Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
05/17 Blue Adept (43)
05/17 Nickel (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Low Melting Point (281F) Sn/Bi Solder for SMT.

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Patrick
Fri Jul 05 2013, 07:00PM Print
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
does anyone have experience with these ultra low melting point solder?

solder product : Link2
similar thread : Link2

281F seems real low, perfect for my soldering of tiny SMT devices without the pins visible or accessible. I plan to etch my own boards, then use a sewing needle to put down solder paste, and then using a normal soldering iron--heat the trace and let the heat conduct under the device and met the solder. One pin and trace at a time.

or possibly just use a toaster oven (not for human food ever again) and do it all in one go.

does any one have any experience with similar circumstances? remember the accels and gyros are leadless so theres no getting then directly hot with the soldering iron.

ive looked here on 4HV and on SparkFuns' website and I think I can pull this off one way or another, given what others show.

Patrick
Sat Jul 06 2013, 09:04PM
hmm... guess not, ill buy it and find out. then post here.
Shrad
Sun Jul 07 2013, 09:48AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
frying pan and thermostatic control... it is uniform and will heat through the PCB evenly, and the heating and cooling curves wont be too harsh on the SMTs
Mattski
Sun Jul 07 2013, 03:49PM
Mattski Registered Member #1792 Joined: Fri Oct 31 2008, 08:12PM
Patrick wrote ...

281F seems real low, perfect for my soldering of tiny SMT devices without the pins visible or accessible. I plan to etch my own boards, then use a sewing needle to put down solder paste, and then using a normal soldering iron--heat the trace and let the heat conduct under the device and met the solder. One pin and trace at a time.
The usual technique for that type of package would be solder-paste with oven reflow.

I've used a technique like you describe with standard (lead-based) solder. I'd melt a bit of regular solder (not paste) onto the pads, add some paste flux to each pad so the part will stick in place and put the part down. Then I would sometimes preheat the board partially using a hot air gun or a toaster oven (with board wrapped in foil), or with a big soldering iron on the ground plane. Then I'd heat the traces one at a time to reflow the solder onto the part. Could also do the whole thing with hot air gun.

I was usually doing rework, not the whole assembly, so I never tried to reflow an entire board in a toaster oven.

If you're doing DIY boards without soldermask it will be more difficult because the solder will want to run down the trace rather than stick to the pad if the trace heats up to solder melting temperature before the part pad. But there are some DIY soldermask techniques (Link2 which will make hand soldering or oven reflow of these "blind pad" packages easier.
Patrick
Sun Jul 07 2013, 05:15PM
TY everyone for the responses.

I was thinking of the solder mask, that does worry me.

Mattski there is a CircuitWorks product that's almost as good as solder mask, but its meant as a conformal coating. In any case, its a mag, gyro and Acc, so 9 DOF IMU, with about 30 pins all together, and yes they are totally blind, I just need them to be on a circuit board about 1" sq.

allot of the similarly constructed devcices look like the inside of an ipod nano , tiny ICs and traces all over, with no visible solder pads...
2Spoons
Sun Jul 07 2013, 11:52PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
You would be best to paste and place the whole board then reflow in a toaster oven. Use a thermocouple meter to check the oven temp. In our one we cut the heating power by putting a diode in series with the element - crude but it works. You don't want too high a ramp rate. Also shield the element with some ali mesh, so less IR heating.
Process is to start oven from cold with board in place, heat to predetermined temp, we used 210C for lead solder. When solder is molten tap pcb gently - this helps all the parts align to pads (surface tension on solder helps this), then switch off and allow to cool in oven with door open.
Solder paste is easiest to apply with a syringe + hollow needle. If you are doing a bunch of the same boards you can make your own paste stencil using 0.005" brass shim stock - etched in FeCl3 as you would a pcb.

We have built pcbs this way with a 32 pin BGA (an accelerometer)
Patrick
Mon Jul 08 2013, 02:47AM
2Spoons wrote ...

You would be best to paste and place the whole board then reflow in a toaster oven. Use a thermocouple meter to check the oven temp. In our one we cut the heating power by putting a diode in series with the element - crude but it works. You don't want too high a ramp rate. Also shield the element with some ali mesh, so less IR heating.
Process is to start oven from cold with board in place, heat to predetermined temp, we used 210C for lead solder. When solder is molten tap pcb gently - this helps all the parts align to pads (surface tension on solder helps this), then switch off and allow to cool in oven with door open.
Solder paste is easiest to apply with a syringe + hollow needle. If you are doing a bunch of the same boards you can make your own paste stencil using 0.005" brass shim stock - etched in FeCl3 as you would a pcb.

We have built pcbs this way with a 32 pin BGA (an accelerometer)
excellent, I will look at the temp profiles on the datasheets, and try to mimic them... as best a toaster oven can. Spoon, did you have traditional solder mask when you made yours?
2Spoons
Mon Jul 08 2013, 04:47AM
No, no mask. our homebrew pcbs never got that sophisticated. I do think it helps a bit to pre tin the board first. To do this I paint the board with flux, then wrap a piece of desoldering braid around a soldering iron. The braid gets loaded with a bit of solder then used like a felt tip pen to wipe solder onto all the copper. You want a very thin layer of solder - no obvious blobs. Looks pretty, and makes soldering easier.
Patrick
Wed Jul 10 2013, 01:37AM
ok got it.

apparently it needs to be kept cool. It shipped with a reusable cool pack.
but both the cool pack and the solder were room temp, despite next day air 61$ shipping, which digi-key recommended.

the problem is I fear there maybe an expiration date, like milk. My silver epoxy has such a date, yet it works and I don't use it often enough to run out. I dont think ill use 15g of this special solder in lets say 2 years.

there is a "filled 4/13 label" present.

pics to follow:

1373420240 2431 FT155609 Lowtemp
the solder syringe...

1373420240 2431 FT155609 Lowtemp2
I cut some of the label away so I can guage my usage.

1373420240 2431 FT155609 Drone
the bicopter drone "Taharqa" all of this is meant for...(civilian, academic version seen here)
2Spoons
Wed Jul 10 2013, 05:15AM
Store it in the fridge, but let it warm to room temp for use - it will be too thick otherwise. The only thing that happens to solder paste as it ages is the solvent in the flux slowly evaporates, eventually resulting in paste too thick to apply properly. Keeping it cold slows this process down. I've used paste waaay past its expiration date and it solders just fine.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: