All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Optical amateur "radio"

Move Thread LAN_403
Sigurthr
Sat Sept 29 2012, 03:07PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
As I'm a Ham and one of my other hobbies is Lasers I built a two-way "lightwave band communications station" some time about 18mo ago and put it on display during a local club meeting. I used a simple AM modulation circuit that varied the current going to a 100mW 658nm laser diode. I set the quescent current at around 80% maximum safe operating level and allowed for about +- 15mA variation based on audio input. It worked out very well and I was able to achieve reliable communication across about 700ft. I'm quite sure I could have made a much longer distance QSO but the main problem encountered was alignment. Even at only a couple hundred feet the precision level needed was incredible. I used a silicon photodiode as the receiver and trying to hit a 1/8"^2 target at 700ft distance is truly a challenge. It took two telescope tripods and a LOT of time to set up. If someone walked nearby it threw off the alignment a bit.
Conundrum
Tue Oct 02 2012, 04:37PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Interesting.
Did you run into the "speckle" problem associated with lasers?
I read somewhere if you randomise the beam by using a spinning frosted glass sheet this goes away giving you a well collimated but incoherent beam immune to speckle.
Bored Chemist
Tue Oct 02 2012, 07:39PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
That trick scrambles the speckle so you can't see it. We can only see about 16-20 frames per second.
I think you would hear any imperfections in the frosted glass as a tone at the frequency you spun it.
I think you would also hear noise from the variable transmission of the frosted glass. I'm not sure that helps.
Sigurthr
Thu Oct 04 2012, 03:34AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
I did not encounter any issues with speckle or aberrations. In fact, the signal was so strong that I had to purposely shift the receiver's photodiode slightly off axis of the beam as there was distortion when head-on. At shorter distances placing a single sheet of white paper over the photodiode to diffuse and filter out most of the light worked equally as well. Beam shape, transverse modes, and artifacts/aberrations were clearly not an issue. Rain drops reflecting the beam elsewhere were, though.
Shrad
Thu Oct 04 2012, 08:04AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
a 15cm long tube around the photodiode, as well as a filter designed for the waelength you use, should suffice to be away from those problems
Bugger
Tue Jul 29 2014, 08:34PM
Bugger Registered Member #2456 Joined: Wed Nov 04 2009, 11:19PM
Link2

-> they use it for digital signals/data network but judging from the construction it should also work as a analog rx tx aka "radio"
Conundrum
Sat Sept 13 2014, 06:31PM
Dave_B has a spare phlatlight if anyone wants it, I also have one working and one dead-but-useable-as-sensor unit.

Another option on the Rx end is to use an infrared LED as the sensor, as large area diodes are now available.
As all LEDs will tend to be more efficient as solar cells around 60nm more than their emission wavelength this could work very well indeed.

See Link2
My LEDs are around 780nm so take 60 from this and the efficiency should peak around 700nm which is only slightly into the infrared so a red phlatlight should still do the trick.

EDIT: 45mV under typical room lighting (7am) into 1Mohm.
Shrad
Mon Sept 15 2014, 09:10AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
Thanks for this schematic... I have a bunch of 6080 I have gathered for an audio amp, and I'll simulate this one!

Proud Mary wrote ...

1348928535 543 FT144843 Mercury Lamp Valve Modulator

This one can be resolved with a projector lens and a parabolic mirror, and maybe a white target so that you don't point the detector bur rather the beam image, increasing the sensitivity

Sigurthr wrote ...

As I'm a Ham and one of my other hobbies is Lasers I built a two-way "lightwave band communications station" some time about 18mo ago and put it on display during a local club meeting. I used a simple AM modulation circuit that varied the current going to a 100mW 658nm laser diode. I set the quescent current at around 80% maximum safe operating level and allowed for about +- 15mA variation based on audio input. It worked out very well and I was able to achieve reliable communication across about 700ft. I'm quite sure I could have made a much longer distance QSO but the main problem encountered was alignment. Even at only a couple hundred feet the precision level needed was incredible. I used a silicon photodiode as the receiver and trying to hit a 1/8"^2 target at 700ft distance is truly a challenge. It took two telescope tripods and a LOT of time to set up. If someone walked nearby it threw off the alignment a bit.
Conundrum
Thu Sept 25 2014, 06:38PM
Also it is worth noting that many of the new backlight strips from cracked laptop screens can be with care made into a primitive-but-effective optical comms transmitter by winding the flexible Mylar around a toilet roll holder so all the diodes line up.

EDIT: would you believe that this is totally novel, no other reference to this exists anywhere.
Sure there are plenty of single diode Tx units but nothing remotely like this, the bandwidth is limited due to phosphor lifetime but thats no biggie for audio use.

Anyone in line-of sight of Guernsey want to try this experiment?

-A

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: