All today's birthdays', congrats!
cbfull (52)
Steve Ward (39)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

IGBT driver problems

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Pinkamena
Wed Jul 25 2012, 08:20PM Print
Pinkamena Registered Member #4237 Joined: Tue Nov 29 2011, 02:49PM
Hello!

I am having some problems with my IGBT driver, and I was hoping you people could help, as I have not been able to solve it on my own.

My IGBT driver circuit is unable to switch my IGBTs on when the voltage between the collector and emitter is above ~100V. I looked at the turn-on pulse from the IC (pin 6 & 7), and it became more and more noisy the higher Vce on the IGBTs was, and when it was above ~100V, it disappeared.

Here you can see my schematic (nevermind the wrong name on the IC). The IGBT driver IC is connected to two parallel IGBTs, that control the current for a coil (this is for a coilgun). When the electrolytic capacitor C is charged to over ~100V, the IGBTs will not turn on. They are rated for 1200V.

Datasheet for the IGBTs
Datasheet for the driver IC

1343247560 4237 FT0 Igbt Driver

1343247560 4237 FT0 P1000085
Ben Solon
Wed Jul 25 2012, 11:50PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
Did you see if the igbt gates will hold a charge at that voltage? Try them one at a time to check if one is leaky or something. Plus this won't affect the gates turning on or not, but if you parallel igbts you need a gate resistor for each gate. Just to reduce ringing and match the switching more accurately.
Pinkamena
Thu Jul 26 2012, 09:35AM
I have not tested that, no. How would I do that? Replace the coil in my circuit diagram with a high-ohm resistor and try to turn the IGBTs on without using the driver circuit?
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Jul 26 2012, 11:19AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I would try connecting pin 3 directly to Vcc, possibly it could be picking some interference (not very likely but just to be sure).
Thomas W
Thu Jul 26 2012, 12:20PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
from what i can see from the Driver IC Datasheet, it already has a internal 100k pull up resistor.
other then that i cant see anything wrong with it and ive been sitting here and looking at that schematic for a while.
Jrz126
Thu Jul 26 2012, 12:56PM
Jrz126 Registered Member #242 Joined: Thu Feb 23 2006, 11:37PM
Whats the 9V supply voltage look like? Might need to add some capacitance near by since the gates can pull a big slug of current when switched on.
Can it drive a single igbt?
Pinkamena
Thu Jul 26 2012, 02:31PM
Jrz126 wrote ...

Whats the 9V supply voltage look like? Might need to add some capacitance near by since the gates can pull a big slug of current when switched on.
Can it drive a single igbt?

No, removing one of the igbts did nothing. It still will not fire properly above 100V. The 9V power supply is able to deliver 1.2 amps, so it should be enough. It works for low Vce, like 40V.

I also noted now that when I discharge the cap bank through a resistor, the IGBTs can turn on at Vce higher than 100V. But when I tried this, sizzling noises came from somewhere, I think it might have been my 9V power supply. It is all so strange...

Another point of interest: When I attempt to switch the igbts, and it doesn't work, the cap voltage drops rather rapidly (couple of volts per second). I can think of two possible reasons why this is happening:
1 - Current goes from the collector, into the gate, through the igbt driver IC, and to ground.
2 - The igbts are only slightly turned on, letting a small amount of current go through.

What are your thoughts on this?
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Jul 26 2012, 05:23PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
2 is probably right. Measure the voltage of your 9V power supply. Also, an IGBT usually needs at least 12 volts to turn on fully.
Pinkamena
Thu Jul 26 2012, 05:34PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

2 is probably right. Measure the voltage of your 9V power supply. Also, an IGBT usually needs at least 12 volts to turn on fully.
I see. I should probably find a way to supply the driver with 15V then, as the datasheet recommends. I am not certain how I should to this, though. Is it possible to make a voltage doubler for DC?
HV Enthusiast
Thu Jul 26 2012, 06:57PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
How are you supplying your 9V?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: