Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Planning a 2 stage Coil gun

Move Thread LAN_403
ZakWolf
Sat Jan 05 2013, 08:47AM Print
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
***I am going to start planning a project, I want to make a coil gun with two stages, i think i have had good results with past single stage coil guns pushing 288j.

I want to have 2 coils, one being a bank of 288j and the "injector coil" being 144 joules.

The only thing that is stopping me from starting is i cant find an optical trigger circuit for my coil gun, could someone give me a tested or preferred circuit...

thanks a million***

Didnt want to make a new thread:

I am using these calculators on Barry's Coilguns page Link2 Link2

My questions are:

1)if i use this optic trigger here Link2 (the first one) should i put it as close as possible to the second coil (just before) since if i read it correctly the trigger time is very fast.

2)Im going to make the second coil a cm shorter then the first and powered by half the strength of the first one( first coil has 244j and the second one for the final kick has 144j) does this sound like it should work ok ?

PSCG
Sat Jan 05 2013, 10:40AM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Check this good discussion. It gives a lot of info about simple optical triggering.

You could also use this circuit (under the "Projectile Detection" link). If you want a sharp output pulse, connect it's output to a 555 monostable and you will get your desired output pulse duration.
ZakWolf
Sat Jan 05 2013, 11:10AM
PSCG wrote ...

Check this good discussion. It gives a lot of info about simple optical triggering.

You could also use this circuit (under the "Projectile Detection"). If you want a sharp output pulse, connect it's output to a 555 monostable and you will get your desired output pulse duration.
Thanks for the reply but both links dont seem to work
PSCG
Sun Jan 06 2013, 10:03AM
Oh, it seems that my browser bugged while i was writing the reply. I corrected the first one so you can try again now. Sorry for that. The second one works for me. It opens a seemingly blank page but you can click on the links on the top of the page and will show the contents.
ZakWolf
Sun Jan 06 2013, 10:16AM
PSCG wrote ...

Oh, it seems that my browser bugged while i was writing the reply. I corrected the first one so you can try again now. Sorry for that. The second one works for me. It opens a seemingly blank page but you can click on the links on the top of the page and will show the contents.
Thanks the first linked worked but the second said"no 4hv allowed" O.o

I will do some more research thanks for the point in the right direction
ZakWolf
Mon Jan 07 2013, 06:43AM
If I use the optical trigger mention in the first post, what kind of LED do i need? a regular led or an infrared?
PSCG
Mon Jan 07 2013, 02:25PM
Weird, the link works for me and i tested it from multiple computers.

There is no reason for it not to work with a normal LED. Infrared LED's are a bit less prone to interference from usual light sources (although it does exist - i have come across this problem before). I have seen some coilgun projects use simple 640 nm laser pointers for detection with no problem.

Yes, position the optical trigger just before the entrance of the second coil. You might need to make some small adjustments to get the timing right (moving the sensor some mm before the coil's entrance).

Usual configuration for an "injector + accelerator" coilguns is a low power injector stage followed by the main accelerator (higher power) stage. But you can try your configuration and see what is the best for you. Later, you can easily swap them.

This is the image from the first link:

Detection1

Have success with your project!
ZakWolf
Mon Jan 07 2013, 03:29PM
PSCG wrote ...

Weird, the link works for me and i tested it from multiple computers.

There is no reason for it not to work with a normal LED. Infrared LED's are a bit less prone to interference from usual light sources (although it does exist - i have come across this problem before). I have seen some coilgun projects use simple 640 nm laser pointers for detection with no problem.

Yes, position the optical trigger just before the entrance of the second coil. You might need to make some small adjustments to get the timing right (moving the sensor some mm before the coil's entrance).

Usual configuration for an "injector + accelerator" coilguns is a low power injector stage followed by the main accelerator (higher power) stage. But you can try your configuration and see what is the best for you. Later, you can easily swap them.

This is the image from the first link:

Detection1

Have success with your project!

Thanks for the feed back i just have a couple more questions.

I would like to use this trigger circuit Link2

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: