Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

IGBT ratings/magnetic projectiles

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Yandersen
Thu Dec 20 2012, 09:52PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
OMG...
RTFM for any of the SCR you have. Please, at least once. Or check the Wiki on those devices.
SCR can be considered as two diodes: common cathode goes toward the ground, power anode - to the positive voltage level of the supply, gate is the supplementary anode. When you let current go from gate (+) to cathode (-) then power diode turns into conductive state and latches untill the current stops running from anode (+) to cathode (-).
If you check your SCR with ohmmeter, you will discover short circuit between gate and cathode. It is a protection resistor built inside the device in parallel with imaginary gate-cathode diode which ensures no unwanted current goes through that diode so device will not turn on accidentially. So the safest way to trigger SCR is to have separate battery connected minus to the cathode and plus to the gate via switch and resistor. If you want to use the main power supply to trigger the gate through a resistor and a push button, then make sure cathode is connected directly to ground. If you put a little cap in series with resistor, then you can make a single pulse to the thyristor instead of flushing unnecessary current through the gate all time push-button is held.

If you put a coil between cathode and ground, you still will be able to switch the SCR on, but right after that cathode will fly up to the HV+ resulting in negative voltage bias between gate and cathode which supplementary diode can not sustain (only up to -10V is allowed).
Maxwell
Fri Dec 21 2012, 12:44AM
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
So basically you're agreeing with everything I've said... Because you have just described my above circuit with the exception of a the switch - which I simplified as a +5V pulse.
Jack A
Fri Dec 21 2012, 02:13AM
Jack A Registered Member #2975 Joined: Wed Jul 07 2010, 12:19AM
Okay, I tried to work it out myself, and was told by other threads that the only limiting factor is the heat dissipated.
Since the total energy passing is relatively low, and this IGBT has low voltage drop and high max heat dissipation, I see no reason why this IGBT (http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/igbt-transistors/0192613/ or IXGP16N60B2) is not suitable (with a big heatsink).
<ended up buying this igbt Link2 >

Back to the issue of driving the IGBT; can I run it by delivering 14.6V from a battery through a MOSFET controlled by an Arduino?
<you can't, the igbt needs to be driven back to zero to switch off>
<no longer relevant> The gate is just a capacitor right?

Cheers,
Yandersen
Fri Dec 21 2012, 03:21AM
Jhackulon, forget about heatsinks in coilguns. Pulse time is so small that heat does not reaches the heatsink anyway - either overheated semiconductor crystal blows, or everything works cool. Charger may have heatsinks, but not shooting circuit.

Maxwell, buy a glasses and reread. You have cathode (C) and anode (A) messed up, and 100K resistor is not necessary. And 200Ohm may not give enough current to trigger power SCR like 70TPS12. Put 51Ohm instead. After that I will agree. And I would recommend to put paralleled 1MOhm resistor and 1uF cap (plus to the +5V) in series with the 51Ohm resistor - this will save a lot of energy for the Universe.
Jack A
Thu Jan 17 2013, 06:36AM
Ok, so on stage 1 we will have a maximum of about 700A, this IGBT (Link2 has a pulsed rating of 160A, two in parallel would have a pulse rating of 320A, which should be sufficient due to the very short pulse. As far as triggers go, how does this optocoupler (Link2 look for being controlled by my arduino and switching 14.7V from my battery (at this voltage, the collector-emitter saturation voltage is only 1.7V)?

<I have given up, rightly so apparently, on overamping the switch, as described below>

Cheers
Ternal
Sat Feb 02 2013, 02:54PM
Ternal Registered Member #9893 Joined: Tue Jan 29 2013, 04:04PM
Half bridge igbt up to 300A peak /1200V.
This is an old one though,I got it from a frequency modulator for elevator motors.
Pulsed 500A through it from 10 000µF cap charged at 330V.
Igbt's dont like higher pulses, SCR's are quite abuseable though at least from my expierence.
DerAlbi
Sun Feb 03 2013, 03:20PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
Jhackulon: paralleling IGBTs is a verry hard problem to solve by its own. In no way you can expect that the current you can handle rises linear with device-count.
At least your IGBT has a positive temp-coeff - however this only solves a small part of the problems.

Personally i would recommend not to exceed twice the rated continous current per IGBT and stay far far away from its pulse-ratings in a parallel config.

The real problem is the switch-off... timing differences will draw all the inductive current from the last active device -> internal SCR will latch up.. and BOOM smile

To share the switch off current properly you might consider:
1) ferrite bead on collector-leg of every IGBT.
2) active clamping
3) lowest possible gate voltage. Even 2) may not cause an excess of this voltage. This prevents SCR-latchup. (Thats what caused Ternals release of the magic smoke)

Your devices are verry fast and switching differences arent mentioned in the datasheet :-/ Maybe for a small setup you get away with the ferrite beads... i would be interested in the results and how much you are able to switch in the end. But looking at the Vg_th voltage.... it strays like hell.. good luck^^

Remember that every IGBT needs its own gate resistor.
Jack A
Tue Feb 05 2013, 10:48AM
Okay, I've come up with a compromise. For my preliminary circuit testing, I'm going to add resistance to the circuit, up to about 1-2 ohms. This will keep the max current at about 200-300A (my IGBT has a pulsed rating of 280A) for a lower voltage of 310V.
In terms of drivers, is a simple IC easy to set up?
I found this driver IC ( Link2 ), will this accept a PWM signal from my arduino? How do I wire the IC to allow for quick charge and discharge of the gate capacitor? Or is the example circuit on the last page of the datasheet acceptable?
I need some help with this switching stuff, it's very unfamiliar to me.
Cheers
DerAlbi
Tue Feb 05 2013, 08:36PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
This whole issue is annoying as, while I have the rest of the circuit ready to go, the issue of switching isn't going away by itself.
You build everything except the only thing that is tricky? suprised Well^^ maybe you should think about yourself. Pushing away the hard problems will never work in the bigger picture. You gonna mess up every project with this attidute, since your design ist not problem-oriented - how should it if you dont think about it in the first time. Dont get me wrong.. noone can know everything... but you knew you want to switch, and even you knew you dont know how, you decided to put work in everything else - why? There is everytime the big chance you fail^^. hmmh.
The whole thing sounds like a bigeyed kid saying "i want to build something, but i dont kow how, so please build it for me, so i can show it to my firends and claim its mine" frown

So. Back to [annoying] Topic^^
I'm going to add resistance to the circuit, up to about 1-2 ohms.
Remember to put the Resistor in series with the coil directly! Dont put it in the Collecot-Path only, since small power-resistances are often wound wire - so its inductive - this inductance needs to be dampened as well.
Btw: its verry well possible, that the resistor blows immediately. Hotspots in the material can lead to some ugly effects. I _could_ be an other design-flaw.

In terms of drivers, is a simple IC easy to set up?
Yes of course, if you know what you are doing^^ So.. No smile

How do I wire the IC to allow for quick charge and discharge of the gate capacitor?
Didnt you just linked in a Datasheet? suprised Did you read it? No? Why not? GUY... YOU DIDNT EVEN LOOK AT THE PICTURES cheesey
Quick tip: page 15.

will this accept a signal from my arduino?
Well... i recommend !!NEVER EVER!! look on page 6 of the Datasheet. Seriously. Dont do it.
It will accept it, but it might not react to it. Depends on VCC.

but this switching stuff seems a little unfamiliar to me
So.. just start with a coilgun...
High current, big explosions; high woltage, big shocks! Perfect to get a *feeling* how switching works.. i would wish i learned the basic the same way cheesey

Sup guys, I am building a proper coilgun
Yes, you do.

Sry i am a little pissed -.- your questions show that you put only minimal effort into the problems - barely enough to come up with these questions.. You are able to build things that are already designed - thats ok. But you fail misserably when its comes to show willingness for _understanding_ what you do. This is disrespectful to everybody helping. frown
Yandersen
Wed Feb 06 2013, 12:14AM
Propeller coilgun maybe?..
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: