Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil-gun Project, questions I couldnt fine answers to

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
PlayNice
Mon Dec 10 2012, 09:15PM Print
PlayNice Registered Member #8032 Joined: Tue Nov 13 2012, 01:22AM
Hey everyone, I would like to build a coil gun and had some questions I can't quite find answers to. I just want to understand the concept better before I start.

My understanding is high Henry/slower coil is better in lower stages of the gun (first few stages), and low Henry/faster coil in higher stages of the gun right?

Lets just say someone was making a multi-stage (say 100 stages) coil gun but "HAD TO" make all coils 100% identical, same size/turns, same gauge wire...

What would an experienced person choose? High H/slow coils, or low H/fast coil?

Wouldn't a bunch of low Henry/fast amp rise coils give more velocity in the end? Or would a bunch of high Henry/slow amp rise coils give more velocity in the end? Which of the 2 options would be more efficient? Is it even possible to know?

Power supply would be 3, 12v batteries in series so 36v, @ about 100amps.

Thanks everyone
Turkey9
Wed Dec 12 2012, 03:17AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
The reason that a larger inductance is generally better for the first few stages is that the projectile is moving slower. Slower projectile means a longer pulse. However, this is when using capacitors. An LC circuit will have a certain time constant, or how long it takes to go through a single period. In your case, you don't have a capacitor so the only factor your inductance will change is the rise time of the pulse. You want the rise time to be as fast as possible. So in short, I would make all your coils have a pretty small inductance, say around 10uH. That's 10E-6 Henry.
PlayNice
Wed Dec 12 2012, 06:30AM
Thank you for your reply. Just what I needed to know. If I make my coils small inductance like you said say 20uH, at 100a 36v will the first coil even get my 3.5gram projectile moving though? Also I am considering using a capacitor but mainly just to collect the flyback voltage to make my setup more efficient (not sure if that's what that will actually do). PS what do you think about my circuit? BTW I know nothing about designing a circuit, I'm pretty much a beginner so I have a lot of questions. After the IGBT turns off, how long of a pulse is the flyback voltage compared to the IGBT pulse? Will this cap that I added help my coilgun? What about the size of the cap?

Here is what I have so far:

22 Am
Turkey9
Thu Dec 13 2012, 01:13AM
Remember that the strength of the magnetic field is proportional to the current through the coil. So yes, 100A will be enough to move the projectile.

Your circuit will not collect the reverse voltage on the inductor. Really, it is best for a beginner to put the diode in anti-parallel with the coil and short any of the reverse current. Trying to recycle it is just too complicated for your first design.

As for the capacitor, it will help provide a kick of current, but once it drains the battery will be supplying all the current. Another consideration you need to make is how to turn off the IGBT in time for the projectile not to experience any suck-back.
PlayNice
Thu Dec 13 2012, 02:33AM
Ok so I can still keep the cap to help give it more kick at the begging of a pulse. My IGBT has a antiparallel diode in it, is that enough? And well my IGBT will be powered by a MOFSET 4amp driver, driver will be powered by a very fast LED opto-switch circuit from a RPM counter, so I am assuming here that my IGBT will have super fast ON/OFF.

Important question about the flyback voltage. How fast is the flyback voltage? Lets say that my IGBT has a ON pulse of 1ms, is the flyback voltage pulse just as long so 1ms? Or is the flyback voltage way faster since it way higher voltage? Also if my circuit is 40v, what voltage is the flyback 400v? 1000v?

I need to know how fast the flyback voltage is so that I can then move my opto switch bit away from the coil to compensate for the flyback and try to avoid suckback.

Yandersen
Thu Dec 13 2012, 04:44AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Flyback voltage is so fast, that noone can catch it - don't even try! :)))
Turkey9
Thu Dec 13 2012, 06:02AM
You're not going to get a force from the flyback voltage. Don't move your optical sensor to compensate.

Voltage is the derivative of current through your inductor. The reason such a large voltage is created is that you cut the current off suddenly. This creates a step whose derivative is theoretically infinity. Of course, in real life when you cut the current off it isn't a real step. So the flyback voltage is proportional to how fast you stop the current flowing.
PlayNice
Thu Dec 13 2012, 07:49AM
Oh ok, I was under the impression that flyback voltage would create some pull force too. So what do I do to stop the osculation of fly-back v? Is my antiparallel diode inside the IGBT enough?
Turkey9
Fri Dec 14 2012, 09:04AM
I always like to put my diodes in antiparallel with the coil so that no current flows back into the capacitor.
PlayNice
Sun Dec 16 2012, 02:49AM
Why not let the flyback current collect back in the cap? I though if you let he flyback to into the coil it would make the system more efficient?
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: