All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

oxygen and steel under pressure

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Tue Oct 02 2012, 01:35PM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Is there any danger of an explosion from the oxygen combining with steel tubing when using compressed AIR at 2000-2500 psi?

I have heard there is a danger of the oxygen igniting the carbon in steel when compressing PURE OXYGEN over 2500 psi. Does anyone have any information?
Ash Small
Tue Oct 02 2012, 02:38PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Why not use stainless tubing? 316L has a very low carbon content, below 0.03%. (The usual grade for pipework).

If I remember correctly, it is usually electropolished inside and out, which removes all traces of carbon at the surface.

(I think flushing with nitric acid can also be used for this, but I'd have to check (20% W/W, boiling.).)
IamSmooth
Tue Oct 02 2012, 04:04PM
I am using 316L, but I was just asking about the oxygen and steel as a general question.
Bored Chemist
Tue Oct 02 2012, 07:45PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Who cares about the carbon?
Iron will burn in pure oxygen at ordinary pressures.
Link2

However, if you don't get it hot enough to start a fire you should be OK. A badly designed piston or bearing might get hot enough to start the fire and then the rest of it will burn.
I have seen bits of what was left of steel gas cylinders and regulators after an oxygen assisted fire.
I wouldn't want to be there.
If you want to liquefy air for kicks and giggles, strip the oxygen out first and use the nitrogen.
IamSmooth
Wed Oct 03 2012, 02:15PM
I would love to get rid of the O2 first. I'm trying to see if I can get a nitrogen membrane cheaply, but new ones go for over $2000, which is beyond my "play" budget. Any suggestions how to burn the O2 without getting too crazy? I'm planning on a flow of 3 scfm.
Dr. Slack
Wed Oct 03 2012, 04:41PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Almost anything will burn with oxygen, the trick is to pick something usable.

In order to burn, you must have some residual oxygen concentration. I would guess that a) different fuels burn to different concentrations and b) that sort of information is not well documented anywhere. So any burning process is not going to strip oxygen, just reduce the concentration.

Seperating the oxide from your nitorgen stream is also an consideration.

Hydrogen is possibly ideal for the seperating issue, you just condense the water. You can get it from metal+acid, electrolysis, or delivered in a red-painted cylinder. The third is expensive, the first two are impractical for 3cfm.

Any carbon bearing fuel will leave you with CO2, which is easy to strip with NaOH and, as the oxygen concentration goes down, CO, which if wikipedia is to be believed will dissolve in all sorts of things like alcohol and acetic acid. Hydrocarbon fuels are available dirt cheap in great variety, take your pick. Carbohydrate fuels will also produce the same products.

Damp finely divided iron, or wire wool, will absorb oxygen by rusting, but at what rate per surface area? That is also very cheap and readily obtainable.

Alkaline pyrogallol is, I have heard, available as a photographic developer chemical. But then that's getting expensive again for the volumes you'd need.
IamSmooth
Wed Oct 03 2012, 09:20PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

Alkaline pyrogallol is, I have heard, available as a photographic developer chemical. But then that's getting expensive again for the volumes you'd need.

I don't think the damp steel wool will remove enough for my flow rate. I've read about pyrogallol from other threads, but this is toxic and I believe it forms CO, which I don't want to be around. As you mentioned, it is very expensive.

AndrewM
Fri Oct 05 2012, 10:48PM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
What diameter? There is a critical diameter at which heat lost to the tube walls will outpace the heat of combustion - in that case it doesn't matter how desirable the oxygen finds the steel.

Same phenomenon that prevents oxy-anything torches from melting/flashing back. Also one of the primary obstacles to microturbine generators.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: