Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil Gun Physics thread

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Microwatt
Thu Nov 08 2012, 04:18PM Print
Microwatt Registered Member #3282 Joined: Wed Oct 06 2010, 05:01PM
I want this thread to be a depository of coil gun, solenoid physics, pages that are dedicated to coil guns, amateur as well as military. please post all of the technical goodies below. hopefully in the future you could refer to this thread. If you know of any peer reviewed articles as well please list them.
BigBad
Sat Nov 24 2012, 09:12PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
OK here's what I know:

1) axial coils suck balls; Eric Laithwaite says so, and I believe him, the flux path is shit

2) if you use an iron projectile, applying a field that is stronger than its saturation means you've wasted (probably a lot of) energy

3) if your gun isn't saturating your projectile, you might as well use a presaturated projectile (i.e. a hard magnet) instead.

4) if you use permanent neo magnets for your projectile, you can pull up to 1000g for the length of your barrel; you can get about 2000g with iron- if you saturate it.
BigBad
Mon Jan 07 2013, 06:02PM
In a multiturn coilgun, for maximum speed, all the coils should optimally be the same physical size.

Later coils need to have less turns than earlier coils, but the turns need to be thicker, carry more current, to give the same current density and size and they must be pulsed more quickly to keep up with the projectile and give the same acceleration along the barrel.

Later coils really need to be litz of some kind.
Yandersen
Tue Jan 08 2013, 03:52AM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
For *maximum speed* coils must decrease in size being wound with the same wire as first stage - this way efficiency of each stage will stay the same while increase in kinetic energy will be higher and higher. Keeping size the same is the way to make kinetic addition the same while heat losses are getting smaller and smaller due to shortening of the pulse time.
BigBad
Tue Jan 08 2013, 02:28PM
You're not restricted to using the same wire, and/or you can lay wires connected in parallel.

There's a difference between constant power acceleration, and constant acceleration; in most cases you want constant acceleration if possible, because it gives a higher top speed.

If you want constant power, then you wind later coils smaller, if you want constant acceleration, then they're the same size. (This is obvious if you look at the situation from the point of view of the projectile, it doesn't know if the current is flowing in one fat turn or many thin, both have the same current density, but the inductance and resistance possible switching time is a lot lower with a lower number of turns, but the same total amount of wire)

Note that in both cases efficiency goes up the same with speed. Power done is F x v, whereas power losses are just current density^2 x p.
BigBad
Tue Jan 08 2013, 03:05PM
OK, you can get constant acceleration by making the later coils physically smaller, and running them at higher current density, but you lose more energy by doing that, and you need higher voltages.
Yandersen
Tue Jan 08 2013, 09:44PM
Acceleration will be the same for given coil geometry - if all have the same dimensions, they pull with the same force. Decreasing the number of layers increases current density (so as heat losses) but makes mag fileld closer to the projectile increasing the pull force this way.
I like to apply A = F*s formula here. It clearly shows why the same force and geometry result in a constant energy increase rate for each coil of a multistage coilgun (if timing is ideal, of cource).
BigBad
Wed Jan 09 2013, 06:20PM
I'm pretty sure that independent of the number of turns, there's nothing useful, performance wise, to be gained by winding a coil smaller, with higher resistance; I think for a given amount of wire, each coil should have the same mass of wire.

I did wonder about the time constant: L/R, which implies that you want high R for any L; but that struck me as fishy, but then I realised that the current approaches V/R after one time constant, so higher resistance means you end up with less current, and the time constant is a red herring, higher R means you don't get the same current, but you get there more quickly.
Yandersen
Thu Jan 10 2013, 01:01AM
Sorry, BigBad, I forgot that you guys used to monkey technologies such as looping current with damper diode and limiting current by coil' resistance. Of course, my LC-oscillator approach, operation of which can be easily described by school formulas, operate on different rules.
BigBad
Thu Jan 10 2013, 01:37AM
Apparently you're not following me.

I'm saying it will certainly work if you use progressively smaller coils, but it will be suboptimum.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: