Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Fuel Cells

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sun Sept 03 2006, 01:15PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hmm. I'd heard about using Peltiers as power generators, the main problem is getting the low voltage output converted efficiently to useable levels.

One approach that has been used before is to charge up a capacitor using the peltier output (1000 uF 6V tantalums are good for this) and then connect it in series with the peltier to momentarily get 2* voltage; this then gets fed into the charger etc.

the efficiency of this is pretty high and the required circuitry can be as simple as a three transistor "lm3909 clone" or just a MAX660 or ICL7660.

Its very unfortunate that tunnel diodes are extinct, they are nearly ideal for this application and there is no modern equivalent that runs down to <1V.
-A

EEYORE
Sun Sept 03 2006, 05:12PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hmmm, sounds pretty neat. I wonder how long before the "cold" side warms too much?
Seems that if the cold side could be kept cool without the need of any other such power, then a simple butane powered generator could be possible. Kinda like a low pressure torch built to run for long periods. 1.3volts at 1amp is very usable...Perhaps one could series two or more to increase voltage?

Matt
Marko
Sun Sept 03 2006, 07:01PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
IT takes few tens of seconds, depending how evenly and how fast I heat etc.

With few peltiers, good heatsink and fan one could make fan sustain itself from the power of ''cell'' (actually a thermoelectric converter Link2
from some source of heat, some burning coal maybe or butane torch..

It needs good cooling altough, I got some real current only after throwing a block of ice on cold side..

Someone can put few hot rocks inside too (just kidding, I hope nobody here owns *that hot* rocks amazed )

Although thing isn't really related to fuel cells.

As far as I figured out that commercial minicell doesn't require platinum at all (?) and it will be able to power small stuff like led's etc.
why don't you just series two or more cells and use much simpler and more efficient mosfet boost converter..?
EEYORE
Tue Sept 05 2006, 06:20PM
Firkragg wrote ...

IT takes few tens of seconds, depending how evenly and how fast I heat etc.

With few peltiers, good heatsink and fan one could make fan sustain itself from the power of ''cell'' (actually a thermoelectric converter Link2
from some source of heat, some burning coal maybe or butane torch..

It needs good cooling altough, I got some real current only after throwing a block of ice on cold side..

Someone can put few hot rocks inside too (just kidding, I hope nobody here owns *that hot* rocks amazed )

Although thing isn't really related to fuel cells.

As far as I figured out that commercial minicell doesn't require platinum at all (?) and it will be able to power small stuff like led's etc.
why don't you just series two or more cells and use much simpler and more efficient mosfet boost converter..?

I dont have the money to series enough of the fuel cells...The joule thief works alright for lighing ultrabright LEDs anyways...By the time the voltage drops below what the transistor will accept, the fuel cells has almost exhausted all its gas anyways...

I dont see how the mini fuel cell, or any fuel cell could work w/o platinum. I believe the platinum is the key to getting it to work anyways. Their methanol fuel cell membrane + electrodes all use platinum as well. I think the anode uses managanese to catalyse oxygen also, and the cathode uses platinum.
Link2
Matt
Marko
Tue Sept 05 2006, 10:13PM
Measured current from that peltier was actually short circuit, I doubt I get more than 100-200mW from it as maximum

After checking mini has electrodes platinum-coated (wasn't apparent at first).

Can you post pics, better explanations, you can give me 1 fromchermistry, etc. about that NaOH thing?

Seems easily replicate-able but doesn't fullfil definition of fuel cell for much.
I don't see why would gasses sitting on inert electrodes in NaOH dp 'something' really.
EEYORE
Wed Sept 06 2006, 03:46AM
Firkragg wrote ...

Measured current from that peltier was actually short circuit, I doubt I get more than 100-200mW from it as maximum

After checking mini has electrodes platinum-coated (wasn't apparent at first).

Can you post pics, better explanations, you can give me 1 fromchermistry, etc. about that NaOH thing?

Seems easily replicate-able but doesn't fullfil definition of fuel cell for much.
I don't see why would gasses sitting on inert electrodes in NaOH dp 'something' really.

Im not much of a chem buff, but I beleive the NaOH, or KOH(popular) are used in what are called alkaline fuel cells. In other words, the solution partly acts like a membrane, allowing only H+ ions to pass leaving behind e-. Since the hydrogen as a gas is H2, that leaves two e- and two H+ right?The electrons flow through the circuit to meet back up on the other side(cathode?). The OH ion also serves some purpose(general chemisrty stopped there for me smile)

So the platinum causes the H2 to split into protons and electrons I beleive, and the manganese somehow causes the solution to give up O2 (which recombine with H2 to form H2O. Here is how I try to explain it in simple terms..
H2 is a big bro and little bro. When big bros friends come over, he leaves lil bro behind. (Platinum is friend of big bro). Since lil bro cant stand to be away from big bro, he finds a way back!(the circuit), and thus the fuel cell.

Someone please help me out with my chemistry!I have no idea what im talking about wink
Matt
Bored Chemist
Wed Sept 06 2006, 05:33PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
This site
Link2
gives a fairly good explanation.
The NaOH solution acts like the polymer membrane (In fact, in the old days, there weren't any ion exchange polymer membranes so all fuel cells just used a tank of elecrtolyte so, from my point of view, the polymer is acting as a slightly strange electrolyte)
Marko
Wed Sept 06 2006, 08:23PM
I made a small alkaline cell of my own, sort of at least.

Firstly I dipped two carbon rods in NaOH and fired them up, but after each 'charging' I could get my small motor make just a revolution or two. Voltage was about 1V, but it would start to drop as I connected voltmeter to the cell.

I tried to save created gases by wrapping the rods in cotton wool, but it worked even worse.

Later I filled entire bottle with less dense wool but it didn't help.
It didn't hold small bubbles since solution was too viscous, and I would just get a big bubble burped out after a period of time.

I tried copper wires instead of graphite rods and they work as well, but positive electrode kept oxydising so I tossed them away.

Now I'm using graphite rods again with copper-zinc litz wire (from ATX cable) coiled around them.

WIre doesn't do anything itself (0V) but it keeps more gas around each electrode after 'charge'.

Most I got now is the small motor spun for few seconds.

I guess your platinum wire used same way could create some pretty good results.

EEYORE
Thu Sept 07 2006, 05:08AM
Firkragg wrote ...

I made a small alkaline cell of my own, sort of at least.

Firstly I dipped two carbon rods in NaOH and fired them up, but after each 'charging' I could get my small motor make just a revolution or two. Voltage was about 1V, but it would start to drop as I connected voltmeter to the cell.

I tried to save created gases by wrapping the rods in cotton wool, but it worked even worse.

Later I filled entire bottle with less dense wool but it didn't help.
It didn't hold small bubbles since solution was too viscous, and I would just get a big bubble burped out after a period of time.

I tried copper wires instead of graphite rods and they work as well, but positive electrode kept oxydising so I tossed them away.

Now I'm using graphite rods again with copper-zinc litz wire (from ATX cable) coiled around them.

WIre doesn't do anything itself (0V) but it keeps more gas around each electrode after 'charge'.

Most I got now is the small motor spun for few seconds.

I guess your platinum wire used same way could create some pretty good results.

Yea, i did this also awhile ago. I used NaOH and carbon electrodes. I got it to run my joule thief for a few seconds. If you have gas supply, you could bubble it over them. When i attempted to use methanol+KOH, i got nothing. I now beleive i got ripped off(ebay). Dont do business with Texas Supply...The platinum wire I have does catalyse H2O2 so I know its good, but the "methanol" does nothing in the pressence of the platinum wire.

Matt
Marko
Thu Sept 07 2006, 12:02PM
Can you try to wind the wire over the electrodes to catalyse the reaction?

Sadly for good performance you would need some kind of porous graphite electrodes with platinum particles (no something to find in trash)..
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: