All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Creating a neutron source

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Thu Dec 13 2012, 03:25AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Andy wrote ...
This is the formula I'm using
B = unI
permeability =1
Amps =10000
number of turns =10
distance =0.01
amp turns =10000000
Tesla =40000

and
F = Amps*Length*B
Amps 50000
distance 0.01
Tesla 40000

Force newtons/meter 20,000,000

Are these the right formulas to use in these situation, what would I be missing?
I'm trying to squash the arc, with the coil current going clockwise and the spark field going counter clockwise. ...

Hi Andy. First a couple of basic questions. Why do you want to make neutrons? What makes you think you have ideas that 1) will work and 2) have not, as far as you can tell by cursory searches on the Internet, already been developed by others?
As people keep telling you on fusor.net: Your ideas are flying high, but you need to put boots on the ground. Learn more about physics and electricity. If you are not in a position to learn them in a classroom, you can teach yourself using the Internet. Then get some adult supervision, and build and measure a basic subsystem such as a vacuum chamber or high voltage power supply. It looks like you're off to a good start.

Now about your first calculation.

We can't read your mind, but you started with the formula for magnetic flux density B inside a "long" solenoid -- one whose length is >> its diameter. For the lineal winding density n, are you using 10 turns per 0.01 meter, with current I of 10,000 amperes? Then where did 10^7 ampere-turns and 40,000 teslas come from? 10^7 amperes per (lineal) meter, I could understand.
In SI units, the permeability of free space u0 is 4*pi/10^7 teslas per (ampere/meter). So I figure about 12.6 teslas (that's 4 * pi), a pretty respectable magnetic field. If the coil length is 1 cm, its diameter should not exceed 2 to 3 mm if you want to satisfy the "long" condition of the B=unI formula.

As an exercise for you: for how many microseconds can a 1-mm-wide copper wire carry 10,000 amperes before it overheats? You get to choose the other dimension of wire cross-section, and the maximum temperature rise. Let's compare your 1E7 amperes/meter with the linear current density in world-class Bitter solenoids, which exist in a few research labs. With state-of-the-art water cooling and mechanical restraint, and multi-megawatt DC power supplies, they can run at around 3E7 A/m, and sustain B values between 30 and 40 T.

No time to get into your question 2, except: Please clarify the orientations of your B field and your plasma current density field.

p.s.
When talking about those formulas, please don't get in the habit of casually interchanging
the names/symbols of constants or variables, with the names/symbols of units of measurement.
Are 250 and 6-8 LeBron James's pounds and feet and inches, or his weight and height?
Are 98.6 and 37 our normal body degrees F and degrees C?
We say "current = 10 kA", not "kA = 10". One appears naturally when working out a formula; the other does not. I have tried to make a good example in this spreadsheet:

1355367666 2099 FT147338 Solenoid

Unfortunately, there is one near-exception that can lead newbies astray.
It's popular, in fact practically universal, to use the word voltage (and symbol v or V) for the thing that is measured in volts (V).

Good luck!
[edit] I see you posted a nice drawing while I was writing this tome. I have some issues with it.
1) the B fields from the two wires labled "coil" will cancel each other along the line you have labeled "spark".
2) If the "coil" wires are part of a helix then their current is oriented along the circumference of the enclosed space. Why will spark current have any component with that orientation? I think you need to study Z-pinch (and perhaps theta-pingh) some more. Hint: dB/dt.
Andy
Thu Dec 13 2012, 04:18AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Cheers for the infomation
Hi Andy. First a couple of basic questions. Why do you want to make neutrons? What makes you think you have ideas that 1) will work and 2) have not, as far as you can tell by cursory searches on the Internet, already been developed by others?
I was trying to follow the z pinch theroy, but instead of useing 100 thin wires ,A spark would be the wire(repeatable). I saw the pinch Mark Rowley on fuser.net had, and was duplicating it, but wanted to know if it could fuse D. The neutron source was for a isotope battery.

We can't read your mind, but you started with the formula for magnetic flux density B inside a "long" solenoid -- one whose length is >> its diameter. For the lineal winding density n, are you using 10 turns per 0.01 meter, with current I of 10,000 amperes? Then where did 10^7 ampere-turns and 40,000 teslas come from? 10^7 amperes per (lineal) meter, I could understand.
In SI units, the permeability of free space u0 is 4*pi/10^7 teslas per (ampere/meter). So I figure about 12.6 teslas (that's 4 * pi), a pretty respectable magnetic field. If the coil length is 1 cm, its diameter should not exceed 2 to 3 mm if you want to satisfy the "long" condition of the B=unI formula.
The 10^7 were amp turns/meter. I didn't know the coil had a length to diameter function, I was planning to have 1cm length, and a diameter of 30cm radius to maximize the area for inductance. I will had 12.6 Tesla to the equations.

The heat thing , 1mm wire 20.95ohms/km for ten meters 0.2095ohms. P = I^2*R ,20950000 watts/second . Copper specific heat is 386. 20950000/386 = 54274/50gram = 1085 C/second
klugesmith
Thu Dec 13 2012, 06:40AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Andy wrote ...
The 10^7 were amp turns/meter. I didn't know the coil had a length to diameter function, I was planning to have 1cm length, and a diameter of 30cm radius to maximize the area for inductance. I will had 12.6 Tesla to the equations.
I think you'll like this reference. Link2 Magnet formulas for many configurations, including a current loop (which is like the coil you describe). Also, beware that common solenoid inductance formulas may have large errors for your ultra-stubby aspect ratio.
I think your plan is original and unique to employ "a diameter of 30cm radius". smile

Andy wrote ...
The heat thing , 1mm wire 20.95ohms/km for ten meters 0.2095ohms. P = I^2*R ,20950000 watts/second . Copper specific heat is 386. 20950000/386 = 54274/50gram = 1085 C/second
You will go far, young man. But I think your heating rate answer is too low by a factor of 1000. Perhaps the specific heat value is for kilograms, while the wire mass is in grams. The unit for P is not watts/second, it's watts. Same as joules/second.
Time to learn how to use a spreadsheet calculator. It makes it easy to document and review calculations like that, and very easy to tweak the variables. Dedicate a column for the units of measurement. And don't mix unit-conversion formulas (even kg to g) with physics formulas -- use separate cells.
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: