Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

1.4kJ electrothermal gun

first  5 6 7 8 
Move Thread LAN_403
Wizzup
Sun Jun 30 2013, 02:14PM
Wizzup Registered Member #3302 Joined: Sun Oct 10 2010, 02:21PM
Thanks, I just uploaded a video of another outside shooting with a much larger projectile: Link2
radhoo
Sun Jun 30 2013, 02:18PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
I watched both, nice! How is the barrel attached to the discharge chamber presented in one of the pics Link2 ?
Wizzup
Sun Jun 30 2013, 02:21PM
The barrel and the chamber have M10x1.5mm threads on them so I just put some PTFE tape on the barrel threads and screw it in.

Also I wrote it already in the video describtion but I bought 6 pieces capacitors from ebay today, they have same stats as my current ones so I will wire them for a bank of 4700uF at 1350V, thats about 4.3kJ. The new setup should discharge in the same time as the current one but will deliver 3x the energy. I cant wait for them to arrive so I can start building it.
Wizzup
Thu Jul 04 2013, 04:47PM
The new capacitors arrived today, I tested all of them and they work well. 6 pieces of them, 4700uF 450V each. I will get some copper pipe tomorrow that I will flatten for busbars and connect the caps for a nice bank.

EDIT: I will put a 47k bleeding resistor for each row of 3 caps in parallel so they will keep the bank discharged when not used and they also act as balancing resistors. I will not trust only those resistors to keep every row at balance but I will also put 3 separate voltmeters in place to measure the voltage of each row so that I can stop charging if one row is going near 450V.
radhoo
Thu Jul 04 2013, 05:27PM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
I would use a regulated power supply to charge them, instead of measuring the voltage and stopping the loading process manually, the power supply should be capable of providing the selected voltage, and not more. Nevertheless these are `minor` details, looking forward to your new test! :)
Wizzup
Thu Jul 04 2013, 05:39PM
I know that a regulated power supply would be good but I don't really see a need for one right now, my charger is not that powerful and my bank is pretty big compared to it so the voltage won't rise that fast.

EDIT: Capacitors are now connected, I got some 1.5mm thick copper sheet from a local shop instead of flattened copper pipe and it became very nice in my opinion: Link2 The new capacitors have attachment bolts on their bottom so the bank is attached to the wood under the capacitors so it is very sturdy. I will build a new switch tomorrow maybe because I dont really like the current one.

EDIT2: I got 30k bleeding resistors instead of 47k, I made them by connecting 2 15k 5W resistors in series and I have extra ones so I can change them to 45k if needed. I made a new switch that works in a different way than the old one and is much sturdier design. Also I put double cables everywhere to decrease the resistance and replaced many aluminum connections with copper.

Here are some pictures about the new setup:
Link2 bleeding resistors
Link2 bleeding resistor closeup
Link2 new switch
Link2 switch surfaces
Link2 switch surfaces top view
Link2 trigger
Link2 overview
Link2 side overview
Link2 chamber front
Link2 chamber back

If you want more pictures from some specific spots don't be afraid to ask.

I still need to make a safety discharge thing to this because the old one that just shorts the terminals isn't very good. I thought about a light bulb but I would need like 4 of those in series to prevent them from blowing up as my bank's max voltage is 1350V. Ofcourse the bleeding resistors will discharge the bank but it will take several minutes, I would like to have a better option than just waiting.

I did the first firing of the thing at 900V ~1.9kJ with a 6mm steel bearing, the result was very much like my previous shot on the aluminum but the crater was a little larger in diameter. I will have to wait for my 10M resistor to arrive so I can charge past 1000V as that is the max of my multimeter.

EDIT3: I made nice casings for the bank and charger from wood and lexan, they are now easier to handle and much safer. Now I dont have to worry too much if a diode or something blows up. Also for the safe discharge system, I ordered 2x 100W 15k resistors that I will put in parallel and discharge the bank through those. I dont know yet how I will switch the discharge system but Ill come up with something.

Here are some pics:
Link2 bank front panel
Link2 bank overview
Link2 charger front panel
Link2 charger overview
Wizzup
Sat Jul 20 2013, 04:02PM
I fired this thing with 3.3kJ energy and the chamber's nylon insulator couldn't take the pressure so it ripped out the nylon threads and the electrode hit the brick behind the ETG with some serious force... Link2

Here is a video of the shot: Link2

Even though the insulator blew out the projectile was accelerated to 225.7m/s regarding to the chrony so that is about 215J kinetic energy and about 6.5% effiency. That is pretty good in my opinion when you take into account that a lot of gas was wasted because of the insulator...

I will have to make a new chamber with longer threads for the insulator or make some kind of extra attachment thing for the current one to prevent it from blowing out.

I am considering buying a mini lathe, with it I could easily make a much better chamber and projectiles and lots of other stuff for other projects.
Goodchild
Thu Aug 15 2013, 08:56PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Wosa, how did I get over here? I frequent the Tesla coil forum the most but this has got my attention. Partly because I love electronics and also because I love real firearms in general.

What catches my interest is that even with your failed chamber you managed to get a projectile energy of nearly double what is seen with stock .22LR. (~160J) I imagine that you could approach 500J with a properly designed chamber and slightly more Q. This is entering the realm of 9mm pistol muzzle energies (~520J).

I can honestly say that this is the first hobby built electro style gun (that I have seen) that actually approaches the world of real firearms!
I may just have to build something like this in the near future. Great work, can’t wait to see more!
Kizmo
Thu Aug 22 2013, 10:11AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
I shot 8mm projectile through 4mm steel plate ;)

Link2

Wizzup: if you ever need more capacitors or parts for your ETG just contact me, i have huge stash of 3300µF caps and i can machine pretty much anything.
Wizzup
Thu Aug 22 2013, 02:09PM
Very nice shot :) What was the capacitor configuration in that shot? I tried shooting a 2mm steel plate with the old 1.4kJ bank but my projectile tip just crushed and made a large dent on the plate, I guess I need to use harder steel to make it penetrate steel.

Before getting any more capacitors I need a new chamber that can hold the current pressures without blowing up so I have been looking for a small lathe to do the parts for my cannons, I am considering this one Link2 as the working space of the lathe is 550mm long so I can do small and medium size parts with it and have some space to work. In Finland that same model costs about 1400 euros but just 900 euros if I buy it from Netherlands. You have experience with machining equipment Kizmo so do you think it is a good price for the machine or should I maybe look for an older used machine? I would use it to machine small parts such as ETG chambers and similar size parts from aluminum and steel and sometimes maybe a bit larger parts too.

I appreciate it that you could do the machining for me but I have a few other projects in my mind too that I would need a lathe in so I see it is better to get my own lathe. I will be interested in those 3300uF capacitors though when I make a new chamber so I will send you a PM here or in youtube when the time comes :) I can also send you my skype if you want to talk more.
first  5 6 7 8 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: