Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

IGBT ratings/magnetic projectiles

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Jack A
Wed Dec 19 2012, 11:27AM Print
Jack A Registered Member #2975 Joined: Wed Jul 07 2010, 12:19AM
Sup guys, I'm building a proper coilgun, and will be looking into the effect of hysteresis on the coilgun, both theoretically and experimentally.
<no longer relevant> To make things a little interesting, I was considering using a permanent magnet as the projectile, please give your thoughts on this idea, I see it as an advantage as it should remove the losses in realigning the iron's field.
Anyway, I have a 450V 2400uf capacitor (243J), and expect it to output between 1000A and 1500A maximum. What is the lowest max current rating that I could get away with (IGBT's are expensive!)?
<as explained below, I am increasing the resistance which will lengthen the pulse and reduce the maximum current to a level which is switchable on a budget>
Cheers
Maxwell
Wed Dec 19 2012, 05:13PM
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
1. It has long been discussed that the use of permanent magnets would be a poor idea - as their fields will be re-magnetized and would 'saturate' too quickly. Their efficiency would only be seen in use of ultra-lower power cg's.

2. The capacitor looks great for beginning in CG's. Have you used Barry's CG RLC simulation yet? 1000A is not unrealistic - but your wire gauge will be pretty thick. As you thin the wire gauge, resistance and inductance increases which lowers your peak amperage but and increases your pulse time.

3. The link to the IGBT's - Those are very unacceptable. First, they are SMD components - very very limited current handling capabilities. Have you ever built a CG before? I would recommend starting with a thyristor unless you can reasonably design a gate driver for the IGBT.

A lot of people have sampled the 70TPS12 with varying luck. 1000A is too high for this thyristor, but would work at lower currents. Note: many users have noted that this thyristor does not like to be 'in-front' of the coil.

Also, your three-head-eye horse picture is disturbing.
BigBad
Wed Dec 19 2012, 06:22PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
I think that permanent magnets are a good idea. Because:

1) you can't run a projectile much above saturation without losing efficiency anyway, permanent magnets are already saturated

2) you can push and pull a permanent magnet, whereas iron can only be pulled

3) permanent magnets can have very low permeability. That greatly reduces the lateral instability in the bore

4) if you stick to neodymium, the maximum acceleration you can potentially get is about 1000g

The downsides are:

1) you can degauss them if you're not careful
2) they're more expensive and brittle
Yandersen
Wed Dec 19 2012, 09:18PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
"...70TPS12... 1000A is too high for this thyristor" - 40TPS80 handles that much without problems - me tested on 300us pulse, so 70TPS may handle even more. It is short non-repetitive single pulse, nothing is going to burn. Just take care of a gate current during triggering, as I zapped few 40TPS80 overcurrenting their gates.

"Note: many users have noted that this thyristor does not like to be 'in-front' of the coil" - total nonsense. Please, stop spawning this rumor over the forum.
Maxwell
Thu Dec 20 2012, 01:29AM
@Yandersen, I'm not trying to be a dick - but he's not the only one whose experienced the failure:

"I've also found (possibly because of how the back emf/quenching works) that these scr's will fail if they are used at the positive side of the capacitor-coil circuit, so put them on the negative/ground side." -Forty (Posted Here)

Since you're eliminating the reverse voltages with the non-polar caps, this may account for not having fried any of yours.

I would rather warn a CG'er of potential-part-failure and let them make the call than entirely not warn them at all.
Jack A
Thu Dec 20 2012, 01:36AM
Jack A Registered Member #2975 Joined: Wed Jul 07 2010, 12:19AM
Thanks for your comments guys!
Thanks for your SCR suggestions, but for my experiment I need to be able to turn off the switch mid-pulse, and the methods I found for doing this on the internet with an SCR seemed rather complicated. Now that you mention it however, I don't fully understand how an IGBT is driven, can't I just put 15 volts through the gate from a MOSFET?
<I worked this out from looking up design documents, basically the gate is a capacitor, it must be driven on and off, here is a good beginners guide Link2 >
I should have said this before, but I plan to release the energy in 3 stages, so each IGBT only sees between 50 and 100J. I found an IGBT with a decent current rating (80A continuous (http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/igbt-transistors/7616876/ or RJH60F5DPQ-A0)), would this be acceptable?
<to begin with I will be undervolting to 310V, this means that I can evenly distribute between 30 and 40J to each stage>
I have done simulations, and am aiming for a 1000A peak pulse over about 2ms, cut up by the IGBT into three pulses.
<target is now 200-300A>
I guess I may as well just use iron as the projectile, I may try a magnet later, but my supervisor told me to keep things simple.
<I am doing this project as my Extended Essay in HL Physics>
Cheers
Yandersen
Thu Dec 20 2012, 02:40AM
Regarding SCR failure if connected anode to the positive cap's terminal and cathode to to the coil ("high side"). Knowing your level of understanding what are you guys doing, I may assume that in this case cap's negative terminal was connected to ground as well as battery cell's minus, while SCR was triggered by touching it's gate to the cell's plus (hope via resistor). In this case once SCR opens, it's cathode flies to the positive rail while gate is held just 1.5V over the ground - this results in a huge negative voltage between cathode and gate which is allowed to be no more than 10V according to the datasheet. Was it the case? Did I predicted your monkey actions correctly? If so, don't blame SCR and high side connection.
I trigger SCR via decoupling microtransformers, where secondary coil connected between cathode and gate and primary coil get pulse from a little cap.
Ash Small
Thu Dec 20 2012, 07:02AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Yandersen wrote ...

Regarding SCR failure if connected anode to the positive cap's terminal and cathode to to the coil ("high side"). Knowing your level of understanding what are you guys doing, I may assume that in this case cap's negative terminal was connected to ground as well as battery cell's minus, while SCR was triggered by touching it's gate to the cell's plus (hope via resistor). In this case once SCR opens, it's cathode flies to the positive rail while gate is held just 1.5V over the ground - this results in a huge negative voltage between cathode and gate which is allowed to be no more than 10V according to the datasheet. Was it the case? Did I predicted your monkey actions correctly? If so, don't blame SCR and high side connection.
I trigger SCR via decoupling microtransformers, where secondary coil connected between cathode and gate and primary coil get pulse from a little cap.

Jhackulon wrote ...

but my supervisor told me to keep things simple.

Would not the simplest solution here be to put the SCR on the low side? Are there any disadvantages in doing this?
Yandersen
Thu Dec 20 2012, 11:40AM
No, it just doesn't matter if SCR is triggered via a decoupling transformer. I just can't stand watching a counter-science believe to born and spawn. Saying that "SCR doesn't like to be connected high side" instead of saying "it is easier to trigger SCR connected low side" make non-sence in which newbies are ready to believe.
Maxwell
Thu Dec 20 2012, 12:48PM
Yandersen wrote ...

Did I predicted your monkey actions correctly? If so, don't blame SCR and high side connection.

Actually, no, I don't believe so. The following is how I believe the non-destructive setup is configured:

(CAP+) ---COIL-----(A) SCR (C) --------- GND
.....................................(G)
.......................................|
.................+5V /\/\/\--------/\/\/\------ GND
.......................200Ohm ....... 100kOhm
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: