Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

End-on spark view - broken sparks

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
teravolt
Mon Sept 04 2006, 03:54AM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
Indeed that is an efect that is real I have seen this with my own eyes. I you can see it with ignition coils, VGraph, any blue arch. Maby has it something with different charges meating or a step leader maeting the arch. I would like to know why do VTTC's have steight archs. N.B.
Tesladownunder
Mon Sept 04 2006, 12:49PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
To get a two axis view of a spark, I have set up a first surface mirror to give a 90 degree view. I have kept the aperture small to accomodate the different focal lengths.

Look at the 5 spark example with 3 discontinuities present in both images.

I don't believe that this is a camera effect or a lensing effect. The brightness of the spark to the right is visible to the eye and often seen for thin low power sparks but not higher power sparks. EVR's sparks are much brighter than mine most of the time I suspect.
The spark discontinuity is not usually visible to the eye though, due probably to the rapidity of the event to the eye.

I will try a different camera and a rear view to show reversal of sides to confirm that it is not a camera view issue.

Peter
1157374171 10 FT15549 Hvbrokensparksmirror5
Steve Maurer
Mon Sept 04 2006, 06:59PM
Steve Maurer Registered Member #133 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 10:27PM
Peter,

Thanks for sharing these interesting photographs. Maybe we can offer some additional insight if you would tell us what camera you are using for these pictures. Is it a film or digital camera? What are the camera settings (shutter speed, aperture (f-stop), film ISO rating, lens type and focal length, distance from the sparks to the camera)?

- Steve
Bjørn
Mon Sept 04 2006, 10:32PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
The last picture contains this EXIF information:
Nikon D70s
70 mm
f/16
1s

The shutter moves from bottom to top or possibly from top to bottom in the frame.
Nik
Mon Sept 04 2006, 11:43PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
I have seen this broken spark effect from my tesla coil when I just started. The gap did not quench properly and the tank circuit was fed with 2 doubled mots, this made the coil output more like an induction coil then a tesla. I could see the broken spark pretty often untill I switched to a 4 stack of mots for a power suply.
Tesladownunder
Tue Sept 05 2006, 01:15AM
Perhaps one in 3 or 4 sparks have a discontinuity in my setup.
Some more photos with different settings result in the spark being a bit overexposed but still show the same effect.

Also a reversed photo from the rear of the same setup to show it's not a camera side thing. Most of these were 1 second exposures. None showed any sign of camera interference. Some of the earlier ones were taken with my Sigma 180 lens from about 3 feet and some with the 18-70 lens from closer.

I guess I need to pull out my 300kV diode and check polarity stuff.

Peter

1157418919 10 FT15549 Hvbrokensparkssingle2

1157418919 10 FT15549 Hvbrokensparksreversedsingle
WaveRider
Tue Sept 05 2006, 08:21AM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
You may be witnessing the "magnetic pinch" effect. See

Link2

and
Link2

Essentially, the current in the arc creates a magnetic field that encircles the discharge. However, this creates a force on the moving charges in the arc which tends to constrict the flow...hence the "pinch"

Some experimentalists have measured the discharge currents and observed current decreases suddenly after the initiation of the discharge as the pinch effect causes current to drop off. Then the current increases again as the pinch effect is reduced or the discharge finds another path...

Tesladownunder
Tue Sept 05 2006, 10:43AM
Here is a DC spark with left side negative. Hence this is a negative side effect.

1157453012 10 FT15549 Hvbrokensparksrightpos1
WaveRider
Tue Sept 05 2006, 12:21PM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
TDU, Looking closely at your last photo, you can just see channels of ionisation (leaders) widely avoiding the pinched off region (as a result of a concentrated magnetic field "ring" near the pinched off zone..). The current is becoming choked off at the center, so the potential drop in the gap becomes large, generating a corona "pre-discharge" which circles outside of the concentrated magnetic field region...

My 2 cent theory... wink Lovely photos BTW!!
Tesladownunder
Tue Sept 05 2006, 03:04PM
My guess is that it isn't a magnetic pinch effect. The main reason is that the discontinuity occurs in only part of the spark near the negative electrode. Secondly Crooke's spaces vary greatly in site and number depending on pressure of the gas rather than current.

I have now taken pics in a high speed rotating mirror withe perhaps 10us resolution and am not seeing any other "structure" at that level.

Peter
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: