Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/27 Daniel Davis (53)
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Mystery pigeon disappearances

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Conner
Mon Sept 24 2012, 09:31AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I thought reversals were supposed to be a result of some sort of fluid dynamic instability in the big swirly mass of molten iron inside the earth's core.
GeordieBoy
Mon Sept 24 2012, 02:17PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
That's what I had always believed too.

However, thinking about it again now, wouldn't this molten iron be above its Curie temperature and therefore non-magnetic anyway!?!? confused

-Richie,
Ash Small
Mon Sept 24 2012, 02:39PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

I thought reversals were supposed to be a result of some sort of fluid dynamic instability in the big swirly mass of molten iron inside the earth's core.

GeordieBoy wrote ...

That's what I had always believed too.

However, thinking about it again now, wouldn't this molten iron be above its Curie temperature and therefore non-magnetic anyway!?!? confused

-Richie,

That may well be the case, but it seems reasonable to assume that it could still triggered by 'external influences', rather than just 'happening' for no apparent reason.
BigBad
Sun Oct 28 2012, 07:57PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Or could it be that there's just more birds of prey around these days?

A number of raptors have been reintroduced; red kites for example.

There was a pigeon killed in my parents back garden, a few hours later I found a buzzard munching on the kill, but I don't know that it originally brought it down. They also have red kites in the area, I saw one.
Chip Fixes
Mon Oct 29 2012, 11:38PM
Chip Fixes Registered Member #3781 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:25AM
I spent a summer researching Geomagnetic Pole Reversals so I can help answer any questions. On average, Earth undergoes a geomagnetic reversal approximately every 500,000 years. The last one happened 780,000 years ago; but that doesn't mean one will happen anytime soon. The magnetic field has stayed the same for tens of millions of years but has also switched twice in the span of 50,000 years.

Jonathon Leake, a journalist in London, wrote an article on the geomagnetic reversal in 2003. In the article he explains that scientists have found large holes appearing in the Earth's magnetic field, suggesting the North and South Poles are preparing to reverse positions in a magnetic flip. The holes in the field are over the South Atlantic and the Arctic. The detailed data was published when the Danish Orsted satellite was analyzed and results were compared with data from earlier satellites. The speed of the change in the magnetosphere has surprised scientists. Nils Olsen, of the Centre for Planetary Science in Denmark, one of several scientists analyzing the data, said the Earth's core appeared to be undergoing big changes. He added: "This could be the state in which the Earth's geodynamo operates before reversing." This may be a reason why some migrating birds end up in strange places, instead of their regular destinations. The change in fields may also explain why whales are beaching themselves more often, says Jim Berkland, a geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey. He explains that the lines of navigation that whales follow have shifted and now lead some whales onto the beach. When they are taken back to the water and set free, they continue to follow the same magnetic lines and thus end up beached, once again.

Interesting to note as well, the sun is supposed to have a polar reversal this year as well

Interesting picture below:
1351553894 3781 FT143775 Pole
Patrick
Mon Nov 19 2012, 01:37AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
just out of curioscity, how long does a pole reversal take to complete? 1 hour or 100 years? or what?
Conundrum
Tue Nov 27 2012, 09:28PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Several hundred years.
-A

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: