Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

811A tube coil

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
EDY19
Sun Feb 19 2006, 03:03PM Print
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
I was looking at the 811A datasheet for a new tesla coil, and people say that they run them off from a MOT- however, the voltage on the datasheet is only 1500V max. Are people just running them with the output of the mot rectified and not level shifted to leave the output at around 2000V even though this is still above the tube rating?
HV Enthusiast
Sun Feb 19 2006, 04:25PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Yes, most of the 811A based VTTCs do not use a multiplier or level shifter. For example, Steve Ward runs his 833A coils from a 2000V MOT.

Sun Feb 19 2006, 05:43PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Most people run them directly off the mot (2kv), although I have found that they will take the 4..5kv from a voltage doubled mot :)
Really the only thing you need to watch out for is tank capacitance, which sets how many tubes in parallel you need. With .5nf you can run with a single tube off a mot, but if you want to run with a voltage doubled one you are going to need 2 in parallel.
Good Luck!
Philcogrump
Sun Feb 19 2006, 05:46PM
Philcogrump Registered Member #212 Joined: Sun Feb 19 2006, 05:42PM
I personally saw an old VTTC built in the 1960s by a fellow radio collector using two 811As and a huge 4000V transformer. Either it worked off 4kV somehow or he used the center tap for 2kV instead. It worked well, gave out about 6-7" sparks.
EDY19
Sun Feb 19 2006, 05:53PM
Im not looking for long sparks, I just want to audio modulate it. I think the coil will be wound on a ~2 inch by 8 inch form, very portable.
Sun Feb 19 2006, 06:51PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
In that case I would recommend a pair of 811a'a running off a full wave rectified mot and a .3nf tank cap or so to get sparks in the 4" range. Running CW is going to be a pain, because you are going to have much higher average powers than the coils running strait off a mot...

BTW, I am using a secondary that is 2.7" by 5" would with 32awg wire and it heats up to about 140F when running with .5nf on an unrectified mot, so I would recommend using relatively large wire. The pvc form actually expands almost 1/8" during runs amazed
EDY19
Sun Feb 19 2006, 08:27PM
Im trying to get some 28 wire, so that should be good i think. Why go to two? I really wanna be simple and stick with one- also keep costs down. I can just adjust stuff to get small sparks rather than going with two tubes, right?
EEYORE
Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:56PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
EDY19 wrote ...

Im trying to get some 28 wire, so that should be good i think. Why go to two? I really wanna be simple and stick with one- also keep costs down. I can just adjust stuff to get small sparks rather than going with two tubes, right?
Yup, im doing the same thing right now. Ive gotten about 2.5inchers with very crude tuning and no tweaking with one 811a....

Matt
HV Enthusiast
Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:36PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
As a baseline, be sure to check Steve Ward's dual 811A coil. (Search google for his website)
I believe his circuit is based on John Freau's original schematic.

EDY19
Mon Feb 20 2006, 07:46PM
Ok, Ill check that- I also read through the FAQ on steve wards site- very informative for someone who isn't much into tubes!!! The schematic I am looking at is this one- and I have identified which component is which when compared with steves basic circuit so I can get proper ratings etc. Does this one look alright? Also I'm thinking grid leak anywhere inbetween 30k and 50k ohm range? Heres the schematic:
Link2
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: