Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Vortex Cannon construction

Move Thread LAN_403
Superkuh
Sat Aug 26 2006, 03:27AM
Superkuh Registered Member #59 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:45AM
Tesladownunder wrote ...
Blowing over a mannequin is a lot easier than blowing over a real person.
Yes, though the ~500 joules of energy stored in the rapidly rotating core of the SARA combustion prototype is enough to knock both of the mentioned objects over--especially if the coherent core is carrying an appropriate incapacitating chemical agent (to disable the active balance system of the later object). They are just vehicles for the chemical agents if you are talking about crowd control uses.

The empirically derived formula for predicting vortices behavior at these high energy levels should work just as well for optimizing less non-linear (at the formation; vortices are still soliton-like when formed) air compression/pressure sources.
HV Enthusiast
Wed Sept 06 2006, 01:40PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
I plan on using a very sturdy commerical plastic garbage can (35 gallon i think). Do you think a small smoke machine (like the one you have), placed inside the unit would affect performance at all? Of course, i can just try it, but thought i'd ask based on your experience first.
Thanks again
Tesladownunder
Wed Sept 06 2006, 03:00PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
You wont be able to mount the smoke generator transversely and only just longitudinally. I would just use some duct tubing into a hole in the side from the generator. It doesn't have to be really air tight as everything is low pressure.

I would just make it first and blow smoke in with the generator from the front. You will have a good idea of what it is like then and how to join it up. Don't have to be too clever with these things as no rockets involved.

While cycling the other day I picked up water dispenser container. I suppose 20litre but has a 2 inch outlet at one end and nearly fully open at the other. Couldn't pass it by as it was 10k from the nearest town. It might be interestig to try to shape the outlet with a central cone to see what effect it has on efficiency.

Peter
HV Enthusiast
Wed Sept 06 2006, 03:37PM
Cool, thanks again!
Dan
EEYORE
Fri Sept 08 2006, 03:16PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hey guys,
while browsing United Nuclear, I came across something you may fimd interesting...
Link2
Matt
Dr. Slack
Sat Sept 09 2006, 07:40AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
I saw this thread start while I was painting the ceiling. Finally the 5 litre paint can's empty, and I've got a few minutes to cut a hole in the bottom. A dead air-bed I've kept for who knows how long yielded a rubber diaphram. I used a 'smoke match' for the smoke generator. These are available from plumber's merchants, gas fitters use them for looking for back-flow down flues. A box of 20 for 50p, they burn for 20 seconds or so, so are fine for a quick look, but would get expensive for an open day demonstration.

With a 60mm hole, I saw 2x diameter rings out to 1.5m in daylight, but I'm sure with a torch in the dark I would see better than that.

A smoke generator I made years ago (don't ask me) consisted of a 1 watt resistor wound with several turns of paper, held in place by wire. A few watts pumped into it was enough to char the paper for a minute or two, without it bursting into flames, and allowing the resistor to be used again. Now these would be cheap enough to use continuously just by replacing the paper, rewinding one while the other was smoking.
ragnar
Sat Sept 09 2006, 11:32AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I've used rolled up newspapers to make smoke. The idea being to ignite it at the bottom, on the inside, then extinguish the flame so that it smoulders. By controlling the width of the opening at the base, and the looseness between layers, you can vary the length, density and pooey-yellowness of the smoke. ^^

An A3-sized sheet of newspaper would smoke horribly for at least two minutes =-D
HV Enthusiast
Sat Sept 09 2006, 01:53PM
Thanks again for the help. Vortex cannon is complete and i'm ready to do my cousin's 4 year old birthday party this afternoon. Should be the hit of the party!!! I'll post some photos tonite.

Dan

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: