Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SSTC question

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
vasil
Sat Aug 05 2006, 02:31PM Print
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
It would be possible to have , for a SSTC, only 2 IGBTs, as for a half bridge, but still full voltage on the primary (not V/2 as for halfbridge), something like this:

http://www.geocities.com/gemaria_ro/sstcex.html

It would use two primaries, oposite wounded ( a bifilar cable).
Marko
Sat Aug 05 2006, 03:17PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I tried such a thing not so long ago. It won't behave as a normal bridge SSTC, but rather as double ended flyback SSTC and will suffer from big voltage spikes on primaries.

WIthout class E operation you probably won't be able to increase input voltage to more than some 50V or etc. for 600V igbt's (with best adjustment of pprimary turns and impedance match).
vasil
Sat Aug 05 2006, 03:31PM
Pitty...i would like to have some good results with only two IGBTs

second variant?

http://www.geocities.com/gemaria_ro/sstcex1.html

Each primary tuned with a paralleled C, which will short the unwanted primary spikes....?
Marko
Sat Aug 05 2006, 03:42PM
As I said, this topology can work very well in class E. Jus tput your resonant caps across the switch instead having them across the primaries.

For higher frequencies (>1mhz) IGBT's are bad choice because they are usually slow at turnoff.
Prolonged current tailing can cause them to suffer extreme losses (death) due to some energy from shunt cap getting discharged trough them while they are supposed to be 'off'.

vasil
Sat Aug 05 2006, 03:50PM
I dont make high frequency SSTCs (usually under 200 kHz), so it would not be a problem. Maibe at lower freq, the voltage spikes will be lower (your coils are high freq Firkragg).

Its hard to match a class E when you have no tools. Hmm...will see....
Steve Conner
Sat Aug 05 2006, 10:53PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Your circuit looks like a variation of the centre tapped circuit used in the Mazzilli flyback driver. (except without the resonant capacitor, so it's a bit more like the original Royer oscillator)

So I'm going to guess that the same conditions apply, and the switches see 2*Vdc plus spikes if you don't use a tuning capacitor, and roughly pi*Vdc if you do use one.

I guess what I'm saying is that the switches end up seeing twice the voltage applied to the primary, so you might as well use a half-bridge instead and double the DC bus voltage. I think the phasing of one of your primaries is wrong too.
Sat Aug 05 2006, 10:59PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Couln't you buid it like a push-pull vttc, replacing the tubes with your igbt's? Use steves vttc faq's eqations to get a decent Q for your primary, then tune for resonance, and viola tongue
Steve Conner
Sat Aug 05 2006, 11:03PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It worked for Vladimiro Mazzilli (the guy who invented our "ZVS Flyback Driver") back in 2003
Link2
Link2

Marko
Sat Aug 05 2006, 11:38PM
Your circuit looks like a variation of the centre tapped circuit used in the Mazzilli flyback driver. (except without the resonant capacitor, so it's a bit more like the original Royer oscillator)

So I'm going to guess that the same conditions apply, and the switches see 2*Vdc plus spikes if you don't use a tuning capacitor, and roughly pi*Vdc if you do use one.

Yeah, this variation of 'double-ended' drive can also work in ZVS by putting a cap across the primary aka. mazzili driver.
Without any caps, with that topology I had IRFP450's (500V) starting to avalanche at some 30V input. Not good..
Due to fast switching very high voltages develop across the primary and there's nothing to drain that energy out.

(vasil already owns one coil based on it).

I saw his schematic quite long ago, and it is actually interesting how it works on mains voltage with just 5W gate resistors.

I tought this could make nice little unregulated SMPS (with mini mosfet's requiring much less gate drive power than IGBT's). Only if peak voltage could be reduced to some 2x Vin sad

vasil
Sun Aug 06 2006, 06:50AM
The resistors are boiling hot after 1 min runing....
I run out of IGBTs stock. It would be nice to have only 2 IGBTs...Seems that would not work.

The primaries phasing is wrong yes.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: