All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/16 kg7bz (68)
05/16 steve516 (31)
05/17 Finn Hammer (72)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

separating liquid oxygen and nitrogen

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Thu Sept 13 2012, 03:58AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I've seen fractional distallation and membrane filters. Any other ways?

Could I submerge a magnet and "pull" the oxygen out if I'm talking about a small quantity.

The reason I ask is this: membrane filters seem to be very expensive. Fractional distallation requires that I store the evaporated N2 and reliquify it. I don't have a means to capture the evaporated N2. If I want to cool it, this requires another cooling apparatus. It will be a project enough just to get the air liquified.
AndrewM
Thu Sept 13 2012, 04:13AM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
If you have LN2 or can get it, the liquid air that condenses on the side of the reservoir will be LOX rich.

Doesn't get any easier than that.
Ash Small
Thu Sept 13 2012, 07:14AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Have you considered separating them before cooling?

You could use zeolytes (molecular sieves) or just burn off the oxygen, then remove the CO2,etc.
IamSmooth
Thu Sept 13 2012, 12:59PM
When liquifying air, Andrew, there will be a mixture. I'm not trying to get O2; I'm trying to get N2, so the condensed air won't help.

Ash, I've thought about burning the air, but I feel this will get complicated. I don't want to have any combustion going on near my setup. Further, the combustion would have to be complete, or else I will have other gases to deal with in the end.

I like the idea of the membranes, but they are expensive. Does anyone think my magnet idea is reasonable? Since O2 is paramagnetic, I could dip a large neodymium magnet into the mixture and just pull the O2 out. I just want to get the O2 content low enough that it is not a hazard for the short time I have the liquid.
Bored Chemist
Thu Sept 13 2012, 08:15PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
A magnet won't work.
Adding ammonia to air then passing it through a hot copper oxide catalyst will give you wet nitrogen (with a little argon etc). a cold trap would take out most of the water. A desiccant trap would do even better.

In practice this doesn't work as well as it looks because you get oxides of nitrogen. Also the reaction is rather exothermic so you have to be careful to keep it under control
IamSmooth
Thu Sept 13 2012, 09:32PM
why won't a magnet work?
Ash Small
Thu Sept 13 2012, 11:16PM
Google 'zeolites'. I'm experiencing some browser problems at the moment, but would have provided some links earlier otherwise.

I'm not talking 'membranes', I'm talking 'molecular sieves'.

(Sorry about the 'browser problems'.)

IamSmooth
Fri Sept 14 2012, 02:40AM
I think the sieves are what I meant. You are talking about the micron tubules that allow the faster gases to get through, and reject the larger molecules.

The question is where can I get one without paying a lot of money?
Ash Small
Fri Sept 14 2012, 07:08AM
IamSmooth wrote ...

I think the sieves are what I meant. You are talking about the micron tubules that allow the faster gases to get through, and reject the larger molecules.

No. there are numerous zeolites. Cat litter is one. They use another in oxygen concentrators to remove the nitrogen. Others are used with a backing pump in place of a high vacuum pump for vacuum experiments.

It would need some more research, but if you can find one that absorbs O2.......

It may be easier to react the O2 with something else though, and remove it that way, depending on what's available to you.

EDIT: Link2

EDIT: Found this, not sure hw relevant t is:

"Portable" depends entirely on what purity of N2 you need. If 98-99% is OK, then a PSA system can do that. The adsorbent used is a carbon molecular sieve. They're made by firing carbonaceous material first to create a porous body and then to with a controlled amount of oxidizer (H2O or CO2) to burn out the pores. Sometimes there's another firing in inert gas to desorb CO2 and CO species; I suspect this is useful for N2 separation, but I don't have anything definitive. Bituminous coal is one typical feedstock of the adsorbent.

This is a kinetic separation; the pores have to be (on average) small enough so that the difference in diffusion between O2 and N2 is large enough. The O2 diffuses faster through the pore; presumably this is some not-quite-bonding effect between O2 and carbon that causes a lowering of surface tension and subsequently lower boundary-slip friction. So a lot depends on the adsorbent processing.

If you need higher purity N2, then what's typically done is a deoxygenation step, which is in three parts. The first is to introduce H2 into the mostly-N2 gas stream. The second is catalytic oxidation of the H2; this is just a catalytic converter run "backwards", since we're removing O2 and not a combustible from the output gas. The third is a dehydration step."

Link2

EDIT: Also found this:http://aussiezeolite.com.au/yahoo_site_admin/ assets/docs/DK2772_ch22.166185814.pdf
IntraWinding
Fri Sept 14 2012, 01:26PM
IntraWinding Registered Member #2261 Joined: Mon Aug 03 2009, 01:19AM
On a small scale you could slowly pass air over heated powdered metal.

An old chemists way to strip out oxygen from a air is to bubble it through an alkaline solution of pyrogallol (a photographic developer).

You can buy little packets that look like those silica gel bags you see everywhere but which absorb oxygen instead of moisture. Unfortunately you have to order a shed load. The ones I found were based on absorbing oxygen by the rusting of finely powdered iron and went on to discover that a type of cheap disposable hand warmer sold in a local shop was iron based too, so it's clearly quite an energetic/rapid reaction. Here's the list of ingredients for the hand warmers I found online in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) .

Iron
water
cellulose
vermiculite
activated carbon
sodium chloride

Another cheaper possibility if you want large quantities might be to use a tank of some single celled organism that can strip all the oxygen out of bubbled through air without suffocating itself. You could try growing a bunch of bugs from soil samples, say an inch underground where they have to fight to get oxygen but it's not totally absent. The nice thing is they would evolve to use oxygen in the way you supply it over time! You might develop your own product!
This is informative: Link2

You can remove CO2 by passing through Sodium Hydroxide solution.

I looked into oxygen removal previously because a friend was trying to grow some anaerobic microbes (oxygen hating) for an art project and was struggling to eliminate oxygen for them.

What do you want to do this for?

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: