Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Switching off parallel IGBTs in half bridge config

Move Thread LAN_403
DerAlbi
Sun Dec 30 2012, 07:09PM Print
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Hi guys,
The motivation sent me back to the Coilgun smile I have some verry nice IRGB30B60K (TO220 IGBTs for 600V, 75A) and tested them - they surived 200A for several milliseconds. I am planning to parallel them 64x for some higher current. They have a positive temp. coeff so current sharing is not the problem.

I want to focus on switching times here. Such a large array of IGBTs needs several gatedrivers. What timing do i need to guaranty?

1) Turn on timing: a mismatch between the gatedrivers is neglectable, because our load is an inductor, so there is no immeadiate turn-on-current.
2) Turn off timing: every IGBT conducts some current after switched off. But this is just a residual charge carried away to clear the junction, right?* Can this current can rise above the current that the IGBT conducted in its on-state? Can this current destroy the IGBT? In my understanding there is a specific energy stored in the junction - if that energy can not destroy the IGBT, everything is all right, isnt it?*

Worst case: every IGBT switches of at the same time but one does not - that one conducts 300ns longer.
What happens? Of course the tail current (first 100ns) is consumed by the coil, then the poor slow IGBT needs to source the "5kA" (haha)
What now? Does this IGBT blow up? Maybe.

If my timing varies within the turn-off-time of the IGBTs - is there any problem?*

What if i set the gate voltage to a value so that the IGBT can only conduct 120A (which is ok, respecting the datasheet) Then the "5kA" wil simply rise the collector-emitter-voltage until the halfbridge-diodes kick in. Under this condition 120A is drawn from the IGBT while there is the 350V capacitor-voltage applied. This condition is the short-circuit-condition for the IGBT, which it can surive for about 10us. (a bit longer since it can handle 120A at 600VUce for 10us - i have lower voltage)

Hmmh. Does limmiting the gate voltage really makes switching off that easy?* I now have some microseconds margin??
Of course there are new problems then.. the gate-threshold voltage has a negative temp coeff, so the hotter the IGBT gets, the more current it can conduct with the same gate voltage. Will the lower gate voltage increase problems with current sharing?*
This is relevant due to the following stages fire while the IGBTs could still be heated.

The gate voltage needs to be selected that unter normal condition the IGBT is saturated, while under stress the current is limited within the SOA.

Is my idea worth the Thread?*

*) Questions that i really want to know smile
Pinky's Brain
Sun Dec 30 2012, 07:41PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
What's the point in using IGBTs if you don't use something like a half bridge so you can recover the energy from the inductor?
Yandersen
Sun Dec 30 2012, 08:11PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
He-he. Those in the array which will turn off faster than the others will survive. God bless the rest. :)

DerAlbi, do you realize that dozen of stages operating at 600V and 75A each may form a most efficient halfbridge coilgun here?
DerAlbi
Sun Dec 30 2012, 08:38PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Pinky's Brain: of course there is a half bridge with diodes^^ that are the ones that limit the voltage, after turn off. Sry i should have called it an asymetric halfbridge.

Yandersen: there is no point in using the IGBTs seperately in single stages since the stages can be seperated with big SCRs. If one does not want to wait until the current falls back to zero, one can use two halfbridges in an alternating arrangement. (maybe i will try this)

But i really want to discuss the gate drive timing. Maybe i split my halfbridge into two.. but it doesnt matter: i need the paralleling and therefor i need the timing to be handled.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: