Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

1kJ Electrothermal gun (ETG)

Move Thread LAN_403
MrFlatox
Tue Jan 15 2013, 03:42PM
MrFlatox Registered Member #9349 Joined: Mon Jan 07 2013, 08:50AM
take it easy, I did not meant to be aggressive nor disrespectful, and if you understood it that way, I apologize.
Yanom
Tue Jan 15 2013, 04:06PM
Yanom Registered Member #4659 Joined: Sun Apr 29 2012, 06:14PM
Hey, I just got an idea - how bout a combination ETG/Railgun? You would set up your copper contacts as rails, then the foil (which becomes plasma) would experience a forward force as well as a heating force as it goes toward the projectile. Basically a railgun where the heat losses are used for something?
Maxwell
Wed Jan 16 2013, 03:35AM
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
MrFlatox wrote ...

take it easy, I did not meant to be aggressive nor disrespectful, and if you understood it that way, I apologize.

Nahh, don't worry about Yandersen. He's just a bit pompous since he holds one of the highest efficiency CG's on 4HV. Also, he thinks monkeys are the only designers of cg's ;)
Jack A
Thu Jan 17 2013, 11:39PM
Jack A Registered Member #2975 Joined: Wed Jul 07 2010, 12:19AM
That's awesome!
That switch looks crazy!
Have you tried using more/less aluminium?
Also, from those muzzle flash pics, I can't help thinking that increasing the barrel length might do some good.
MrFlatox
Fri Jan 18 2013, 09:43AM
Thanks !

Sure, barrel lengh need to be greater than it is actually, it's the first thing I will modify when I will work on the ETG again.

As I understand it, the BB is propelled thanks to a combinaison of two things :

- the vaporization of the Al foil create hot gases and high pressure spike. It also ionises a path between the electrodes.

- the current continues to flow through ionised gases in the chamber, thus heating up more the small volume of gases contained in the chamber, creating more pressure.

But I think that a large proportion of the energy that the BB receives is actually coming from the second statement. Al foil is just there to open a path of ionised gas between the two electrodes.

Next thing I will also try, is to make a new chamber with a triggered spark gap, to prevent the use of Al foil. When this will be done, I will compare kinetic energy produced by both configuration, and know if Al foil participate actively in the BB propulsion or not.
Yandersen
Wed Feb 06 2013, 12:25AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
MrFlatox, I just got suddenly wondered what will happen in case of empty barrel shot, if you just put two magnets just near the exit creating the magnetic trap at the exit of a barrel - will it separate plasma or *maybe* form it into a ball lighting?..
Just interestied to see the effect of mag field perpendicular to the way plasma runs out of the barrel... Would you try?
MrFlatox
Wed Feb 06 2013, 08:14AM
Yeah I could try. You want to "deviate" the plasma by putting a magnet on one side of the barrel at the exit to see the effect it would have on the plasma ? I also have some microwave oven magnets (toroidal) that i could try.

I only have access to the ETG in the week end so I could not try what you suggest until saturday.

In the meantime, i also started to build another chamber made of steel fitting with less dead volume, and I also try to add a "spark gap" feature on this one. so stay tuned :)
Yandersen
Wed Feb 06 2013, 12:07PM
Thanks, MrFlatox, I will be happy to wait.
I think you can do sparking with just 1 turn on primary and around 5 turns on secondary (2kV) using the toroidal ferrite ring if you make a 1 mm gap between your electrodes. This way you will surely saturate the trans and get very low parasitic inductance during the shot. Howether, make sure electrodes do not melt - I have no idea how to protect them from it - I did not succeed...
MrFlatox
Fri Feb 08 2013, 08:26AM
What would be better between those two options to make a spark gap etg :

-12 turns on Etg side and 4 turns on HV side with air core transformer
Or
-4 turn on etg side and 1 turns on HV site with toroidal transformer core ?

I was also wondering if the pulse HV side could be supplied with a 40kv source instead of the 2kv mentioned above ? Would it works too ? I do not have a 2kv power supply, and i am too lazy to build one with a voltage multiplier from mains. But i have a functionning 40kv one ready to spit some volts.
Yandersen
Fri Feb 08 2013, 03:43PM
For a 40kV source you are good to go with 1:1 turn ratio on an air-core trans, I suppose - just twist an HV wire with an ETG cable. Where did you got a 40kV source?!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: