Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

platinum alloy wire

Move Thread LAN_403
Sun Aug 27 2006, 06:33PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
oops, lost the negative sign in my notes angry

Some spark plugs have platinum...
Carbon_Rod
Sun Aug 27 2006, 11:30PM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Drop it in a small cap full of Hydrogen Peroxide antiseptic. If it does not cause bubbles to form it likely is not reactive platinum (or silver.) LOL – for fun I tested those platinum razors with no success too. =o]

Those spark plugs are from aircraft and are about $60 or more each for refurbished units. Catalytic converters out of cars at one point had plated honeycombs too (need to heat them a bit before doing the self glowing demonstration.) However, a small bottle of Chloroplatinic Acid (Fisher P154) plating solution will likely be cheaper and more versatile.

Of course Nickel screens are cheaper to experiment with and can be easily plated too. But the fuel cell is more susceptible to being poisoned by contaminants (clean fuel is a must.) CRT tubes and NiChrome wire have quite a bit of nickel – but neither will likely work for this type of application.

You probably already know some commonly mislabelled industrial alcohol is really ethanol mixed with a bit of methanol.

Have fun,
Mon Aug 28 2006, 02:09AM
I was thinking of the plugs I just replaced in my mom's car (well they say they are platinum...) they cost only a few bux a piece... I chucked the old ones so I can't tell you if they are any good angry

On the other hand, I do have a bottle of 10% Chloroplatinic Acid... Looking at the msds it is pretty damn nasty stuff dead I calculate 2ml into 50ml of water would give ~10mM solution as shown here

You guys want me to give it a try?
EEYORE
Mon Aug 28 2006, 05:28AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
... wrote ...

I was thinking of the plugs I just replaced in my mom's car (well they say they are platinum...) they cost only a few bux a piece... I chucked the old ones so I can't tell you if they are any good angry

On the other hand, I do have a bottle of 10% Chloroplatinic Acid... Looking at the msds it is pretty damn nasty stuff dead I calculate 2ml into 50ml of water would give ~10mM solution as shown here

You guys want me to give it a try?

The chloroplatonic acid is very $$$, around 90$(way more than I will spend)
I did put the wire in H2O2 and it did indeed create some bubbles, nothing like putting managanese dioxide in, but yes, bubbles are coming off the wire.

So, it would seem this wire IS indeed good, and the "methanol" is shit, no?

That would be great if you could try out your acid!The commerical fuel cell i got works great!Way better than I thought!Id just LOVE to get the methanol fuel cell working too. Im too afraid to try putting methanol into the PEM fuel cell. The guy from the place said I could, as long as it is dilluted, but he didnt seem to eager to see me find success this way rather than buy their methanol cell.
Matt
Matt
Mon Aug 28 2006, 01:16PM
looks like it is going to be a fun day... I am etching a few pcb's and a platinum plating some copper sheet, and registering for school, and I get to go back to the internship and see how progress has been amazed

What should I plate? I am thinking some copper sheet? Probably dip the copper in some HCL to clean it off then electrolyse in platinic acid... I have some gold plated kovar and gold plated copper if you think that might work better (I couldn't find anywhere that said what you can plate platinum on). I could also nickle plate something then use the platinum (I have gold, silver, copper, and nickle plating kits, as well as the bottle of H2PtCl6*6H2O and tons of CuSO4*5H2O)

Edit:
I made up 50ml of a .0100M platanic acid solution and transfered 10ml into another dixi cup (very limited glassware here) and dropped in a piece of gold plated copper (mirror finish) and a pencil lead planning to and as I was getting ready to hook it up to a power supply I noticed the copper was silver amazed It just plated out onto the copper on its own. And it looks like it is pretty pure, dropping it some 3% H2O2 bubbled pretty good (but less than maganese me thinks) but trying methanol didn't do anything. The methanol smelled a little wierd (sorta of a stale smell folowed by a burning ill ) so i tried some 60% methanol 20% nitromethane 20% oil r/c car gas and still didn't get anything frown

Not to be discouraged, I soldered 2 ~.25"x.5"x.03" pieces of gold-plated-something (probably copper or kovar) to a piece of wire and dropped them in until they looked consistantly shiney. Then I took then and put them into a cup of distilled (reverse osmosis) water and gave them 3v which eqauted a current draw of about 2.5ma for a little while so I got a few bubbles. Then I killed the power and checked the open circuit voltage 0.57v and current 0.5ma. Not quite enough for a led... I did try plating some copper sheet I have but the coating looked really dark and didn't cuase H2O2 to decompose so I am guessing it reacted with the copper or something. confused

In any case, if you are interisted I still have about 30ml of the .01M solution I made up and the 4 pieces I plated if you want them shades pm me if you want to arrange a trade (I am not very atached to it tongue ) I should also point out that there are 2 250' spools of pure platinum wire on ebay at ~$25 with 2 days left suprised
EEYORE
Tue Aug 29 2006, 05:26AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
... wrote ...

looks like it is going to be a fun day... I am etching a few pcb's and a platinum plating some copper sheet, and registering for school, and I get to go back to the internship and see how progress has been amazed

What should I plate? I am thinking some copper sheet? Probably dip the copper in some HCL to clean it off then electrolyse in platinic acid... I have some gold plated kovar and gold plated copper if you think that might work better (I couldn't find anywhere that said what you can plate platinum on). I could also nickle plate something then use the platinum (I have gold, silver, copper, and nickle plating kits, as well as the bottle of H2PtCl6*6H2O and tons of CuSO4*5H2O)

Edit:
I made up 50ml of a .0100M platanic acid solution and transfered 10ml into another dixi cup (very limited glassware here) and dropped in a piece of gold plated copper (mirror finish) and a pencil lead planning to and as I was getting ready to hook it up to a power supply I noticed the copper was silver amazed It just plated out onto the copper on its own. And it looks like it is pretty pure, dropping it some 3% H2O2 bubbled pretty good (but less than maganese me thinks) but trying methanol didn't do anything. The methanol smelled a little wierd (sorta of a stale smell folowed by a burning ill ) so i tried some 60% methanol 20% nitromethane 20% oil r/c car gas and still didn't get anything frown

Not to be discouraged, I soldered 2 ~.25"x.5"x.03" pieces of gold-plated-something (probably copper or kovar) to a piece of wire and dropped them in until they looked consistantly shiney. Then I took then and put them into a cup of distilled (reverse osmosis) water and gave them 3v which eqauted a current draw of about 2.5ma for a little while so I got a few bubbles. Then I killed the power and checked the open circuit voltage 0.57v and current 0.5ma. Not quite enough for a led... I did try plating some copper sheet I have but the coating looked really dark and didn't cuase H2O2 to decompose so I am guessing it reacted with the copper or something. confused

In any case, if you are interisted I still have about 30ml of the .01M solution I made up and the 4 pieces I plated if you want them shades pm me if you want to arrange a trade (I am not very atached to it tongue ) I should also point out that there are 2 250' spools of pure platinum wire on ebay at ~$25 with 2 days left suprised
Try using KOH + the methanol with the platinum plated electrodes...
Could it be that the plating must be ultra ultra thin?Seems that if the mini methanol fuel cell cost just 30$, then they likely use very VERY little platinum...Probably next to none, just a large surface with incredibly thin plating...Also, I beleive one of the electrodes somehow employs managanse Link2
Matt
Carbon_Rod
Tue Aug 29 2006, 07:14AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Stop the press! -- Heterogeneous catalysts need surface area. LOL =D

The acid is at most $60 US a gram for super pure samples (IIRC well under $50 + tax.)
Tue Aug 29 2006, 02:32PM
I don't have any KOH arround though sad

I coud plate much larger pieces (I could do at least a sqaure inch single sided to a mirror finsih) in a puddle of 10ml of the .01M solution if I had a big enough substrait to put it on... I was hoping that copper would work but it looks like it is reacting incorrectly and giving me a black coating that doesn't do anything mistrust I guess I could try gold plating a piece of copper, then platinum plating it...
Bored Chemist
Tue Aug 29 2006, 02:48PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
I think that you have met an unusual problem; you havea nice clean shiny mirror finish to yout Pt coating.
More than half the time I ever tried coating anything I got a lousy black smudge that didn't even look like metal, never mind the nice mirror finish I wanted.
Unfortunately, for what you want, that black (because it has a poor surface finsh and, therefore, lots of surface area) smudge is just what you want.
I sugest that you try electroplating more Pt onto the layer you have. With a high current density you will probably get a blackish layer that will work better.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: