Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

separating smps transformer cores

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Avalanche
Fri Aug 18 2006, 01:48PM Print
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Hi,

I've broken about 3 cores now, and I have one left here cheesey

I have a few smps transformers, and I have salvaged the former from one (by breaking the ferrite), but now I need the two ferrite halves to make a complete transformer again. I have managed to cut the former and wire off some others, leaving just the two halves of the core stuck together with some kind of white resin. The problem is, the resin is pretty strong. I have tried boiling one for about 20 minutes, but still the ferrite breaks when I try to separate the two halves... Any ideas? Is it even possible to get this glue to soften, maybe soaking it in petrol or something?

I have a good supply of these transformers, so I can experiment. If all else fails, I'll have to just wind my transformer on one of the salvaged cores, leaving the former out... that would be a shame though.

Wilson
Fri Aug 18 2006, 02:01PM
Wilson Registered Member #78 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:27AM
Perhaps acetone? confused
btw, you can glue the broken ferrite back together with CA glue, and it works as new :P
Marko
Fri Aug 18 2006, 02:07PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
ATX transformers are dipped in epoxy and getting them apart is usually very frustrating and messy job.

I got one core out only once by heating the transformer with 500ºC hot air fan, I made terrible mess, stunk out whole room and mutilated the former.

Temperature required for epoxy to melt is simply way higher than ferrite is 'rated' for.

Core formed microfractures, and when I took the core later it just fell in two pieces.
I fixed it with superglue but I'm not happy at all with it.

Most cores and formers I tried to pull apart that way were trashed in beggining.

Cooking in water usually helps only with very small transformers, temperature isn't too high and core usually survives if you are careful.

Perhaps acetone?

No way..
Avalanche
Fri Aug 18 2006, 02:59PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Thanks for the replies

I've changed my mind about these transformers now, they are so difficult to separate I might as well just use them as they are. By modifying the way the windings come out, I should be able to use them as a GDT for a halfbridge.

Something I did want to do though was make a mains inverter, I managed to separate a larger monitor transformer by boiling it. Just for the record, it appears that the brown glue (whatever it is) melts a lot easier than the white epoxy.

1155913172 103 FT14822 Corez
Marko
Fri Aug 18 2006, 03:11PM
If you re-use an ATX transformer you can make yourself a nice halfbridge SMPS.

You can use small drive transformer from ATX supply as GDT if main transistors were mosfet's.
You can use another small transformer for a mini flyback SMPS (I failed to get results from that, witohut regulation voltage spikes are real pain).

TV and monitor transformers tend to use flyback topology due to their low power, but I think you could run them with a fullbridge for some really fierce output.

Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Fri Aug 18 2006, 06:20PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
didn't someone sometime mention microwaving the transformers to separate the cores?
Marko
Fri Aug 18 2006, 06:28PM
I doubt ferrite would get to several hundred deg to actually melt the epoxy, since it's a high frequency electromagnetic core afterall.

It would get heated from the former and windings, but I believe think it would be much better than hot air or water (??)

Somebody tried it..?
ragnar
Fri Aug 18 2006, 08:51PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
With the white epoxy, you generally need to butcher it with a screwdriver to 'crack' off all the blobs of glue around the join, then sand until the only glue left is actually between the ferrite halves. If you then boil the transformer for a bit, and use gloves (stinking hot) you should be able to lever the top out, but I've found it _essential_ that any forces are applied on the round centre axis, otherwise you of course snap the ferrite wings off.

If there are largeish (0.3mm+) spacers in there, you can also rest the ferrite such that everything but the spacer is supported, and then with a knife etc 'crack' it out sideways, but it's difficult to get enough force.

If you've done it enough, it becomes a science and whenever you see some good ferrite, you'll know what to do with it. =P

Marko
Fri Aug 18 2006, 09:19PM
Epoxy ''around edges'' isn't the problem. Problem is that space betweent he core and former is completely fiilled with epoxy. It is impossible to soften that amount of epoxy by boiling, or physically remove it somehow.

Some transformers are much easier to get apart, smaller ones are cooked easily but ATX are really vain.
Self Defenestrate
Sat Aug 19 2006, 12:19AM
Self Defenestrate Registered Member #87 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 01:36PM
I've had some luck with those ultra thin diamond dremel cut off disks, if you hold the core in something soft to ease the vibrations. Once the outside is done, I can usually boil and twist the cores apart. The inner rod part of the core is sanded a bit to flush everything up, and there you have it.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: