All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The SMPS modding thread (aka. The "Ask Dr. Steve" Thread)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Shark
Thu Feb 09 2006, 12:30PM Print
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
We had a coulple on the old board, and we need one here!

I'll start with a question that evil Dr. Conner did not want to answer by email, so I'll repost it here. Maybe he's got more time now or someone else can jump in to fill the gap:

"On a PC PSU (200W AT) which I am in the process of modding, the output transistors of the TL494 provide pulses at only 2V PP, even though Vref is correctly at
5V and Vcc at 12V. This is of course insufficient to drive the output
transistors into saturation, so the PSU is not running on its own. I
have tried swapping the 494 for a new one, same problem. After lots of
scoping around, you are my last resort for a hint, so I hope I don't
bother you too much by asking you to do my work smile"
Steve Conner
Thu Feb 09 2006, 12:48PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The TL494's output stage is open collector (or emitter follower if you wire it the other way round but we won't go into that here.) It can only sink current and needs an external pull-up. So, if someone says a TL494 is giving out a too-small pulse, straight away I think of that.

Usually, the collectors are connected to the ends of a centre-tapped GDT winding, and the centre tap is connected to 12V. This makes a classic push-pull transformer drive for the power devices. In the case of a supply using bipolar power transistors instead of MOSFETs, there may be a current limiting resistor between the centre tap and the 12v rail. So I would check that resistor had not burnt out. Probing one of the TL494 outputs with a scope would show that your 2V p-p waveform was lying down near 0v.

I would also check, if the power supply used MOSFETs, that one of the gates had not failed short circuit. This would short out the gate drive.

Finally, if you changed the gate drive circuitry, maybe you forgot the need for a pull-up, and left it out?
Dr. Shark
Thu Feb 09 2006, 12:59PM
Thanks! Its great how you are sharing you knowledge even with "doh!'s" like me.
uzzors2k
Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:28PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Might as well keep things going, so...

I never metioned it on the old forum, but my modded PSU is actually quite stable while being overvolted. I've been running my ZVS setup at near 200W on one rail without any failuire( yet ).

Suggested reading for SMPS modders Link2
Dr. Shark
Fri Feb 10 2006, 02:40PM
Yep, thats a good one, and of course the TL494 Datasheet is recommended reading.
I am also attachting a schematic of an AT Power supply, because these are more easily available for free than the newer ATX ones.

Marko
Fri Feb 10 2006, 02:52PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Seen this lots of times.
I once tried to make larger version of small standby SMPS, and failed miserably.
In most schematics its mosfet driven and main drivers are bipolar transistors, exceptions can happen offcourse %-6

I used larger MOSFET (later bipolars) and transformer from monitor (SMPS, internal feedback)

I studied the oscillator and realized its just simple blocking oscilator controlled by throwing base/gate to negative (for output voltage regulation)

When couple of mosfets exploded (even with original schematic) I switched to bipolar.
One small transistor held long and blew up when I removed the load from transformer (motor).

After that I blew two 2SC2625 and left the stupid idea (seems impossible with their current and voltage ratings, but they died in seconds)
All protection diodes were fast schottky (originally from SMPS) and current was limited to around 200mA by isolation transformers, and voltage was set exactly to 220V AC..

Few times I got it to work with optocoupler regulation but that turned in LF, parasitic relaxation oscillation (few Hz) of output and could not be helped.
Transistor also got red hot when driven too low by optocoupler..

Transformer was of original SMPS use in monitor, and worked for loong time in similar setup..

Something went terribly wrong and I dont know what.
Al protections were included, I rebuilt exactly same schematic from that ATX supply, later i followed tracks on monitor and it was too bocking-like oscillator.

I may open new topic and include few schematics, if anyone interested...???

uzzors2k
Fri Feb 10 2006, 04:10PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
I'm interested, just keep it coming on this thread...
Marko
Fri Feb 10 2006, 06:44PM
Link2

This is what I tried to 'mod' (use bigger transformer) and it didnt work, even basically (i had to remove zener diode and increase gate cap to get it working, and without zener at 300V mosfet was torn in pieces ultimately.

Bipolars worked better but also died misteriously after few seconds...

Even after I copied almost exactly SMPS from monitor, same transformer, transistor and much conponents but I didnt make it.
Even when got working I couldnt establish stable feedback regulation like that in schematic.
It doesnt seem to affect frequency and duty cycle a lot, just lowers gate/base voltage too much and transistor stops to open fully..

such tiny 300VDC powered self-oscillating SMPS is what never worked good for me, I tried also one other schematic (home-made at all) and this one worked very good but one resistor had just to disipate 20wats... resistor R3 that limits current to entire multivibratorheats up dramaticaly, and it must be small enough to provide high base current for driver.

Link2

Super simple astable multivibrator of transistors, duty cycle precisely controlled by optocoupler and output voltage was very stable (rated voltage of zener + drop on coupler diode)...

Dr. Shark
Sat Feb 11 2006, 05:12PM
I think we had this on the old board, but I just got a reminder: Make sure you replace the electrolytics on your PSU if you mod it for a higher voltage! I was just running my AT PSU at 24V (it turned out that in fact the switching transistors had blown, the 2Vpp form the TL494 are perfectly normal - I keep forgetting bipoolars work on current, not voltage) for a few minutes and suddenly it goes bang, lets out its smoke, and it was the output filter electrolytic that had exploded.
Marko
Sat Feb 11 2006, 05:35PM
and it was the output filter electrolytic that had exploded.

Without load and feedback regulation of output (I tried it on my astable circuit) by ratio of turns output voltage can reagc ~ 80V.
Surely low voltage caps will blow with that (obivously you are talking about modding feedback for more voltage, ofcourse you must watch the capacitors).

Im interested has anybody built working mini-smps (like gsm cell charger) ?
(without using low voltage side oscilator, TL494 or so) ?
As I said it seems very hard..

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: