All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Creating a neutron source

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Andy
Thu Dec 06 2012, 04:27AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Cheers Ash Small, it cleared things up.
dex
Thu Dec 06 2012, 12:22PM
dex Registered Member #2566 Joined: Wed Dec 23 2009, 05:52PM
Andy wrote ...

Would the below picture work for a neutron source using electron capture, if it was at atmosphere pressure and over 140kv for tungsten(blue)?
What would be the mean free path of a neutron at atmosphere pressure and 100kev.

Cheers

1354328403 4266 FT0 Electron
fortunately,it would not tongue
Ash Small
Thu Dec 06 2012, 02:51PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I think, with hindsight, that your first post related to spallation, which will occur when firing protons into tungsten, tantalum, etc, but you are talking in the range of ~80MeV, if I remember correctly. At these energies neutrons will be spallated, but it will still require an ultra high vacuum, as far as I'm aware.

EDIT: CORRECTION.....THE ISIS SPALLATION SOURCE (ON WHICH I WORKED, AND HAVE SOME PHOTO'S OF THE SECOND TARGET STATION SOMEWHERE, AND WILL POST SOME IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED) FIRES A BEAM OF PROTONS AT 800MeV. (I WAS ONLY A FACTOR OF TEN OUT smile )
Bored Chemist
Thu Dec 06 2012, 09:22PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
HSE has no jurisdiction for activity undertaken at home as a hobby.
In particular, the ionising radiation regs say define work as "(3) For the purposes of these Regulations and Part I of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974—

(a)the word “work” shall be extended to include any instruction or training which a person undergoes as a trainee and the meaning of “at work” shall be extended accordingly; and
(b)a trainee shall, while he is undergoing instruction or training in respect of work with ionising radiation, be treated as the employee of the person whose undertaking (whether for profit or not) is providing that instruction or training and that person shall be treated as the employer of that trainee except that the duties to the trainee imposed upon the person providing instruction or training shall only extend to matters under the control of that person."

and practice as "“practice” means work involving—
(a)the production, processing, handling, use, holding, storage, transport or disposal of radioactive substances; or
(b)the operation of any electrical equipment emitting ionising radiation and containing components operating at a potential difference of more than 5kV,
which can increase the exposure of individuals to radiation from an artificial source, or from a radioactive substance containing naturally occurring radionuclides which are processed for their radioactive, fissile or fertile properties;"

and the range of applicability is "3.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this regulation and to regulation 6(1), these Regulations shall apply to—

(a)any practice;
(b)any work (other than a practice) carried out in an atmosphere containing radon 222 gas at a concentration in air, averaged over any 24 hour period, exceeding 400 Bq m−3 except where the concentration of the short-lived daughters of radon 222 in air averaged over any 8 hour working period does not exceed 6.24 × 10−7Jm−3 and
(c)any work (other than work referred to in sub-paragraphs (a) and (b) above) with any radioactive substance containing naturally occurring radionuclides."

This follows from their position as the enforcing authority for "the health and safety at work &c act".
Since we are not at work, it's not their field.
(The &c. bit doesn't apply in this case).

You could get into trouble as a suspected terrorist or if you actually harmed anyone but the HSE aren't the people to worry about.
Ash Small
Thu Dec 06 2012, 11:39PM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

HSE has no jurisdiction for activity undertaken at home as a hobby.
In particular, the ionising radiation regs say define work as "(3) For the purposes of these Regulations and Part I of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974—
You could get into trouble as a suspected terrorist or if you actually harmed anyone but the HSE aren't the people to worry about.

I'm inclined to agree with you, BC. The 'threats' made against a member of our community have not been tested in court.

Should we, ie 'concerned UK members of this community', offer our support to the victim of these 'threats' in any ensuing court case that 'may' arise, re. 'harassment by the HSE'?

(I think it's unlikely that the individual that was 'threatened' wishes to take this matter any further, as he has taken down the 'how to's' from his website, so this is probably a hypothetical question, but WTF.....)

EDIT: I wish to emphasise that the apparatus in question not only complied with, but exceeded ALL the required safety standards, etc.

EDIT EDIT: If people are forced to take down information from their websites that explain how to do this safely, others may injure themselves (or others) as a consequence of the HSE's actions.
Andy
Wed Dec 12 2012, 09:51AM
Would this work as a neutron source. What type of amps do you think I'll be looking at.

1355305883 4266 FT147338 Zpinch
Ash Small
Wed Dec 12 2012, 01:20PM
Andy wrote ...

Would this work as a neutron source. What type of amps do you think I'll be looking at.

1355305883 4266 FT147338 Zpinch

I think the answer to your question is 'maybe'.

You 'may' be better off applying AC to the two electrodes, rather than DC, but it 'could' work with DC.

I assume, from your drawing, that you are also planning to implement ECR (electron cyclotron resonance), although it may be that you wish to implement what I assume might be called 'deuteron cyclotron resonance' (I'm guessing here), whether this would induce collisions between deuterons, I'm not sure, as they would all be travelling in the same spiral trajectory

You'd need to get the deuterons up to ~20-40 keV, I'd assume, in order to get any fusion, even then I'm not sure you'd get many collisions with sufficient energy, but it seems probable that you might, as collisions will be taking place, resulting in deuterons following different trajectories.

As far as current is concerned, I think we'd need a lot more information about the proposed setup before we could answer that, it would depend on deuterium feed rates, etc.

I also ought to re-iterate that any apparatus designed to produce neutrons requires a license. There is also the question of neutron detection/monitoring, not to mention shielding (from neutrons and X-rays)

(Interesting concept, though)

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, the 'cyclotron resonance' will require AC (RF or microwave frequencies) to work at all
Andy
Thu Dec 13 2012, 12:35AM
Cheers, I'll be getting a survey meter ,vacuum pump and license when i've got some spare cash,
This is the formula I'm using
B = unI
permeability =1
Amps =10000
number of turns =10
distance =0.01
amp turns =10000000
Tesla =40000

and
F = Amps*Length*B
Amps 50000
distance 0.01
Tesla 40000

Force newtons/meter 20,000,000

Are these the right formulas to use in these situation, what would I be missing?
I'm trying to squash the arc, with the coil current going clockwise and the spark field going counter clockwise.

Made some caps to use, they should be 0.0239uF, wired up to the nst, makes white arcs, that are damn loud :), should get 7357amps for 2.39058e-8sec

Ash Small
Thu Dec 13 2012, 01:43AM
I'm not sure I've fully understood your diagram.

I assumed the magnets were there to facilitate 'cyclotron resonance', which, I think, will require microwave frequencies unless you use 'very expensive' magnets, in which case you 'may' get away with RF frequencies.

If I've missed the point, and this is maybe some form of 'Z pinch' system, you may need someone else to advise you. (It's a few years since I read up on Z pinch, but I do remember it involves very high currents).

It would help if you supply some more information, maybe a more detailed schematic, with some more figures.

(I'm only just 'getting my head round' the maths for cyclotron resonance myself, for a project I'm working on.)
Andy
Thu Dec 13 2012, 02:20AM
If I've missed the point, and this is maybe some form of 'Z pinch' system, you may need someone else to advise you. (It's a few years since I read up on Z pinch, but I do remember it involves very high currents).
That was the idea, but I think they send the current through multi thin wires

I don't know of any more information to add

1355366454 4266 FT1630 Zpinch
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: