Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hybrid Coil Concept

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Maxwell
Tue Dec 18 2012, 04:13AM Print
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
I have no documentation or pictures of my idea, so you'll have to bear with me whilst I attempt to describe it.

From a traditional basic CG system, there are 3 components: Capacitor, Switch, Coil.

Say now, that the coil has contacts at the very beginning of the wrapping, the very middle of the wrapping, and the end of the wrap - something like this:

||>->->->->->->->->||Layer 4 ----------Terminal Contact B
||<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<||Layer 3
||>->->->->->->->->||Layer 2 ----------Terminal Contact X
||<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<||Layer 1 ----------Terminal Contact A
------------------------------------Barrel
----- -------------------------------Barrel
||<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<||Layer 1
||>->->->->->->->->||Layer 2
||<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<||Layer 3
||>->->->->->->->->||Layer 4

Terminals A and B would be your traditional CG wrapping start and end points.
Terminal X is 'exactly' halfway through the length of the winding.

In this setup, the coil would conduct current (discharging the capacitor with IGBT/SCR) until the projectile has passed thru the center of the coil. At this point, a second SCR (think half-bridge / energy recovery systems) opens at terminal X leading to the positive post of a stageII capacitor.

I don't know how to model a non-ideal inductor such as this in any computer simulation software.

Maxwell.
Yandersen
Tue Dec 18 2012, 11:32AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
And this is easier than just using non-polar caps?
And why to start from the middle of the coil (X) instead of the normal end (B)?
Pretty crazy. I doubt this has any benefits.
Maxwell
Tue Dec 18 2012, 06:36PM
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
Could the magnetic field collapse inwardly once Contact X is shorted to ground - Dividing the coil much like a voltage divider.
Yandersen
Tue Dec 18 2012, 09:51PM
I don't know. Think energy-preservation-wise...

You know what? No matter which kind of woodoo you will try to do out of a single coil, many small coils operating in a simple way will still perform better - guaranteed. So it is better to concentrate on switching mechanism between coils rather than fetishing around single coil. Just stuck with the best coil shape (length=inner diameter, outer =3*inner diameter) and go ahead increasing the number of coils. If/when room-temp superconductors will be invented, coils will turn into single-layer coils, but until then solution is found already.

To achieve the highest efficiency possible, coilgun must be composed of many small coils located as close to each other as possible, which are turned on and off as fast as possible, maintaining a constant current and returning unused energy back into source when turned off. Projectile must be as short as possible (I found that length less than diameter is technically hard to move through the barrel).

The coilgun of my dream is a cap-driven halfbridge with current control and optical triggering via optosensor wires going through the holes radially drilled in the iron washers separating each of two adjacent coils. I don't think any non-standard coil magic can turn a coilgun into something more efficient as the one roughly described above.
Yanom
Wed Dec 19 2012, 02:38AM
Yanom Registered Member #4659 Joined: Sun Apr 29 2012, 06:14PM
Yandersen wrote ...

And this is easier than just using non-polar caps?

presumably it's price-related issues. Nonpolar caps are at least 4 times as expensive as standard polar electrolytics.
Yandersen
Wed Dec 19 2012, 04:01AM
If you buy from chinese on e-bay, you can get electrolithics many times cheaper. What about characteristics? ESR, ESL, lifetime, ripple current, repolarization capability, maximum voltage, e.t.c. The ONLY benefit of electrolitics is higher energy density. But comparing the efficiency of transfer of that energy to the coil during the shot... Non-polars are just born for coilgun. If you need 1kJ to accelerate a piece of nail to 30m/s with electrolithics, than compare it with 54J for 54m/s given by 3pc of my non-polars. Those cost me $60. How much you would spend on 1kJ of electrolithics?
Turkey9
Wed Dec 19 2012, 05:00AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
I hear you mention your coilgun built with non-polars, do you think you could start a thread with pictures and detailed description? Such a high performing device would be a great asset for teaching coilgun theory around here.
Yandersen
Wed Dec 19 2012, 09:52PM
Haha! Not yet. I'm working on portable 16-stages version of this with 11mm caliber to make it look presentable. The unfinished 6-stage is about to be disassembled as it holds half of the caps I have in it. The main reason is that I've discovered ideal coil shape too late, and the iron fender washers of required dimensions for 9.4mm caliber do not exist, while for 11mm I'm going to use 32mm external to 12.7mm internal diameters thick iron washers which are the main part of the separative coil blocks. I will also change the shape of the projectile from plain cylinder to something more bullet-looking - this requires to rebuild all coils anyway. The flaw of the current small version is a weak 5-min-made case which is falling apart, so increase in power will brake it. Another not-constructive-related reason is that efficiency is promising to be slightly better. Probably, I will try to redesign the charger to give it more power. Give me a pot of mana and time.
Here is the last picture of the first recuperational coilgun prototype for the history:
1355953934 6944 FT148126 Dscf0101
Yanom
Wed Dec 19 2012, 11:25PM
Yanom Registered Member #4659 Joined: Sun Apr 29 2012, 06:14PM
right now I'm working on a coilgun that doesn't have any capacitors at all.
It just hooks up to the power supply.
Also it doesn't use semiconductors! Each stage is triggered by a mechanical switch that protrudes into the barrel.
Yandersen
Thu Dec 20 2012, 02:25AM
Good start, but don't expect high speed from this, even if energized from car battery.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: