Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Fuel Cells

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Mon Aug 14 2006, 07:23AM Print
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Hello all,
I have decided I would like to build a fuel cell. I would like to either build a hydrogen fuel cell, or a methanol fuel cell. I am not sure how to bypass spending $$$$$$ though. I have thourally checked out ebay and google and just see "kits" rather than materials. What is the membrane made of?Seems this is the one most costly part of the fuel cell. Which would be easier?Methanol, or hydrogen?
I have seen platinum wire glow in the presence of methanol. I wonder how hot?Perhaps a thermocouple heated by the glowing platinum creating some current?I am not looking to power my car, just looking to demonstrate the technology, perhaps lighting an LED at most...

Any tips?Has anyone made a good reliable one?I am really more interested in hearing ideas, or experience, rather than having others go research it online for me, unless they too would like to build one...(Hate doing others HW!)

Thanks!
Matt
Marko
Mon Aug 14 2006, 02:06PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
PE membrane is usually some kind of proton-porous polymer doped with tiny particles of platinum (hardly something you can come by).

Except membrane I don't think there's anything unacessable for you. Those 'kits' are usually consisting simply of two pieces of acrylic, two electrodes and PEM pressed between.
FUel cells are usually capable of giving lots of power out and have very high energy/weight ratio when compared to standard batteries.

Usually these stacks are paralelled to get high output voltage (putting this just because of nice picture) Link2

If you are unable to get a carpet roll of PEM or large amounts of exotic platinated metals I doubt you can come to building somethigng (but guys who produce 'kits' got their membranes from somewhere..?)
Bjørn
Mon Aug 14 2006, 05:06PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
You can demonstrate a primitive fuel cell without membranes, there are a few websites that describe how. The power output is extremely low.

Platinum wire glowing in metanol and a peltier element could give 5-20W. The peltier element has an efficiency of up to 10% but it is difficult to regulate the temperature.

If you want to run a car you should look into steam engines, a modern steam engine has a higher efficiency and lower weight than an internal combustion engine.
Marko
Mon Aug 14 2006, 07:03PM
Some available membranes and prices

Link2

EEYORE
Mon Aug 14 2006, 07:29PM
Firkragg wrote ...

Some available membranes and prices

Link2

That site seems a bit overpriced. 22$ for a small plate of graphite'?Come on... angry
So the methanol heating platinum wire inturn heating a peltier sounds feasible?I dont need more than maybe say 50mW.(around 2 volts)

What about pumping Hydrogen and Oxygen gas over two platinum wire coils?One coil gets hydrogen, the other gets oxygen?Are there ANY other materials that are cheaper than platinum that can be used as the catalyst?The only source of platinum i have is of like 44awg wire, 12inches for 5$. That is gosh darn THIN!

Matt
Marko
Mon Aug 14 2006, 07:47PM
Yep, such things get a bit expensive if you want soem really useful power.
I didn't find much places where you could get that membrane for cheaper.

Heating a peltier with platinum wire dipped in methanol wouldn't really be an electrochemical reaction and it would be unfair to call that a fuel cell.

Produced voltage and power is also going to be very low, after pouring liquid nitrogen on a side e of a peltier tesladownunder got some 150mA at 350mV (you'l have to stack a lot of these to light a led)

Link2
EEYORE
Mon Aug 14 2006, 08:12PM
There goes the methanol idea... smile

Well, i bought the guy out on ebay. I figure 3 strands of 43 awg wire twisted together should be much more manageable. Its is 92%platinum, 8%tungsten.

What I want to do now is coil them into two coils. Place them into a container filled with distilled water. Each coil will have a glass tube to direct hydrogen and oxygen gas over. This should allow the two gasses to recombine to form water, and thus produce a current, no?
Comments?
Matt
Electroholic
Mon Aug 14 2006, 08:43PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
you might need some electrolyte in the water.
say koh or something like that.
turnign the thin wires into coils is actually a very good idea.
good luck. and keep us posted.
EEYORE
Mon Aug 14 2006, 09:01PM
Electroholic wrote ...

you might need some electrolyte in the water.
say koh or something like that.
turnign the thin wires into coils is actually a very good idea.
good luck. and keep us posted.

How about NaOH?I can get that as RedDevil Lye in the store here...Im wondering how the direct methanol cells work. Seems it would be much easier to poor methanol into the cell than to pump H2 and O in there...The fuel cell store sells a methanol kit for 30$ which must be able to be built for like 5$ considering THEIR markups.
Link2
That looks QUITE simple and something tells me I wouldnt need to spend 30$ to get the results...So how might that thing work?What is converting methanol into electricity?Platinum?
Also, just how pure does the platinum need to be?My wire is 92% platinum...Might a platinum coated wire of much great thickness work better?
I plan to make a small dc-dc converter for this.

EDIT:
After some more googling, a methonal fuel cell needs just two electrodes ( could be graphite/stainless stell mesh ect, ) an electrolyte (KOH, maybe NaOH?) and fuel(methanol). So, what kinda methanol should i buy?I see it listed as plane methyl alcohol, and also as ANAHYDROUS?I guess it means, dry?Like, i mix it myself?In that case, I could make a strong molar solution and boost the cell?

Matt
Mon Aug 14 2006, 11:36PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Seems like for making the H2/O2 you would be best off using a little bit of metal dipped in a pool of water, with a little bit of salt in there to get the current flowing... As long as you only use a little voltage (3v) you should get mostly O2 and H2 out. Then let the bubbles rise up onto the electrodes and life would be good wink

As to their prices, I didn't see a $22 piece of pure carbon, but some pieces of carbon that had been machined with small channels in them ($$$) or pieces that had been doped with platinum ($$$$)... Their prices for the pem membrane seems decent for the quantities they are selling...

As to the % methanol; I would assume you would just mix a little pure methanol into the KOH solution. You could use something weaker, but add more of it to compensate. A page linked by yours states that 1-4M KOH should be used, so it is mostly water anyway.

Also, about the platinum... I think that instead of using wire you would get much more bag for the buck with Pt plated wire or foil. Seems like a 300u layer is pretty cheap... I calculate 15mg/in^2 (double for double sided) so at $38/g that is only $1/in^2 of platinum suprised But since we can't get foil with a 300u Pt plating for anywhere near what it costs in the platinum I think we should stick with a 2mg/in^2 Pt doped carbon for $20/in^2 as sold by the fuelcellstore sad
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: