Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Help with Small DRSSTC

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Bennem
Sun Aug 13 2006, 08:01PM
Bennem Registered Member #154 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:28PM
Hi Terry,
Yeah, i've tried reversing my primary feedback CT connections.
That was my first thought too.
I have been given an idea by Steve Ward....i will try switching to secondary feedback.
Seems that guys like 'Reaching' and 'Derek woodroft' have built their small coils with secondary feedback and had success.

cheers!
HV Enthusiast
Sun Aug 13 2006, 08:28PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Try the following:

1. Check your IGBTs first. If you are running a full-bridge or half-bridge, you may have killed some already. Typically, if you kill 1/2 the bridge, you will get only a small amount of output like you are seeing. Trying ohming out C-E with multimeter and check for high-ohms.

2. Ball park Tuning - Actually measure. Simple to do with just some sort of signal generator (even 555's work), and an LED and one resistor.

3. How much bus voltage do you have? Remember, if you primary is tuned much lower than the secondary, you may need considerable input voltage to get decent arcs. With my DRSSTC III system (which puts out more than 50" now), my arc length is less than 5" even at 200VDC bus voltage. Its only after this point that the streamer really grows.

1. What voltage input are you running and what is your measured bus voltage.
Bennem
Sun Aug 13 2006, 09:15PM
Hi Dan,

My Buss voltage goes up to 340 volts.
At full buss, spark is 3.5 inch long.

My Igbt's check ok.

HV Enthusiast
Mon Aug 14 2006, 12:00AM
Yeah, check those IGBTs, you may have one side (full-bridge i.e.) thats toast and that will do it.

If not that, then try checking the tuning.

SECONDARY RESONANT FREQUENCY

1. Attach 1k ohm resistor to base of secondary and feed into + input of signal generator. - input of signal generator doesn't have to attach to anything. Hook oscilloscope to secondary base end of 1k resistor. Oh yeah, put two opposing LEDs in series with this connection. Adjust signal generator frequency until LED is brightest. Remember series resonance is when circuit is lowest impedance (i.e. short circuit) so LED will be brightest at resonance. Use this to roughly determine your resonant frequency. Make sure your topload is on it as well and its in the spot where you would normally run the coil.

PRIMARY RESONANT FREQUENCY

1. Disconnect everything from the primary coil, primary capacitor. Connect the primary coil and primary capacitor in parallel. One end connects to GND of the signal generator. The other end through the LEDs and 1k ohm resistor. Parallel resonance is where impedance is at its highest, therefore, adjust signal generator frequency until LED is dimmest.

These will get you good ballpark numbers to compare resonant frequencies. Try this if your IGBTs are both okay.

If you have an oscilloscope, you can monitor voltage at the resistor as well to get a more accurate number, but shouldn't be necessary.

Bennem
Mon Aug 14 2006, 08:45AM
Cheers Dan for the advice!

I have no signal generator at present.....guess i'll have to run up a '555' timer one, and check the frequencies of the primary and secondary coils.

Thanks to all you guys for responding!.......i now have a few things to try out smile

Is the tunning more 'critical' on a smaller DRSSTC than a larger one?
On my last coil, i could tune it anywhere on its fourth turn and get the same spark length, laters, i de-tuned it 20% and got longer sparks due to streamer loading, of course the buss voltage had to be higher before break out would occur.
vasil
Mon Aug 14 2006, 01:01PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
I remeber that Steve said that is not enough for primary resonant circuit to switch only the primary or CT connections once time. Try reversing the primary, CT and GDT connections in the same time (just try /error thing).
Steve Ward
Mon Aug 14 2006, 03:30PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I remeber that Steve said that is not enough for primary resonant circuit to switch only the primary or CT connections once time.

Im not sure if maybe i said it wrong, but you are partially right. Reversing the primary coil (of the tesla coil) connections wont change the feedback phasing (like it will with secondary feedback). But, changing the CT connections (or removing the CT, flipping it over and putting it back on the wire, effectively reversing the primary of the CT) will give the desired 180* shift in feedback phasing.
Terry Fritz
Mon Aug 14 2006, 06:16PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

For an H-bridge, if both sides were wired to the GDT "in phase". Then there would really be little or no primary current flow. But the voltage on the primary would swing from +340 to -340 which might be enough to cause small acrs from capacitive coupling. So the only thing I can think of at this point is maybe both sides of the H-bridge are running "in phase" instead of "out of phase"...

Cheers,

Terry
Bennem
Mon Aug 14 2006, 11:53PM
Weh hey!!.....i found the fault,
It turned out to be faulty driver ic's UCC37321, both turned out to be faulty!
Now i have 3 inch spark at 35 volt buss voltage,
I wanna turn up the buss, but its late and have to think of my neighbors,
i spent the whole weekend trying to de-bug it, think i need a new driver board now!.....lol

Anyway, thanks guys for all your help!! smile
HV Enthusiast
Tue Aug 15 2006, 01:23AM
Well, you're not done yet. Now you need to find out why the drivers are bad. I'm guessing you probably ran the circuit at 100% duty instead of a light duty with an interrupter.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: