suitcase-sized DIY portable X-ray machine

Move Thread LAN_403
Fabio
Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:43PM Print
Fabio Registered Member #122 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:55PM
Hi All!

6j9n

After a long time, i come back here with another strange homemade equipment......
This time i made a portable X-ray machine, completed with electronic xray sensor and LCD display, everything contained in a single suitcase!

Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2

everything started from an old X-ray system that i built some years ago, it was just a dental X-ray head without the mechanical support but with his original timer mounted inside a suitcase: was quite useful for x-raying objects both in my home and outside but was quite unhandy due to the lack of a mechanical support for the head and the need to have of a darkroom + chemicals for develop the films.
the first step was almost obvious, i made a welded support for the head, of course demountable and designed to be fitted inside the suitcase

Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2

After that, i started to build the sensor:
the principle is simple: a small B/W CCTV camera looks at a fluorescent screen sensible to X-rays: since the camera can be ruined from the radiations, i shielded it inside a leaded armor and, to avoid the penetration of X-rays through the lens, i used an inclined mirror who reflect the light of the screen against the camera without reflecting the radiations. (nothing new, this is the same principle of my previous huge X-ray camera!)
It may look overcomplicated because there are many multipole connectors, but in reality is simpler than it look: there are many strange connectors because i wanted both the simplest use (a power connector and a RCA for the composite video output) and the integrated use (with special multi pins connectors who serve for power, video connection and remote control with less cable as possible)

Link2

Okay, this is the video system!
The first connector serve as remote switch for the X-ray generator, the second one transport the supply for the monitor, the video signal and the remote switch trough a long cable, finally a third connector is for the wall-wart power supply (since this power supply occupy space inside the suitcase, add one more cable and require a second wall outlet, this power supply was lately removed and integrated inside the timer, the first connector now have 4 poles and serve both for powering the video system and for switching on the X-rays head!)

Link2

This is the timer (with the video power supply inserted)

Link2

Okay, this is time for the first test...... i just unrolled the long cable and of course i'm hiding behind a brick wall...... my finger is on the button.......
.........WOW, IT WORKS!!!!!!!!
I made a VIDEOCLIP for the event: Link2

Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2

All successive modifications are purely aesthetic.... seems only details but they required the most part of the time

Okay..... i have a new toy, and this is a SPECIAL TOY

Happy (but safe) Xraying to all! smile
Ciao!
Fabio.
Conundrum
Tue Jul 30 2013, 07:31AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Heh, gives a whole new meaning to "heavy suitcase" ...

Mind you don't get busted, presumably its got a lot of failsafes against unauthorised use?

-A
Fabio
Tue Jul 30 2013, 08:57AM
there are only the two original locks of the suitcase against unauthorised use (if you cannot open the box you cannot use his content).
The failsafe is quite simple, the timer is powered trough the fire button and is designed to disconnect the power after the set time is gone (adjustable from 100mS to 2.1 seconds), it cannot be self-energized in any way and, in case of button get stuck (or in case of a short circuit in the wires), the timer remains powered but the x-ray head fires only once for a maximum of 2,1 seconds.
there are also two contacts to energize the head so no problem if one of them remains stuck.
At least two failures must occur simultaneously in order to mantain energized the head but neither in this case the situation can become dangerous for the operator because the small tube inside it is designed to withstand for only few seconds of exposure and if permanently energized will self destruct in about 20-30 seconds.

for a maximum safety, there are also a buzzer and a warning light who warn when the head is energized.
if a warning sound is heard, the user can quickly turn off the mains switch or simply run away from the machine.
finally, an X-ray machine is not a firearm, a single accidental exposure isn't particulary dangerous and this machine is equipped with a filter to cut off the low energy rays; a dental X-ray source is designed to be pointed few centimeters away from a human head and in this application is usually pointed on the paving so only the stray radiations can be a potential danger

Since the machine can be used for short times only, the only way to get a really dangerous dose is point the machine to himself and perform many exposures interspersed by at least 30 seconds of cooling time, in other words the only way to get a really dangerous dose with this machine is being an idiot!

Of course even the stray radiations could be potentially dangerous over the time, but the energy is low and brick or concrete wall will stop them easily (and in Italy all buildings are made with bricks and concrete: finding a proper shielding isn't particulary difficult!)

Happy (and safe) X-raying to all!
Ciao!
Fabio.
Steve Conner
Tue Jul 30 2013, 09:19AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I don't know what would count as unauthorised use of an X-ray machine. There's no law that says you need a license to use one. However, a key interlock and a warning beeper that sounds while the beam is on are good to have.
Fabio
Wed Jul 31 2013, 01:06PM
Well, to own and operate a machine between 30 and 200 kV you need some burocracy in italy, but fortunately if the machine isn't in a working conditions (eg, ready to fire) you can own it without any permission.
this suitcase does not contains a complete machine but only free pieces and, in order to be mounted, at least one hand tool is required (a plier to lock the two bolts of the mechanical support).

Okay, i can own it but i cannot use it.... maybe i should build a low energy X-rays machine (no permissions are required below 30 kV) wink
Fabio
Fri Aug 02 2013, 10:06AM
I also upload a video of about a month ago (the machine had just been finished but the padding was just temporary)
It show a cellphone being scanned from X-rays, seen from the point of view of the cellphone itself!!!! shades
Fabio
Fri Aug 02 2013, 10:13AM
I also upload a video of about a month ago (the machine had just been finished but the padding was just temporary)
It show a cellphone being scanned from X-rays, seen from the point of view of the cellphone itself!!!! shades

Link2
Fabio
Fri Aug 22 2014, 11:51PM
I just finish some repairs and modifications on the machine:

this is the result!

Link2
Proud Mary
Sat Aug 23 2014, 06:36PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Better - or more sophisticated perhaps - than any of the machines I've built, Fabio. Well done! smile

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: