All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The SMPS modding thread (aka. The "Ask Dr. Steve" Thread)

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Sat Feb 11 2006, 05:43PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Yeah, I have modded my PSU in such a way that it basically runs on full duty cycle all the time, so when there is no load the voltage rises quite a bit.

I have not tried designing a SMPS myself, at the moment I am trying to learn all about them by modding existing ones. But I am sure EVR and Steve Conner can help you if you have specific questions.
Marko
Sat Feb 11 2006, 07:15PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Its simple to build SMPS with all-done ICs like TL494 , SG 3525...

But that need external low power PS for start and standby, some are high voltage and operate completly at mains side.

They just have to be connected to feedback, driver transistors and we can simply regulate output with potentiometer...

I had lots of problems designing small self-oscillating SMPS using regulation (as on given schematics) sad :-@
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Feb 12 2006, 08:37AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
That 20W resistor in the self resonant circuit needs to be replaced by a transistor in a zener mode!
Marko
Sun Feb 12 2006, 01:06PM
Circuit is not self-resonant, its yust normal astable.
Anything put thre (transistor, voltage stabiliser...) will suffer ohms law in same way as resistor does. Used transistors but11A.
Driver just eats too much current for base, at few tens of mA resistor has to disipate lots of power.

I was suprised by driver staying cool and stable with large loads, its just resistor that suffers, not the transistor.
When replaced by mosfet (this would be solution to overheating resistor) it started to heat up very fast...

I looked for solution long and only seems to add some external supply to circuit (then it stops to be smll and simple SMPS)...
It may be possible to use transformer with feedback and use it as power source, and that wasnt near my hand...

Tried also to power oscillator using high inductance choke but it needs really to be huge, tried capacitor as load but without sucess.

Last thing was using capacitor to limit current directly from mains, rectified and filtered but that made circuit unstable and humming, transistor overheated fast in humming transitions...

Dr. Shark
Mon Feb 13 2006, 08:32AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Have you tried reverse-engineering a normal PC PSU? I have not read about this anywhere, but from what I have seen, the main current loop driving the power transformer also has a two turn winding on the gate drive transformer. Apparently when the supply switches on, one of the transistors becomes active (by chance) and then the induced kick in this winding turns off the conducting transistor and turns on the other one. This is what drives the PSU as a simple blocking oscillator, until the TL494 takes over.

I hope it is OK to intentionally double post when it is for a completely different topic: I keep blowing bipolars in my SMPSs, but I only stock FETs, so I cannot replace them. So I was wondering if I could replace a BJT by a FET without any other extensice modifications? I suppose the driver circuit would not mind if the switch is not drawing any current, but I am not so sure about the voltage rising to the right level, and more importantly, falling to zero again for switching off. But with minimal modifications of a zener diode and a gate discharge resistor, could it work? I am sure Steve knows this!

[Just use paragraphs.-Ben]
Marko
Mon Feb 13 2006, 08:09PM
Have you tried reverse-engineering a normal PC PSU? I have not read about this anywhere, but from what I have seen, the main current loop driving the power transformer also has a two turn winding on the gate drive transformer. Apparently when the supply switches on, one of the transistors becomes active (by chance) and then the induced kick in this winding turns off the conducting transistor and turns on the other one.

Old SMPS have used technique to power up driver by 'kick', this one seems like that.
Power is applied and transistors themselves have to give starting pulses and power up TL494.
That kind of SMPS usually need power to be applied quickly or transistors would turn on too slow and starting voltage pulse would be too weak.

This actually doesnt exist any more today as standby voltage is needed and it is provided by small back up SMPS (also solved turnon problem).

<Some smaller sistems use voltage divider and zener stabiliser to give IC enough voltage for starting, or entire driver is just moved to high voltage side.

I hope it is OK to intentionally double post when it is for a completely different topic: I keep blowing bipolars in my SMPSs, but I only stock FETs, so I cannot replace them. So I was wondering if I could replace a BJT by a FET without any other extensice modifications? I suppose the driver circuit would not mind if the switch is not drawing any current, but I am not so sure about the voltage rising to the right level, and more importantly, falling to zero again for switching off. But with minimal modifications of a zener diode and a gate discharge resistor, could it work? I am sure Steve knows this!

Driver transformer for BJT is wound for low voltage and higher current, for turning on bipolars propertly.
Mosfets would just stay barely opet at 2-3 volts that gdt gives, they would start to dissipate huge amount of power and blow up.

If you remake gate driver circuit (transformer and few conponents) its no problem using MOSFETS.
Once made for mosfet you can replace them with IGBT and have huge power output (until you saturate transformer...)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: