Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Theoretical improvements for ETG?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Sat Mar 02 2013, 07:57AM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I woke up this morning with an idea forming in my head.

I also found that Maxwell had posted this:

Maxwell wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

I've also been thinking, as E=1/2CV^2, does it make more sense to connect capacitors in series, rather than in parallel? (more voltage, but less charge, but energy is a factor of V^2)

You typically get more bang for your buck as you increase your voltage rating.... but the capacitance quickly drops off. In CG's, the higher voltage, lower capacitance, faster pulses. In these ETG's, if a longer pulse is beneficial, greater capacitance is needed.

Now, Yanderson has recently experimented with adding coils to ETG's to get bigger/longer sparks. How do we put all this together?

What we have is a capacitor, spark gap, and coil....where have I seen that before?....the primary circuit of an SGTC.

If you get the circuit to oscillate, you get a longer, high voltage spark, you can also use the coil to get the spark to spiral, or whatever, (Z-pinch) lengthening arc length. If the capacitor is charged to a sufficiently high voltage, the circuit should oscillate for quite a while. (long enough to significantly lengthen the pulse, anyway)

I think I need to build some more saltwater capacitors and experiment.

Any commemnts will be appreciated.

Yandersen
Sat Mar 02 2013, 11:18AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Agreed, efficiency of air-operating ETG will be higher if ions will not be able to reach electrodes, so the period of voltage inversion should be shorter than the time it takes for ion to travel the distance between electrodes. The problem is that the speed of ions is different and mass too. And after all, the microwave does the same. :)

Let's think about the process of electric discharge through the ionized air. Once ion formed near one electrode, it goes toward another. Electric field accelerates it - that is what we need. But when ion hits another electrode, all it's kinetic energy either heats up electrode, vaporizing it, or breaks neutralized ion back. And this is unavoidable because we can't discharge cap faster than it takes ions to travel between electrodes.

So as for air discharge, I think it makes more sense to make a laser as ion recombination process is dominant here. If we concentrate on this goal, then air gap should be minimal, voltage is minimal, capacitance - maximum, pressure is maximum. With this setup we minimize increase of kinetic energy achieved by ion traveling and maximize the number of ions.
Ash Small
Sat Mar 02 2013, 12:47PM
Suppose, for example, that tungsten electrodes are used, vapourization of electrodes will be minimal.

Suppose also, that a higher voltage is used, spark gap can be much bigger, increasing 'time of flight' of ions.

Suppose also, that spark oscillates several; times before dying away, more energy goes into the chamber, over a longer period.

Suppose, also, that spark length is increased using the coil to make the spark spiral.

Suppose, also, that water is added to the chamber.

If a higher voltage spark has more energy, but spark duration is too short, why not use bi-polar capacitors, and make the spark oscillate backwards and forwards a few times? (you already have all the components of a 'spark tank')
Yandersen
Sat Mar 02 2013, 01:32PM
In practice it doesn't! After the shot voltage reversed from 760 to -220V if inductor used, but without I got 30-70V Left.

Well, I have a solution if you got so interested. Chamber is a copper cylinder - first electrode. It has cylindrical magnet placed over that pipe. Inside the chamber as a central axis, goes another cylindrical electrode (like pipe inside the pipe). This one has stick magnet hidden inside. Both magnets repel each other, so flux lines go along the chamber through the space between two pipes. Any ions traveling between those pipes will be forced to circulate around the central electrode. As a result a spark will blur into ring.
Now assume central pipe is thicker in the one end. So first spark will happen here and blur into ring. As current will rise, the plasma ring will be forced to move along the chamber (like in a circular railgun) kinda pushing onto the air in front of it. As a result, moving plasma ring will disturb all the air inside the chamber (like a laser net in Resident Evil).
Ash Small
Sat Mar 02 2013, 06:03PM
Yandersen wrote ...

In practice it doesn't! After the shot voltage reversed from 760 to -220V if inductor used, but without I got 30-70V Left.

Well, I have a solution if you got so interested. Chamber is a copper cylinder - first electrode. It has cylindrical magnet placed over that pipe. Inside the chamber as a central axis, goes another cylindrical electrode (like pipe inside the pipe). This one has stick magnet hidden inside. Both magnets repel each other, so flux lines go along the chamber through the space between two pipes. Any ions traveling between those pipes will be forced to circulate around the central electrode. As a result a spark will blur into ring.
Now assume central pipe is thicker in the one end. So first spark will happen here and blur into ring. As current will rise, the plasma ring will be forced to move along the chamber (like in a circular railgun) kinda pushing onto the air in front of it. As a result, moving plasma ring will disturb all the air inside the chamber (like a laser net in Resident Evil).

I was thinking something more like a conventional ETG chamber, with the projectile at the chamber end of the barrel, with some water in the chamber.

The idea would be to concentrate the heat in the chamber, vapourizing the water, and superheating it.

I'm thinking several thousand volts, and not much capacitance, as energy is a function of V^2.

A smaller capacitance and inductance will give a fast oscillation period (higher frequency) in the spark tank.

I've obtained some huge sparks from 200nF saltwater capacitors charged with a DC flyback in the past, I think adding an inductor to increase spark length and to try to get it to oscillate must be worth a try. Adding some neodymiums might be worth trying as well (You should get a tighter helix that way).

I'm going to have to give this a try sometime.
Yandersen
Tue Mar 05 2013, 11:26AM
Some people on russian forums say that aluminum foil used in ETG works like a burning materrial - being heated and evaporized, Al reacts with oxygen inside the chamber producing the tremendous amount of heat that actually does the majority of the job of bullet propelling. In other words, the electrical energy required only for vaporization of aluminum - the rest is done by conventional combustion.
MrFlatox
Tue Mar 05 2013, 01:25PM
MrFlatox Registered Member #9349 Joined: Mon Jan 07 2013, 08:50AM
interesting.

So how someone on this forum succed with a air fueled ETG.
Ash Small
Tue Mar 05 2013, 01:30PM
Yes, aluminium is a common rocket fuel, powdered and mixed with a suitable oxidizer.

The main advantage of not using foil in an ETG is it's simpler to re-load. It's much simpler to inject some water than to connect another piece of foil between the electrodes.

I'm getting my new workshop sorted at the moment, and hope to get my lathe installed at Easter (if all goes to plan).

I do have a few other projects underway which are waiting until the workshop is fitted out, but I will try this when I get a chance.

I was obviously mistaken about energy being a function of voltage squared, but I think there may be some advantages to using higher voltage, (ie the main discharge will jump the gap without superimposing a high voltage on it), and, by using a coil and bi-polar capacitors, it could be made to oscillate to lengthen discharge time. Using a metal chamber will presumably mean the coil will need to be inside the chamber, which does pose quite a challenge, though. (Some form of ceramic coating may be the solution here, it could have several advantages, as both electrical and heat insulation). Current will be a lot less, which has some advantages (resistance will be less of an issue). The same amount of energy should give the same amount of heat.

If it doesn't work, I can just use the HV to start the discharge, and use lower voltage capacitors for the main discharge, as you have done.

I think it's worth more research, as it will make re-loading much simpler than using foil.

I'll give it some more thought in the meantime.
2Spoons
Tue Mar 05 2013, 09:31PM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
No reason why you couldn't use a liquid fuel instead of Al or water. Methanol comes to mind - easy to get, easy to handle, only nasty if you are stupid enough to drink it. Easier to vaporize than water or aluminium (less energy needed). Plenty of other candidates too.
Yandersen
Tue Mar 05 2013, 09:39PM
-Honey, are you drunk?! You all smell like...
-Nommm, mum, I was j'ssst shootin' my eletramagun...

Well, Al foil, huh? 6.7 KJ per 1 gram of aluminum foil burned in oxigen - how about that "addition" to ETG "efficiency"?
Ethanol is 30KJ per 1g though. Methanol is slightly less and it is toxic.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: