Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

CRT into HV cap?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
King_of_Junk
Sun Aug 20 2006, 08:16PM Print
King_of_Junk Registered Member #481 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:10PM
I've heard of making a CRT into a high voltage capacitor, but there is little to be found on the exact method. I thought you were to do something like put aluminium foil over the screen and use the regular connection for the flyback, but rather than haphazardly experiment I'd like some info. Anyone know anything- sites or anything- about using CRTs as caps?

I was planning on using one or more as the caps in a flyback driven tesla coil. Please notify me if this is unwise.
Marko
Sun Aug 20 2006, 09:10PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
It's pretty bulky, low capacitance and leaded glass is probably even more lossy than 'normal' colorless glass.

Simple bottle caps are much less silly idea. ANd they won't implode if you drop them.
Bjørn
Mon Aug 21 2006, 12:46AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
The CRT is a capacitor, it has a conductive coating on the inside and outside. It is used to smooth the output from the flyback. The glass is thick so the capacitance is low but it is reliable at high voltages.
benbradley
Mon Aug 21 2006, 02:21AM
benbradley Registered Member #312 Joined: Mon Mar 13 2006, 01:50AM
The CRT is a capacitor, it has a conductive coating on the inside and outside. It is used to smooth the output from the flyback. The glass is thick so the capacitance is low but it is reliable at high voltages.

What is the application? If you need high current (as in a TC resonant capacitor) I have my doubts that it would work. The coating is, I think, carbon and somewhat resistive. It works fine for the high voltage and very low current the CRT uses, but the effective series resistance could be a problem for some applications.
Terry Fritz
Mon Aug 21 2006, 10:18PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

I used to fix TVs, prolly before you all were born cheesey I don't even have a TV now amazed

But the picture tube forms a high voltage capacitor between the inside metal coating and the outside coating to filter and stabilize the HV from the flyback and recitifier. But the current there is very "low". Tesla coils like very "high" current. TV like 0.02Amp, Tesla coil like 500Amps(!!).

However, even DigiKey sells HV caps in the $25 to $75 range that are like a thousand times better: 445-2271-ND, 445-2266-ND, 445-2257-ND. Just search on ceramic caps at like 20, 30, 50 kV wink)

But for a Tesla coil, we are talking hundreds of amps!!! You need "MMC" caps for that. Just google search on "MMC capacitor" and you will find them wink)

If it weren't for the lead, the old TV tube would be a fun shotgun taget tongue

If you need "cheap" go with beer bottle caps....

Cheers,

Terry

Dr. Drone
Mon Aug 21 2006, 11:50PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Avalanche
Tue Aug 22 2006, 01:49AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
I second the bottle caps. I've run a successful mini TC from a flyback and the remains of a nights drinking! See my sig (shameless site plug :p )

GODSFUSION
Tue Aug 22 2006, 04:51PM
GODSFUSION Registered Member #157 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:00PM
Ive never used the CRTs as a capacitor simply for the reasons mentioned but since i diddent have access to Al sheets or well anything to use as an electrode i used the sheets of whatever they are used as the electron mask inside thre screen. I made two rolled caps and filled the cvap wth xfrmer oil to help fill the air gaps in the hols.

I wouldent suggest trying it though it is quite lossy and diddent hold a charge well over 4kv for more than a few seconds, i tried rolling the second tighter but it only upped to 7kv before dielectric breakdown after like a second.

Was a neat learning expereience though. cheesey

- Wayne -
King_of_Junk
Tue Aug 22 2006, 05:56PM
King_of_Junk Registered Member #481 Joined: Thu Jul 06 2006, 07:10PM
Thanks for all the help. I was going to use it in a flyback coil or something like that. I'm just trying to research for now.

So, any good bottle cap schematics out there?
EDY19
Tue Aug 22 2006, 07:36PM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
Bottle caps are really easy- do a search on google for a bottle capacitor, and lots of stuff will show up.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: