All today's birthdays', congrats!
Linas (34)
Toasty (29)

Next birthdays
05/15 Linas (34)
05/15 Toasty (29)
05/16 kg7bz (68)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Oscilloscope bandwidth question.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Wed Aug 15 2012, 02:34PM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I've read in several posts here that,for accurate readings, a 'scope should only be relied upon for up to half of it's maximum bandwidth.

I picked up a 50Mhz 'scope with a 30Mhz module at a hamfest for £20 at the weekend (Telequipment D83).

My question is as follows:

Assuming it works ok (I've not plugged it in yet), is the maximum reliable frequency half the frequency of the 'scope (50Mhz/2=25Mhz) or half the maximum frequency of the plugin module (30Mhz/2=15Mhz)?

(I hope this question makes sense)
HV Enthusiast
Wed Aug 15 2012, 02:57PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Here is a good article on bandwidth

Link2

Steve Conner
Wed Aug 15 2012, 03:01PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The system will presumably be 3dB down at 30MHz, as that is the definition of bandwidth.

As to "reliable frequency" it very much depends on what waveform you're looking at. To get a faithful picture of an arbitrary waveform, you want a bandwidth about 10 times the fundamental frequency of the waveform. For looking at fast digital signals, 3x is an absolute minimum as it lets you see the 3rd harmonic of a square wave. If you're just looking at a sine wave, you can go right up to 30MHz or even a little over.

If you're looking at pulses, there is a relation between bandwidth and rise time. If the pulses are too fast for the scope, the scope's own rise time will dominate.
Ash Small
Wed Aug 15 2012, 03:20PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

If you're looking at pulses, there is a relation between bandwidth and rise time. If the pulses are too fast for the scope, the scope's own rise time will dominate.

But is this determned by the 'scope itself, or by the plug in module?

(maybe I didn't phrase the inital question very well)
Wed Aug 15 2012, 03:39PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
It is whichever is slower, so it will be that of the module. If they are both about the same (ex, a 50MHz module in the 50MHz slope) you enter a grey zone where you might end up with a scope that only has a bandwidth of slightly slower than each component (would be about 45MHz in this example), unless the scope manufacture thought of that and included that in their bandwidth calculations.
Ash Small
Wed Aug 15 2012, 05:11PM
Thanks for the replies.

The article that EVR linked to is quite informative.

It seems I just need to input a square wave from a sig. gen., and increase the frequency until the waveform on the 'scope starts to show a non-linear response to determine the accuracy of this particular 'scope.

I hope to get it fired up later, but I'll also need to invest in some higher frequency probes (I assume I should be looking for 100Mhz probes) and get my 'other' sig. gen. fired up.

I'll post again later.
Sulaiman
Wed Aug 15 2012, 11:23PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I use these probes at home and at work Link2
They are fairly robust, have more than enough bandwidth for your 'scope/plugin, and are fairly cheap. (maybe even cheaper on eBay)
Ash Small
Thu Aug 16 2012, 09:11PM
Well, I fired it up tonight, but couldn't get a trace.

I've downloaded the service maunal, and I'll use my other 'scope (a Telequipment D61a) to try and diagnose the problem(s).

Is this the best forum to ask for pointers, or can anyone recommend other forums?

(It's a Telequipment D83, circa 1976)
Ash Small
Fri Aug 17 2012, 04:13PM
Well, after reading a few threads on 'vintage-radio.net' I've managed to get it going. (It still needs a bit more 'tweaking', though, but it's not bad for £20 smile )

The first image is at 10kHz,

1345219977 3414 FT143324 Dscf0678

the second at 1MHz.

1345219977 3414 FT143324 Dscf0669

The second clearly shows I need some faster probes (I'll probably get a couple of the ones Sulaiman linked to, unless I find a better deal on Ebay).

I've only tested to 1MHz so far, as that is the limit of my Farnell LFM2 sig. gen., and far beyond the limits of my Maplin probes.

I'll have to get my Taylor sig. gen. going but that will be the subject of another thread, as I can't even understand the operating manual.

Steve Conner
Fri Aug 17 2012, 04:41PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The waveform at 1MHz looks pretty bad, but I think it could be your signal generator to blame. The LF series were audio oscillators, not really the fastest thing around. Try looking at the scope's own calibration output. It is only 1kHz but if you wind down the timebase, you should see a nice fast rise time and flat top.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: