Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SCR Trigger for Coil Gun

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
fatboyslim
Fri Nov 23 2012, 09:56AM Print
fatboyslim Registered Member #1779 Joined: Sat Oct 25 2008, 11:05AM
Hi There

I am planning a coil gun project, however while sourcing parts the SCR has been the most difficult to find. What I am wondering is whether anyone has any experience using the SCR which are so accessible on ebay.

This is what i'm referring to: SCR Thyristor 1600v 100A

My capacitor bank is 450v @ 5000uf. Barry's coilgun calculator puts my peak amps at around 800-900 amps. What i'm wondering is if anyone has previously used these SCR's and whether they have a peak amp rating high enough.
The one i have linked have a average rating of 100A and i've seen OTHER SCR with a average rating of 70A which can handle 1200A peak, so was wondering about this one.

Messaging the seller yielded no information or datasheets :(

Help would be much appreciated

Shrad
Fri Nov 23 2012, 11:31AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
such rated block thyristor have a pulsed current rating of at least 1000 amps, for what I know

anyway, for their price, its worth testing them
Yandersen
Sat Nov 24 2012, 06:32AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Don't!
At first, there are no datasheet. Second - this huge monster is obviously far more than you really need. Third - for $20 you can buy a few couples of normal thyristors so to have a backup.
fatboyslim
Sat Nov 24 2012, 12:04PM
I've increased my capacitor bank to 10000uf. Unfortunately i cannot find any Thyristors which can handle switching roughly around 1000-1100 amps. I'm limited to what I can find on Ebay as i live in New Zealand. Would it be safe to assume that since its so beefy that it should be able to handle this peak current?
klugesmith
Sat Nov 24 2012, 07:18PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Are you inexperienced at searching the Internet? Google helped me to find KP100 data in less than a minute.

This one Link2 points to a nice-looking data sheet without the spec you want.

This one Link2 points to a fuzzy scanned datasheet with the spec you want. KP100 without the A suffix, but IMHO close enough.
Note the pulse rating I_TSM of 1.8 kA @ 50 Hz, without further detail. A conservative interpretation would be that that's the peak of a single half-sine pulse 10 ms wide.

Good luck with your coilgun. Keep these things in mind:

1) SCR gate, unlike MOSFET, is low impedance & depends on current, but not too much! A fresh 9V battery could probably source enough current to damage the gate.

2) While waiting for your SCR, you could trigger the coilgun by just touching wires together. This is relatively gentle with a coil in the circuit, compared to a short circuit on the capacitor bank. Wear eye protection & mind your 450 volt insulation. If LCR network is underdamped, the metallic switch (unlike SCR) does not turn off at the reverse-voltage peak. (click the "show voltage" box in Barry's simulator.)
Yandersen
Sun Nov 25 2012, 09:52AM
I believe, DigiKey ships everywhere, check them out:
Link2
Here, directly to SCRs:
Link2
fatboyslim, to find thyristor which will fit your circuit you need to find out the approximate pulse length (T=Pi*sqrt(L*R)), peak current (I=U*sqrt(C/L)) and see I*I*t rating for fusing for the thyristor. Probably, your pulse length will be around 1ms, so you may just triple amperage given for 50Hz operation mode of a thyristor - it should handle the estimated current.
fatboyslim
Mon Nov 26 2012, 01:08AM
Thanks so much! Just as a back up I went out and bought SKKH57/12E Thyristor. I know its has a much higher pulse current rating than I need but it was only 15 dollars. It gives me a bit of leeway in case I up the cap bank.
This may sound dumb but do you have to wind the coil in one direction?
For example when starting from the left do you wind from (left ---- right, then start back at the left and go right) or is it ok to go (left ---- right then go back from right ---- left)
PSCG
Mon Nov 26 2012, 08:29AM
PSCG Registered Member #3792 Joined: Sun Mar 27 2011, 06:07PM
Only make sure that ALL the turns of the coil are facing the same direction while winding, i.e. clockwise or counter - clockwise (i hope it makes sense). Winding it as left-->right-->left is the same as left-->right-->back to left-->right.
Yandersen
Mon Nov 26 2012, 09:55AM
And if projectile is symmetrical, make sure to mark one end as a front and do not insert it in different direction, otherwise efficiency will drop a little each time you mess with the direction (remagnetisation losses).

"only 15 dollars" - you are pretty rich, huh? :) Keep in mind, that no matter how much current your fancy SCR can handle, it will be fried more likely due to some shortcut somewhere. So far I fried few, but at no case it was overcurrented by the coil. BTW, double check insulations all around the coil - if shortcut will happen inside, the coil will blow like a grenade, and SCR together with it.
fatboyslim
Mon Nov 26 2012, 12:47PM
Oh Wow, thanks for the tip, i'll definitely double check my insulations. Sorry i'm just confused about the I*I*t rating. Is that a peak rating before the thyristor fuses?
My simulation right now (after some changes) peaks at over 1600 amps @ 5.4ms (91.9hz). Ascertaining from what you said, since the frequency is higher, the thyristor should be able to handle it because its for a shorter duration of time? or have i completely lost the plot here :P
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: