Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Working With SMDS - Prototyping

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Horden
Sun Aug 06 2006, 05:09PM Print
Adam Horden Registered Member #176 Joined: Tue Feb 14 2006, 09:35PM
Hi All,

I want to start working on my new projects but all the parts I want to use are now all SMD only so its a little hard to build a rats nest prototype without making a pcb.

Farnell sell these Link2

Will these work for most of the new smds like DPacks and the small SOT223 SOT23 I-pak and d-pak? I am guessing the will work with SOIC ICS as well.

Whats the best way to solder them using a fine tip a decent light and gluing them in place while soldering them in place? I think there is a glue designed for doing this.

Any one got any tips?

This is the first time I will be working with SMDs.

Adam
Electroholic
Sun Aug 06 2006, 07:02PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
its really not that hard, a very clean fine iron tip, and a steady hand will do. you can also practice on old electronix stuff first. like broken laptop mobo and junk like that.
Pete
Sun Aug 06 2006, 08:05PM
Pete Registered Member #106 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:39PM
Try this if you have the time.

Link2

These guys are using their toaster oven to do all at once soldering. I've never tried it, but have heard it's a nice way to go.

Pete
Sun Aug 06 2006, 11:06PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Well, as long as you don't want to use any parts smaller than sioc, you should be fine with just a fine tipped soldering iron (preferably temp controlled) and plenty of flux. I cannot stress the importance of flux enough, it makes soldering much easier.

I wouldn't worry about to glue too much, seems to work fine to just hold them in place with a tweser, but it might make life easier for you. I would recommend something that is more just a sticky goo than a glue, so you don't have to wait for it to dry.

As to prototyping, the correct device to use is called a 'surf board' and can be bought from places like digikey or sparkfun for about $1/board that will handle a single chip. This does get expensive tho... They have a set of pads for the chip, and then either pins on the side, or just pads to build the circuit on the board.

If you would be willing to draw up a layout for your converters for whatever pinouts of chips you need (sioc-8 and 16, to-23, and 8035 packages come to mind) I would be happy to etch a board of them for you. I could do a 2x5" of you design board shipped for $20.

I also have tons of smd parts if you need anything, just see my assorted components thread.

Overall I would recommend that you use a hybird approach to prototyping, using smd components of the 'big' components like the ic's, and using normal leaded resistors/caps/led/etc all on a bread board; because no matter how hard you try you are going to end up with a major rats nest of wires running around after the first few revisions which makes it very hard to use a soldering iron on the board (thus being able to plug the stuff in is a good idea).

Have fun!
williamn
Mon Aug 07 2006, 12:48AM
williamn Registered Member #55 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:56AM
I use through hole components and a breadboard or perf board for proto work, then design a PCB using SMD.
Adam Horden
Mon Aug 07 2006, 01:07PM
... wrote ...

Well, as long as you don't want to use any parts smaller than sioc, you should be fine with just a fine tipped soldering iron (preferably temp controlled) and plenty of flux. I cannot stress the importance of flux enough, it makes soldering much easier.

I wouldn't worry about to glue too much, seems to work fine to just hold them in place with a tweser, but it might make life easier for you. I would recommend something that is more just a sticky goo than a glue, so you don't have to wait for it to dry.

As to prototyping, the correct device to use is called a 'surf board' and can be bought from places like digikey or sparkfun for about $1/board that will handle a single chip. This does get expensive tho... They have a set of pads for the chip, and then either pins on the side, or just pads to build the circuit on the board.

If you would be willing to draw up a layout for your converters for whatever pinouts of chips you need (sioc-8 and 16, to-23, and 8035 packages come to mind) I would be happy to etch a board of them for you. I could do a 2x5" of you design board shipped for $20.

I also have tons of smd parts if you need anything, just see my assorted components thread.

Overall I would recommend that you use a hybird approach to prototyping, using smd components of the 'big' components like the ic's, and using normal leaded resistors/caps/led/etc all on a bread board; because no matter how hard you try you are going to end up with a major rats nest of wires running around after the first few revisions which makes it very hard to use a soldering iron on the board (thus being able to plug the stuff in is a good idea).

Have fun!

Cheers for the advice. Basically I am going to use regular parts as best as I can but the inductor and mosfet / diode FETKEY package is all in SMD so I have about 4 SMD parts the rest can be regular components just rats nested to the PCB. My idea was a peace of that SMD board glued to a peace of copper clad and cut out aeras for common ground and supply and of course the power supply then use vero board (strib board) to use with the regular parts and micro. Might look a mess but it will get the prototype working as fast as possible.

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf7324d1pbf.pdf

Diode and Mosfet combined in one package. This sucker is really nice RDS on is 0.27 ohms, VDS is 20V, ID @ 25 deg is 1.8A and IDM is 22A. It’s in a SO-8 package.

It’s fu*#ing small!

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/28593.pdf

Inductor 2200uH 1.2A.

These parts are crucial to the design so I am using them as they are in SMD form. Everything else is standard resistors, capacitors, 8 pin SOIC micro etc.

I am going to buy one of these http://www.roth-elektronik.com/MIME/datasheets/dynamic/datasheet.php?datasheet_id=RE435-LF_ENG?

The only problem I think I am going to have is with the FETKEY.

Adam
Mon Aug 07 2006, 02:23PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The so-8 package isn't all that hard to use... I have seen people that have successfully made an adapter out of perfboard (pad per hole). You take a piece 5 holes wide and 4 holes long, then use an exacto knife to remove the middle 4 pads (going the short way), then the one on either side of middle at the ends (4 more) then cut the two remaining pads in the middle in half (make the cut parallel to the short axis). Then you can solder the chip on the two cut pads, then use a little wire to jump the top/bottom half of the split pads to the 8 pads remaining on the sides, and then solder a piece of 26awg solid wire in each of the 8 holes on the side. If you have no clue what I am talking about, I can draw a pic for you.

BTW, a SO-8 is an 8 pin SOIC package.
Adam Horden
Mon Aug 07 2006, 03:24PM
Hi,

Thanks I have seen that method. I will order the parts today and some fine wire and a peace of that board hopefully the stuff should be here tomorrow so I can build my prototype. I have some SDM adsheive on my parts list so that should help and a very fine soldering iron tip and fine solder any way.

Thanks for the tips I think I know how to go about this now. I also got a small pair of tweezers.

It will be a half and half prototype and I will post some pics. Some SMD some regular parts just to make it easier on me.

Adam
Steve Conner
Mon Aug 07 2006, 03:25PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I've managed to prototype a power electronic circuit using those SO-8 MOSFETs, switching about 2.5A at 5V. I just built it with the method I usually use, on double-sided copperclad PCB that I carved up with a Dremel. The prototype worked fine and translated well to the 4-layer PCB that I used for the production unit.
Conundrum
Wed Aug 09 2006, 05:43PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi Adam.

If you have a use for them, I have some surplus dual FETs from old hard drive PCBs which are 8 pin SOIC, as well as some Maxim LED driver chips.

Also have SMD resistor and ceramic+tantalum capacitor kits, so if you need a specific value or 10 email me and I will send you some.

Regards, -A

"Bother" said Pooh, as he was hit in the face by a nuclear explosion...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: