All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The way scr's and diodes are rated...

Move Thread LAN_403
Quantum Singularity
Tue Aug 29 2006, 01:36PM Print
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
This is probably a basic question but wanted to confirm this. I have been looking for some higher rated diodes for various EMP projects I am starting on. Most of the ones I see cheap second hand are dual diode packs, and I have only really ever used just individual diodes before. So when the datasheet indicates V and I ratings that is for each individual one correct? Same goes for a scr/diode pack... both the scr and diode have the same V and I ratings?

And similarly take for example a 3 phase bridge rectifier that is rated for say 1000V and 100A and is comprised of 6 diodes. Used as a single diode (just hooking up the - and + terminals) should have a 300A rating? But are the individual diodes only rated at half the nominal rating so that 2 in series would then match the actual rating, or would it be double?

Just wanted a clarification since the datasheets dont really indicate individual parts of a 'pack'.
Part Scavenger
Tue Aug 29 2006, 02:49PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Well, I can help you with the second question. In a normal Bridge Rectifier, all the diodes are rated the same. In effect, a 600V, 20A recifier has 600V, 20A individual diodes. I would expect the three phase to be the same.

BTW, you stole my really cool avatar idea and made it look better! Shame!!! That's ok, I've been working on a new one anyway. Looks great.
Sulaiman
Tue Aug 29 2006, 06:34PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
It is normal for power rectifiers to be specified in dc amps,
because that's usually the desired quantity,
so a Dual OR Bridge rectifier rated for say 600V 10A means
for 60 Hz sinewave input (sometimes 50 Hz) the 'rated' output current is 10 Adc.
(subject to temperature etc.)

This means that each diode has a peak current rating MUCH higher than 10A
(due to the expected 'pulses' of current)

Ifsm is usually quoted, maximum surge current
Quantum Singularity
Wed Aug 30 2006, 12:17AM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Part Scavenger, thanks for the compliment. I occasionally rotate through avatars, this one actually isnt new, and originally designed about 5 yrs ago (check out my other 3d designs at Link2 ). Yours looks just as good! Back to the topic...

So then just to confirm take a common bridge rect rated at 100V 100A if you used it as one big diode by going across the + and - terminals you would in affect have a 200V 200A diode correct? And a 3 phase module with 6 diodes with the above rating would be 200V 300A correct?

But what about something like this Link2
Were you have a module that consists of 2 diodes (in different arangements determined by the 2 letter code in the part number). Is the ratings given for the entire 'module' or each individual diode inside? The actuall rating like rms, dc amps, Ifsm, are all given in the datasheets I am not confused with that, but wether those ratings apply to the whole module or each individual part inside. I am always a little cautious when trying to pulse thousands of amps and try to make sure of the details ahead of time lol!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: