Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Function Generator question

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Sat Sept 02 2006, 09:06PM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I can precisely control the frequency and duty cycle with my function generator. I also know that for a basic 555 circuit the reistance (Ra and Rb) and capacitance across the proper pins control the frequency and duty cycle. How does the function generator vary these parameters while keeping the other fixed with just two knobs (frequency knob and duty cycle knob)?

Using the 555 as an example, I would like two knobs to smoothly control frequency and duty cycle:
If one wants the frequency fixed, the duty cycle is varied by changing values of Ra and Rb (diode across pins 6&7). I could use a three-pin trim pot for this. How then, could I smoothly vary the frequency? I don't think there are variable capacitors with a sufficient range. Would I have to link two variable resistors to change simultaneously across 6&7 and 8&7?
Avalanche
Sat Sept 02 2006, 10:30PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
You basically need to not use a 555, or at least don't take the output from pin 3 smile

To vary your duty cycle independent of the frequency, or vice versa, you need two things - a sawtooth or triangle generator (you can take the signal from the timing capacitor on the 555) and a comparator. Altering the frequency of the sawtooth is as simple as altering the frequency of your oscillator, whatever your are using - vary either the capacitor value or the resistor. To alter the duty cycle you change your reference voltage that you are using on the comparator - so it swings high or low at a different voltage on each cycle of the sawtooth, resulting in a change of duty cycle, or pulse width, depending on where the switching takes place. I'm probably not the best at explaining things, but I hope that makes some sense. The TL494 basically does this, it might help if you look at the functional block diagram in the TL494 datasheet.
IamSmooth
Sat Sept 02 2006, 10:53PM
Maybe the eassiest solution would be to use two 555 timers. One would provide an input trigger which can control the frequency. THe second 555 can be used to vary the duty cycle.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Sept 02 2006, 11:06PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
you might want to have a look at the ICL8038. There is a NTE cross to it, I forget the number. It is one of the chips that generates sine/triangle/square with duty and VCO. Its sorta like its own function generator all in one.

It looks very promising sometimes, but it can be picky depending what your VCO input voltage range is. Sometimes you have to set limits for min/max voltage so that it doesn't stop oscillating.

Anyways, that chip and a counter setup will give you basically a commercial generator to 2MHz.
IamSmooth
Sat Sept 02 2006, 11:11PM
I don't actually need a chip to solve the problem. I aminterested in how one would design a simple circuit from basic parts to control both frequency and duty cycle. THis is one of those "I want to know how to do it" things.

Again, just to be clear, I would like two control knobs to control frequency and duty cycle independent of each other.

One solution might include a 555 astable for frequency control and a monostable 555 for duty cycle. The problem is that I need to make sure the monostable pulse duration is always shorter than the astable period.
Avalanche
Sat Sept 02 2006, 11:56PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
IamSmooth wrote ...

Maybe the eassiest solution would be to use two 555 timers. One would provide an input trigger which can control the frequency. THe second 555 can be used to vary the duty cycle.

Yes you can do that. The only problem with that is when you adjust the potentiometers in a way that the trigger pulse to the second timer is longer than the overall frequency will allow. If you do it, it's best to aim for the shortest trigger pulse duration possible, like less than 1uS, which would mean using a 7555, the CMOS version of the 555.

If you want to do it yourself, you can create a simple oscillator with an inverter chip and use a comparator for the duty cycle, or simply use a TL494 with a pot on the timing resistor, and another acting as a potential divider on the input to the PWM comparator. I know what you mean about wanting to make everything yourself from scratch, but then you soon realise what a lifesaver things like comparators are!
IamSmooth
Sun Sept 03 2006, 12:16AM
Avalanche wrote ...

If you want to do it yourself, you can create a simple oscillator with an inverter chip and use a comparator for the duty cycle, or simply use a TL494 with a pot on the timing resistor, and another acting as a potential divider on the input to the PWM comparator.

How does one use a comparator to control the duty cycle for a variable timing input?

Edit:
How is this? Link2
HV Enthusiast
Sun Sept 03 2006, 03:49AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Just use two 555 timers. One controls PRF, and the other pulsewidth, so you can control frequency and duty cycle independently.
Bennem
Sun Sept 03 2006, 06:52AM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
Take a look at Steve Wards site,
under 'DRSSTC interrupter'.
for an example of two 555 timer ics controlling
both frequency and pulse width independently.
Carbon_Rod
Sun Sept 03 2006, 08:54AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
I am not sure where this thread was headed so I will answer the initial question.

If you want to know about waveforms generation look at the LM8038 analog chip design (rather simple actually.) Why the duty cycle does not change (well at least in theory it shouldn’t) the fundamental frequency of operation should be immediately obvious.

You may want to look at linear control designs in oscillators and amplifiers. Some clever folk simply used a “stereo” pot to adjust the parameters and or remained balanced with crude internal calibration (as even good op-amps can have bizarre shifts with temperature.) If you find a schematic you will see complexity made precision instrumentation expensive.

The j-fet amps they have now with excellent slew rates and rather astonishing gains. Some are also anti-DC-biasing.

When DSP, chopper controlled analog amps, and SOCs arrived you can imagine how much designers were relieved -- almost everything is digital these days as its cheaper to build.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: