Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

A very portable high power DRSSTC

Move Thread LAN_403
williamn
Sun Aug 06 2006, 05:30PM Print
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
Since work and school have increased constraints on my free time currently and the foreseeable future I will not be able to drive to the Cheesehead thon in a month. I am going to fly up there. I can't go emtpy handed and my while my new little DRSSTC is quite cool its puny 20"ish discharges just dont warrant draging it 1500+ miles. I need something with small stature, modular construction for easy takedown, repair, and ridiculous output capability. I want to be able to fit the whole thing in a padded armoured case so I can take it with me on the plane (saftey officials should have a riot scanning this luggage) cheesey
I already have a plan, let me know what you think:
12" x 4.5" secondary winding wound with 36AWG wire with the addition of a 12"x3" spun AL torroid will give a Fres of approx 80Khz. A fullbridge of 1200V 400A bricks supplied via a doubler so thats 680V on primary! The hardest part of this project will be winding the secondary I will have to build a jig that will not only rotate the coil form but also rotate the wire spool. I might try to use a larger diameter secondary like a 8"x12" give me your thoughts construction of the all SMT controller/gatedriver/powersupplies starts today.
Steve Ward
Sun Aug 06 2006, 08:02PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Hi William,

With only a 12" tall secondary, the most you could possibly squeeze out of the thing is maybe 48" sparks. With this in mind, i would suggest not using a full-bridge of such massive bricks (it only makes the gate driver more complicated). You could easily get by with a full-bridge of the 40N60 IGBTs (they pumped out 80" on my coil with no problem). Or, if you really wanted to use the massive bricks, just a half-bridge would be more than overkill :P. I also dont see much advantage of going to a fatter 8" secondary, but then again, i never tried this myself with a DRSSTC.

Good luck, your time is running short!

Do you know what airport you are going to fly into?
williamn
Sun Aug 06 2006, 08:40PM
I think the diameter of the secondary is dependent on the size of case I can get ahold of. If I can get a fat case I will go with the 8", if not then I will use the 4.5". The reason I want to use bricks is they are overkill and that should add to the reliability and also I have a bunch of them. I could just use one 1200V halfbridge module with a doubler or tripler. If I can squeeze 48" out of it I would be extremley happy. The control and gate drive should not be a problem, I am going to use a card based construction, they will all slide into a small racked enclosure for ease of repair or disassembly. The only 40N60s that I have are the T0247 case and those are a pain to replace if one should fail, although I do have a few dozen or so of these and I if could come up with a fullbridge design based on T0247 halfbridge modules(cards) then they would be easier to use. This project should come together quickly. I am off all next week so I should be able to get a good bit done. I also would like to incorporate a interupter that varies its BPS from high to low and vice versa. I noticed with my other DRSSTCs that when I altered the BPS up and down quickly that I got some pretty long and cool looking discharges.
I am going to buy my tickets on Monday or Tuesday what airport do you reccomend I fly into?
Dr. Drone
Mon Aug 07 2006, 04:36PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Steve Conner
Mon Aug 07 2006, 04:51PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
My DRSSTC fitted into a suitcase and gave about 40" sparks:
Link2

Or 60" if I cheated and added an extra toroid that couldn't fit in the case wink

I'd be surprised if they let you take it on a plane though (which is why I took the train that time)
williamn
Mon Aug 07 2006, 04:53PM
I do not intend carry it on the plane. I will check it, and provide notification that its a sensitive scientific instrument. smile
Dr. Drone
Mon Aug 07 2006, 05:11PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Steve Ward
Mon Aug 07 2006, 06:42PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
You could always ship it here and back... UPS doesnt seem to care if you are shipping a tesla coil or a box of books, all the same to them.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: