All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Nontoxic room-temp solid that boils under 500F

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adrenaline
Mon Nov 26 2012, 04:15PM
Adrenaline Registered Member #235 Joined: Wed Feb 22 2006, 04:59PM
Patrick wrote ...

ok AndrewM go get some urinal cakes, extract the diclhorobenzene and your set.
or some Para moth balls

However using a household oven would probably stink up the house a great deal.
Edit:
Benzoic acid? Not sure what your substrate is, boils at 481F.
Patrick
Mon Nov 26 2012, 06:29PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
i have to admit i never would have thought of 1,4 dichlorobenzene...

as for Adrenaline's idea of benzoic acid, it turns to a liquid at 252 F, then volatizes at 480 F, AndrewM needs a solid to vapor phase change skipping the liquid phase (sublimation)... if a solid liquifies close to its boiling point maybe he can make that work, notsure what Andrews goals/purpose is though...
Adrenaline
Mon Nov 26 2012, 07:15PM
Adrenaline Registered Member #235 Joined: Wed Feb 22 2006, 04:59PM
Well provided it doesn't need to sublimate...
Ethyl cyanoacrylate could work. Plain Superglue is pretty much 100% Ethyl cyanoacrylate. It boils at 56C and de-polymerizes with heat, not sure how hot though.

Wikipedia wrote ...
Heating causes depolymerization of the cured polyECA, producing gaseous products strongly irritating to lungs and eyes.

I am currently out of easy to obtain ideas...
Sulaiman
Mon Nov 26 2012, 10:10PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Use the low Curie temp. of a pair of neodymium magnets with like poles facing (repulsion)?
AndrewM
Mon Nov 26 2012, 10:14PM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
Cyanoacrylate might be a winner; I had discounted it without any research but it could be perfect:

wrote ...
However, a notorious problem ofcyanoacrylate polymers is their susceptibility to thermal degradation at only moderately high temperatures. As a consequence, the instant adhesive benefits of cyanoacrylate monomers have not been available in many applications where the bondedsubstrates may be subjected to intermittent temperatures in excess of 120.degree. C. or extended exposure to temperatures of about 80.degree. C.

... depending on exactly how it decomposes.

I looked into the 1,4 dichlorobenzene and it sublimated readily at STP which is actually a bit undesirable - I'd like the film to be stable at room temp and disappear only at elevated temperatures. So I'll put that on the back burning.

Benzoic acid could be a winner as well, depending on how well i can make a film. I'd considered pine rosins previously which seem to be similar to the Benzoin resin precursor of benzoic acid.
AndrewM
Mon Nov 26 2012, 10:31PM
Although there is this about CAs:

wrote ...
In addition, the thermal decomposition of cyanoacrylate was studied using simultaneous thermogravimetric and differential thermal analysis (TGA-DTA). It was determined that detectable and quantifiable amounts of HCN were generated from the thermal decomposition of cyanoacrylate monomer and polymer at temperatures as low as 200 °C. Using an optimised picrate-resorcinol method, it was shown that around 10 μg of HCN could be generated from the heating of 1g of cyanoacrylate monomer at 200 °C. For one of the adhesives tested, this increased to above 100 μg of HCN when 1g of cyanoacrylate monomer was heated at 280 °C.
2Spoons
Tue Nov 27 2012, 02:51AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Ammonium nitrate.
Ammonium carbonate.
Citric acid.

All decompose at reasonable temps.
Patrick
Tue Nov 27 2012, 03:02AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
well HCN is always a problem with combustion products of plastics, its interesting that cyanoacrylates only need to be heated not burned.

in aircarft crashes, A large fraction of the surviors of the initial crash/incident are often killed in the next minutes from inhaltion of vapor...Sometimes without the aircraft ever leaving the ground.

i find it hard to believe CA would decompose/volatize cleanly, as you require AndrewM. I may need to try this myself...
AndrewM
Tue Nov 27 2012, 03:25AM
2Spoons wrote ...

Ammonium nitrate.
Ammonium carbonate.
Citric acid.

All decompose at reasonable temps.

I have some citric on hand... any idea what it decomposes into? I wish I still had an academic account, this would likely be enlightening:
Link2
EDIT: er found it - it decomposes into lots of things... looks like it probably can't be relied upon to leave the premises. Same thing with the other two, decomposition is only half the battle, I need the products to leave, probably in gaseous form.

Patrick wrote ...

i find it hard to believe CA would decompose/volatize cleanly, as you require AndrewM. I may need to try this myself...

I'll let you know, have some CA in the oven as we speak.
AndrewM
Tue Nov 27 2012, 04:57AM
CA experiment showed... Heat really does destroy CA.

I glued 15 sheets of paper together with a single drop of CA in the center of each. When the stack was firmly bonded it went into the oven at 400F with a ~50g weight on top of the stack over the CA.

The purpose of the weight was to prevent the stack from separating when the CA was merely softened, as opposed to evaporated.

After about an hour pages could be peeled away slowly; the CA was clearly molten/tacky.

After about 3 hours most of the sheets were completely "free" with only some slight browning where the CA used to be. The sheets which got bigger drops of CA (it was hard to control accurately) were still bonded by definitely less strongly; the paper generally tore away easily with only surface tears.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: