Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

flat copper coil...?

Move Thread LAN_403
Yandersen
Sat Jul 13 2013, 06:48AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
As far as I know Al can not be soldered in an open air due to instantaneous forming of Al2O3. Whatever I tried did not work - joint easily breaks after cooling even if it seems OK.
The only option I see is an electrical welding - connect both pieces of aluminum to the charged cap and make a sparky contact. Do not try it with thin aluminum foil - roll a corner of it to form a thicker chunk.
But I would recommend a mechanical contact - roll a tip of a foil over thick copper wire and clamp it into smg like a steel "U" pressurizing the mesh with plains as hard as possible to destroy oxide inside for better contact and prevent wire from sliding out.
Ash Small
Sat Jul 13 2013, 08:40AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
This video shows how to solder aluminium, using the correct flux and a tin/copper solder.

Link2

The notes accompanying the video are here:

Published on 9 Oct 2012

INDOFLUX AX-39. Aluminium Soldering Flux.(external Flux)
Solder To Al Sheet And Bulb Cap.
Can Be Applied in Solder Wire Flux Core. (ALUBOND Product)

Excellent Invention made by R&D Departement.

Aluminium Soldering Flux.
For :
Aluminium sheet, Light Bulb Cap soldering. Tin Solder Flux for Aluminium.
Using Torch, or By High Watt Solder.

Indonesia product.

ISO 9001-2008, TUV Rheinland, Certified Manufacturer.

Signification
Sat Jan 31 2015, 01:28AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
I toyed with this idea a while back, when, at first glance, I wondered if a single long flat turn (the length of the entire gun) acted as more than a single-turn loop of wire. I concluded that that there was no difference in the number-of-turns variable (N) for foil or wire.

Also, it occurred that the connections to the two wide end terminals of this coil should be such that the current flows 'into' and 'out of' the entire width of the flat ends--perhaps a large-gauge stranded wire "flattened out" and the strands soldered along the width of the copper edge ends. BUT--this may be a little tricky to implement on the 'buried' inner end layer which is somewhat inaccessible and should lie flat along the barrel !!

Has anyone thought about the inherent capacitance in this type of 'inductor'? In fact, it looks more like a (multi-layer cylindrical) capacitor.
hen918
Sat Jan 31 2015, 02:28PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Signification wrote ...

I toyed with this idea a while back, when, at first glance, I wondered if a single long flat turn (the length of the entire gun) acted as more than a single-turn loop of wire. I concluded that that there was no difference in the number-of-turns variable (N) for foil or wire.

Also, it occurred that the connections to the two wide end terminals of this coil should be such that the current flows 'into' and 'out of' the entire width of the flat ends--perhaps a large-gauge stranded wire "flattened out" and the strands soldered along the width of the copper edge ends. BUT--this may be a little tricky to implement on the 'buried' inner end layer which is somewhat inaccessible and should lie flat along the barrel !!

Has anyone thought about the inherent capacitance in this type of 'inductor'? In fact, it looks more like a (multi-layer cylindrical) capacitor.

When the inductance is that low, I don't imagine that the tiny capacitance will make any difference to anything. Think of the milli-farads that you are putting into the coil. The capacitance of the coil will be in the order of pico-farads.
Signification
Sat Jan 31 2015, 10:01PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
...so that is milli-Farads to pico-Farads: a NINE magnitude order ratio of applied to parasitic capacitance...OK !!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: