All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Building capacitors for HERF usage...

Move Thread LAN_403
xenoglyph
Mon Mar 11 2013, 10:29AM Print
xenoglyph Registered Member #10944 Joined: Mon Mar 11 2013, 09:40AM
HERF devices are really interesting to me and I definitely want to build something. I'm not poor, but I also can't justify spending thousands on a whim. The main barrier to entry that I can see are decent capacitors, so my first mission is to build some decent caps.

First off, how much capacitance is actually needed? What I mean is, would it be more important to have high capacitance 100kv or low capacitance 500kv for the purpose of efficient HERF usage?

Here was my first idea for building a capacitor, please give me some feedback on whether I'm heading in the right direction or whether there's an easier/cheaper way to go:

container: 7 gallon bucket (~19" height, ~10" diameter)
conductor: aluminum foil, 18 inches wide
insulator: electrical grade polyester film, 1400 gauge (20kv rated minimum, hopefully higher?), 19 inches wide
top it off with some mineral oil and call it good?

I've also seen it mentioned a few places that some people were using spools of coax as a capacitor, with the shielding and inner wire acting as the conductors. Much of the cable I've seen though has limited specs available, and wildly varying data....and I don't really feel like burning up coax in my garage.

Andy
Sun Mar 24 2013, 11:39PM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Hi, You could use pvc roofing, it can handle 50kv/mm, and gets around 10nF for 12 sheets with 2 sheets thick.
Conundrum
Mon Mar 25 2013, 07:05PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
What about using multi core HDD cable, that has inter-pair breakdown strength in the 10KV range for 40 wire, and you can source it easily enough.
Folks use it for glow discharge plasma devices..

Another thought is to use bell wire, that is fairly cheap and good for a few kV if pristine and not nicked or sharply bent.

xenoglyph
Sun Apr 07 2013, 04:09AM
xenoglyph Registered Member #10944 Joined: Mon Mar 11 2013, 09:40AM
Thanks for the replies guys. PVC sounded promising at first, but I think 50kv/mm is a bit optimistic, and running some quick numbers in my head I think the value is less than mylar regarding the amount of dielectric strength per dollar.

With the PVC I'd have to run it extra thick and lose out on capacity, too. If I come across some for cheap though it's still a hell of an idea.

I'd like to treat the foil somehow too that isn't incredibly labor intensive. Poke holes in it with a roller or something like that. I wonder if some kind of chemical etching could be used to increase the surface area without making it too fragile to handle?
Ash Small
Sun Apr 07 2013, 11:23AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
PVC cable, in my opinion, would have too much inductance and resistance.
Andy
Mon Apr 08 2013, 02:59AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
I'd like to treat the foil somehow too that isn't incredibly labor intensive. Poke holes in it with a roller or something like that. I wonder if some kind of chemical etching could be used to increase the surface area without making it too fragile to handle?
If you can find some Barium Titante or Calcium copper titante it will increase the capacitance by factor of 1000-10000 respectively if you had a lay between the two plates. About 50kv running it at half had no breakthrought, at 60kv two sheets didn't arc
HV Enthusiast
Mon Apr 08 2013, 03:11PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
I would construct a marx generator for this purpose. Then you only need low voltage capacitors for each stage of the marx generator (i.e. 40kV per stage) for a total of 10 stages and a theoreticaly output pulse of 400kV.

The output of this can then be channeled into a horn antenna (or similar) as required, although the horn antenna has to be capable of withstanding the voltage.

Typically, EMP pulse generators are designed with marx generators and designed so the total output impedance is 50 ohms. Then its easy to couple efficiently to a 50 ohm antenna. Although easy is a relative term.

Note, a marx generator by itself creates a wideband EMP wave when fired.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: