Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Anyone know a good design for an array of interlocking linear actuators

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
jpoopdog
Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:00AM Print
jpoopdog Registered Member #6188 Joined: Wed Aug 15 2012, 08:34AM
Hi,

Recently i was inspired to try and create something that would emulate muscle movement, a linear actuator, however, solenoids can only pull over a very short distance, so i want to design an array which interlock and overal contract to the shortest possible length without sacrificing too much pulling power.

What i plan on doing is create many solenoids with parts that connect each other, such as a metal rod on the front of each solenoid and a hole in the back, though im not sure exactly how much extra magnetism the rod will conduct or how it will shape the magnetic feild, and how it will affect the magnetic pull. Does anyone know a good design for what im trying to acheive? maximum linear contraction with minimal loss of power at a high speed, if not, how would i go about working out exactly how to get the most pull over a longer distance?

I am willing to put in the time and effort to hand build hundreds of small solenoids and cores to any design, whatever it takes.
Marko
Mon Nov 05 2012, 04:21AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi

Your solution may be a linear stepper motor

You just need to find a way to miniaturize it into a flexible fiber and bundle many of them together to emulate a muscle wink

I contemplated that the "stator" may be a thin flexible steel tube with teeth inside, and the "rotor" would be a toothed wire sliding inside it. It's hard to picture, but you'd also need to have two thin long coils built into each fiber to produce stepper action.

Not something that could be built at home, but you could probably build a supersized version as a demonstration!

Marko
Sulaiman
Mon Nov 05 2012, 06:08AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
How about solenoids with a large pulling force using pulleys to exchange force for distance
... like the pulley system on a hoist/crane but in reverse?
e.g. Link2
Pinky's Brain
Mon Nov 05 2012, 08:44AM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Or a concertina type extending grating, like those toy boxing gloves.

PS. what does this have to do with radiation?
Steve Conner
Mon Nov 05 2012, 12:20PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Link2 This is the neatest emulation of muscle movement I've seen. There's a similar thing that works by heating nitinol "shape memory" wire.
Sulaiman
Mon Nov 05 2012, 02:11PM
Thinking about it ....
a stepper motor winding the pull-wire around it's shaft is probably the cheapest/easiest way to achieve controlled significant linear motion.
jpoopdog
Tue Nov 06 2012, 10:33AM
jpoopdog Registered Member #6188 Joined: Wed Aug 15 2012, 08:34AM
Its also the slowest method which is specifically why im not doing it.
Ive looked at every alternative method, and solenoids beats them all in everything but power to force efficiency and precision , the latter being the main reason they arent used as much as others.

I dont think i was able to accurately explain what i am trying to acheive, so ive attached a rough sketch of an example
im looking for whatever will allow the greatest pull force along with the highest possible amount of contraction, using either solenoids, electromagnets or both like ive done in my sketch. i dont know what the most effective way to go is when dealing with numerous solenoids, electromagnets can pull much harder than solenoids over a short distance, wheras solenoids work at a slightly longer distance thus the pull force is spread across that area. Im just not sure which is the best way to go, also considering space, although i could put a few solenoids together, i could build a hundred electromagnets and use them in the same space. im also not sure how effective using solenoids with interlocking cores (as in my sketch) would work.

1352197985 6188 FT146090 Solenoid Array Idea
Shrad
Tue Nov 06 2012, 01:13PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
pneumatic is the route to go

you wont need a super duper compressor to get decent force (a small car AC one would do) plus you can put the compressor at any place you want in your device
Sulaiman
Tue Nov 06 2012, 01:15PM
Is this open-loop or do you intend to have position or force feedback?
Dr. Slack
Tue Nov 06 2012, 02:56PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Yes, solenoids are pretty quick, until you start stacking them in series. Instead of just accelerating the mass of a small amarture, you're accelerating the mass of several solenoids. Not only that, the more remote ones are accelerated to a higher speed, so your "mechnical impedance" is going as N squared, where you have N stacked solenoids. The maths is much the same as for multi-stage Marx and C-W high voltage generators.

For power to weight ratio, you want the big burly cousin of the stepper motor that Sulaiman mentioned, the brushless DC motor, driven by a sensored ESC, so you can operate down to zero rotational speed.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: