Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

What would happen if a coilgun was built using AC current through the coil.

Move Thread LAN_403
Yanom
Thu Sept 06 2012, 01:31AM Print
Yanom Registered Member #4659 Joined: Sun Apr 29 2012, 06:14PM
I don't plan on building this, but here's a thought experiment: What if it was possible to build a coilgun where the current through the coil was A/C current? How would the rapidly reversing current through the coil affect the magnetic field and the projectile? Would it increase or decrease performance over the same amount of energy DC?

The reason I'm asking is because I played around with Barry's RLC sim, and found that at extremely high voltages and low capacitances, there's a "ringdown effect" when firing, as the current reverses multiple times in the coil before dieing away to nothing. This effect looks a lot like A/C current, but with gradually decreasing voltage as it dies away.

jnbrex
Thu Sept 06 2012, 04:55AM
jnbrex Registered Member #3950 Joined: Wed Jun 15 2011, 12:45AM
An AC current would create an oscillating magnetic field which would, if we assume the projectile to be conductive, induce eddy currents on the surface of the projectile and exert a repulsive force on the projectile. Thus, creating an accelerator with an AC current would most likely decrease efficiency, as energy would be wasted as heat on the surface of the projectile and the repulsive force of the changing magnetic field would cancel out some of the attractive force caused by ferromagnetism. Accelerators that have a non-ferromagnetic, conductive projectile (like copper) are actually fairly common, and work through the repulsive force on the projectile caused by the changing magnetic field.
Yanom
Thu Sept 06 2012, 02:23PM
jnbrex wrote ...

Accelerators that have a non-ferromagnetic, conductive projectile (like copper) are actually fairly common, and work through the repulsive force on the projectile caused by the changing magnetic field.

That's called a Thompson coilgun, isn't it? Is it possible to convert a normal coilgun to a Thompson by just replacing the projectile material? Would this type of coilgun work with an AC current?
Barry
Sat Sept 08 2012, 05:43AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Alternating current coilgun? Sure, why not, it was done quite handily in 1937 by EF Northrup and documented in considerable detail in his book "Zero to Eighty". See some extracts from "Zero to Eighty" republished online. These can be really quite efficient with proper design.

Enjoy, Barry
Yanom
Sat Sept 08 2012, 08:43PM
a "linear induction motor". interesting.

I tried winding about 2ft of wire into a coil around a straw, and putting the small coil about halfway into the coil of my big (DC) coilgun, which shoots iron slugs about 4m. I fired it and the little coil didn't move at all. Am I not setting this up right?
ConKbot of Doom
Sun Sept 16 2012, 12:31AM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
Did you short out the ends of the coil? If you didnt, then no current is going to flow in the wire, and you just have copper in a magnetic field, so nothign will flow. Feed one end of the wire though the center of the coil and twist/solder it with the other end and you should begin to at least see *something* happen.
Yanom
Sun Sept 16 2012, 01:36AM
ConKbot of Doom wrote ...

Did you short out the ends of the coil? If you didnt, then no current is going to flow in the wire, and you just have copper in a magnetic field, so nothign will flow. Feed one end of the wire though the center of the coil and twist/solder it with the other end and you should begin to at least see *something* happen.
Yes, the ends were shorted. I think the problem may have to do with "di/dt", the rate of rise of current through the coil. What's considered good di/dt? How about 100Amps/millisecond? I had a theoretical circuit design that would produce an AC waveform with that di/dt level each cycle.
BigBad
Fri Nov 23 2012, 06:16AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
The standard version of this is the jumping rings isn't it?

You can get levitation/repulsion with single phase, no problem.

Running at 50hz, there's a ferrite(?) rod down the middle I think; I think it makes it work better.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: