Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

My first 'real 'coilgun

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
Maxwell
Mon Mar 04 2013, 11:41PM
Maxwell Registered Member #8497 Joined: Tue Dec 04 2012, 06:24PM
__=|(:3)-|--{__ wrote ...

Im somewhat worried about the metal on the barrel and the eddy currents reducing the efficiency, i would have used Acrylic or PVC

No way - External iron in low-power (which yours does fall into this category) CG's is a good thing. Internal Iron between coil and armature, including barrel material is very bad. You could take laminated transformer cores and 'shield' your coil for an extra .1% probably.

I have not experimented much with external iron, only with end-plate iron. Before I destroyed my CG earlier this winter, I saw at least .3% efficiency rise with thick external iron plates compared to thin end washers.
Yandersen
Tue Mar 05 2013, 12:46AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Keep it like you did, Hanzie - good work. Unless you want to reshape your coil and projectile to more efficient dimensions. I would recommend 1:1.5 diameter to length ratio for projectile and the same length for wound coil part while washers at the ends add additional length to coil. To maximize washers efficiency their thickness should be at least 1/4 of internal hole diameter (so before saturation all flux from central hole with projectile can escape completely through the washers).
BTW, don't you want to try recuperational tech? It will take two double-C electrolythics instead of one and two protection diode instead of one. Wanna circuit diagam?
Hanzie
Tue Mar 05 2013, 02:29PM
Hanzie Registered Member #6534 Joined: Sat Sept 08 2012, 12:22PM
Alright, I'll just leave it there then. There's no iron between the coil and the barrel, only those washers on the ends and the bolts keeping stuff together.

Yandersen, sure I'd like to see your idea! This is mainly a proof of concept, but I could try other techniques in future versions. I'm sure this won't be the last one I'll build.

I'm gonna start working on the outside. ^-^
Yandersen
Tue Mar 05 2013, 09:11PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Here is recuperational tech for electrolythics:
1362517899 6944 FT147660 Dscf0174

So C2 should have 0V before the shot - only C1 is charged. After the shot C1 will have 0V while C2 will hold the leftover energy. You can slowly damp it by bleeding resistor in parallel with C2 or you can use this recuperated energy to feed the second stage.
Diodes required in case capacitances are not exactly equal - if so, one of the cap will be repolarized if not protected. Ideally, two caps should have the same capacitance and voltage rating, but you can play with those values.
The original recuperational tech require single non-polar cap (which I have), but in case of electrolythics it can be equivalently substituted with two of doubled capacitance to simulate the same capacitance. Taking into account that my non-polars are 800Vx60uF, I would need 2pc of 400Vx240uF to keep energy the same as polars are 450V rated at most. Take into account low ESR and higher peak currents of non-polars. But still, you can try recuperational tech, see if it is beneficial, and maybe it will stimulate you to buy non-polar caps?..
Hanzie
Thu Mar 07 2013, 02:00PM
AH, thanks. I'll try that on my next one. ^^
Managed to blow up one of the leads of my SCR. I accidentally bent it a little trying to fit it in there, so I think that was enough to make the pin too thin to survive the current pulses. Already found a new one. Turns out I actually had a 50ria40 laying around which should be able survive much more. Not sure if it still works though, have to test that first. We'll see.
Hanzie
Mon Mar 18 2013, 08:01PM
Well, it seems to be still alive, but I might have to take a break from the project for a while. Final exams are coming up, so I don't really have any time left to spend on the gun.
I'll get back here once the exams are over.
h3X
Sat Jun 08 2013, 02:48PM
h3X Registered Member #3306 Joined: Mon Oct 11 2010, 12:37PM
How is the project going? I've been lurking this thread with some curiosity. :) Hoping to build my first cg soon too, so it's great to read your journey.
Hanzie
Thu Jul 11 2013, 09:05PM
Wups, sorry for the late reply!

Haven't done much yet. Passed my exams and blew up the charging circuit so I'll have to build a new one of those. At the same time however I'm also building a gaming rig and a pneumatic cannon, and I'm terrorizing the neighborhood from above with an RC-drone I'm putting together. AND as I'm starting a study electrical engineering in September, I'll also have to find a place to live as I now live 2.5 hours away from the university. Ugh, I'm doing way too much at once again... xP
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: