Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
a.gutzeit (63)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Weekend DRSSTC

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Sat Aug 19 2006, 01:21PM Print
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
okay, this project grew up yesterday, cause i have sooo many parts of my old drsstcs and experimental primaries etc liying around that i decided to use them in a quick but not dirty drsstc build and tested in a weekend. yesterday i searched for parts to use and came up with some really nice parts i found, such as

fullbridge of 40n60 igbts (almost finished)
primary with 6mm copper tubing and 7turns, inner diameter of 21cm, height of 10cm, strikerail etc (finished)
a nice hdpe case i build a few weeks ago already with a 80mm fan installed (finished)
10x wima fkp1 caps 100nf 1,6kV for a mmc of 300nF 3,2kV DC (finished)
some nice high frequency cases
yesterday i finished the driver (from my new drsstc6) and tested it ok
finished the mmc and the 1/1000 current transformer today.

still have to build the 1/140 feedback transformer and put it in a shielded case , have to wind the 2 gdts for the bridge and add some decoupling caps, tranzorbs etc to make the bridge work. here are a few pics.

Link2 (here is what i started with yesterday)
Link2 (finished driver in the small package,hehe)
Link2 (finished mmc, double sided pcb full tinned)
Link2 (the 1to1000 current transformer in a hf box

more to come very soon, still have to finish the bridge, the secondary and the toroid
secondary will be a 11x40 or 11x35cm wound with 0,17mm wire to give a fres of approx 90khz with a 10x30 toroid, but i doubt i can finish them this weekend cause i want a very nice toroid and that needs some time
Wilson
Sat Aug 19 2006, 02:55PM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
Man! Thats an incredibly tiny driver!! suprised
There are components on the other side of the PCB ... right?
Reaching
Sun Aug 20 2006, 12:22PM
small update, started to wire the things up as professional as i can, that needs some time and i have to build up a comparator charging circuit for the electrolytic cap too. dont want to use this old charging circuit i have on hand, its too stoneage like rolleyes
but things seems to do great and this will be a very powerful small portable drsstc when im finished. heres a pic of the current status

Link2

heres the front

Link2

okay, not finished this weekend, but the next weekend is only 5 days away, hrhr shades

more updates

working on a comparator charging circuit for the 2200yf electrolytic cap. status leds for charging and ready, seems to work fine on my breadboard, now im on building it on a pcb. when it works then i can finish the complete electronics today and can make first decisions on how to make a nice toroid and secondary shades

update

finished the charging circuit, it charges the cap up to 250volts dc via 2 charging resistors 190ohm 8 watt and when the cap reaches 250volts a relay bridges the charging resistors, so i can pull up the bridge relatively smooth without tripping the breaker while loading up the big bridge cap. therefore there are 2 leds one shows the charging status the second led goes on when the cap is full (~310volt dc)
there are 2 switches for this device, one to switch it on and the second to switch the bridge rectifier on and start the charging , when the switches are off the cap discharges automatically through a another resistor
Link2
Reaching
Thu Aug 24 2006, 05:33PM
new update

had a failure in my charging circuit due to a bad voltage divider but now it works fine and everything does like it should. finished the electronics today, and tommorow i can start winding the secondary. then i can do the first low voltage testruns and when everything works i can have first full power tests on saturday or sunday. cant wait to see this beast in action.

here are two pics of the current status

Link2 (okay not industrial standard but better than nothing)

Link2 (inside full of electronics)
more to come soon
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Thu Aug 24 2006, 08:54PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
very very nice.

When you're drilling your PCB's don't push down so hard, its deforming the fiberglass. Just let the drill do its job.
Reaching
Sat Aug 26 2006, 07:52AM
started doing some first low voltage resonant tests and got dissapointed cause the thing wont start to oscillate, but no problem, i found the failure on my driver pcb, i have 2 wrong turned diodes which leads the feedback signal to ground. now i have to change the diodes and hopefully the thing will do its job. more info to come soon, and a few scopeshots if everything works after fixing the failure

started doing first testruns and got first light today with around 50volts input some 10cm discharges. after fixing some problems with my driver i can now do first tests on mains voltage, hope that doesnt end in a disaster tongue

update

yeah, and it ended in a disaster and i cant find the failure, my fullbridge is just popping away when i test it on mains voltage. i thought it was the driver powersupply which was not enough smoothed , after fixing this i tested again, but the same failure, it is like the bridge is just turned on and ends like a bakon dead , . my thought is the feedback ct which has only 115turns , but why does this thing work on 50volts with all signals ok but not on mains voltage?
now im on building a new driver version with (almost the same like steve ward describes in his drsstc guide) hope the 1/1000 ct´s will fix the problem, hopefully,
Steve Ward
Mon Aug 28 2006, 10:35PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Seems unlikely that the CTs would be a problem. Ive used 1:100 CTs for feedback in the past, they seemed to work just the same as the 1:33 to 1:33 CT arrangement that ive been using more recently.

You might want to make sure you dont have some voltage transients killing the IGBTs.
williamn
Tue Aug 29 2006, 02:58AM
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
I have used 1:100cts for the feedback circuits on my past two coils and they work fine. I still use cascaded CTs for my current sense transformers becasue using a low value loading resistor casued all kinds of problems with faulty triggering. Your Cts should be fine. Could your clamping schema for feedback Ct be faulted causing your 5V logic to fry? Have you checked the operation of your logic?
Reaching
Tue Aug 29 2006, 10:27AM
yeah, logic and everything is fine. the only thing i wondered about was the feedback which sometimes stops at 20volt input on the bridge when i turn the on time higher or the off time lower, this problem is gone when i use 50volts on the bridge. and i dont think i kill the igbts in cause of voltage transients, okay i have not tvs on the bridge, but i never used them in my 6 drsstcs i build before, so the problem is a secret for me, .im very sure that it has to do with my high side cap charging circuit or with my driver (its a revised version of my drsstc6 controller which is a revised version of steve wards drsstc3 driver)

now a question, where should i put the ct and feedback transformer in and how does it behave , after the mmc or before the mmc ?? okay the current transformer should be mounted after the mmc to catch the real pulsed amperage but where does the feedback ct "work" better?. its like a noobish question for one who already build 6 drsstcs but 4 of them are secondary feedback which worked better for me than any primary feedback i tried so im in the thought to switch back to secondary base feedback with overcurrent protection.
i never popped a fullbridge by switching mains on it and never fried any igbts during a testrun when i worked with secondary feedback which is so "bad for the igbts" cause of no zero current switching etc, i dont share this opinion after 4 of my good igbts died so fast
williamn
Tue Aug 29 2006, 12:12PM
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
I always put the feedback CT before the MMC. If your logic is ok, I would suspect it has something to do with your gate drive, did you ever get a chance to use a scope and check for shoot through?
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: