Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How to calculate resonant frequency of capacitor?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
AuroraFlame
Fri Jul 06 2012, 05:18PM Print
AuroraFlame Registered Member #5566 Joined: Tue Jul 03 2012, 10:55AM
Firstly new member and first post here

I remember when I was a kid at school being told by one of the science teachers that the voltage difference between my head and feet whilst standing was over 100 volts. This has been known for hundreds of years and the voltage is about 100 volts per meter rising from the earth’s surface.

This means if you got a helium balloon, coated it in aluminum foil, attached it to a fine copper wire and let it rise 100 meters into the air you would have ten thousand volts between the end of that wire and ground!
Obviously the amperage is miniscule but in the early days of electricity it was shown that electrostatic motors could be run from this atmospheric electricity.

Ok so here is what I want to do and I am looking for some help from you guys if you would be so kind. I want to experiment with charging a large capacitor using the Earth as the power supply. Its just for fun really but here comes the difficult part (difficult for me anyway) I want to tune that capacitor to match the resonant frequency of the earths energy field which is about 7.86 hertz.

Obviously if the capacitor is tuned to resonate with the earth it will capture the maximum amount of energy. I know that tesla tried this although he used a coil instead of a capacitor. I just want to make a simple two plate disc capacitor.

I don’t know how to calculate the size of the capacitor that would have a resonant frequency of 7.86 hertz. I know that at such a low resonant frequency it must be large, perhaps over a meter diameter?

I am looking to use 2mm thick acetal sheet which has a dielectric strength of >50kv per mm therefore breakdown voltage is over 100kv. I will simply cut a single disc from this sheet and sandwich it between two aluminum discs. I will probably design the capacitor so it can be tuned once I get an idea of size range.

The experiment is obviously inexpensive and low-tech, the only difficulty being working out the size of the capacitor needed.
Technical data for acetal sheet can be found here Link2

Thank you for any help!

Sulaiman
Fri Jul 06 2012, 10:24PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
The 100 V/m is a 'static' electric field,
consider it as direct current

the Schumann resonances are alternating currents,
with very little power

on its own an 'ideal' capacitor has no resonant frequency
resonance requires inductance and capacitance,
the tether/line/wire from the balloon would have inductance (about 1 uH/m)
but to get resonance at around 8 Hz quite large values of capacitance and/or inductance are required ( F = 1/2.pi.sqrt(L.C))

your wire would probably leak the charge back into the air due to corona

flying a tethered balloon 100m up requires permission (CAA etc.)

you would require a very large balloon to collect a useful amount of power

What do you actually want to do?
AuroraFlame
Sat Jul 07 2012, 12:13PM
That a parallel two plate capacitors don’t have a resonant frequency goes against what I was taught whilst at collage. I actually remember the lecturer setting us the task of finding the resonant frequency of a capacitor as a test. We simply used a scope and signal generator connected to the capacitor, adjusted the frequency until max amplitude wave was observed and noted it down as the resonant frequency of the capacitor.

As for the Schuman frequency I always understood them to be pulsed dc. The ionosphere is positively charged and the earth is negatively charged like two plates of a capacitor. The sun charges the earth capacitor up with charged particles until a potential is reached when a lightning strike occurs. This process occurs rhythmically and thus the field around the earth builds and collapses rhythmically.
Antonio
Sat Jul 07 2012, 01:18PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
These concepts are quite confuse. A capacitor really resonates with its own inductance, this is a known problem in high-frequency circuits, and is measurable. But the resonance occurs much above the normal frequencies where the capacitor would be normally used.
The Schumann resonance occurs simply due to the time that an electrical signal takes to propagate around the Earth. Any lightning strike excites it, but it is a low-Q resonance, difficult to observe. Lightning does not occur due to charges received from the Sun, that would not affect anything on the ground due to the Faraday shielding effect of the atmosphere. Lightning occurs due to triboelectric effects in storm clouds.
Pinky's Brain
Sat Jul 07 2012, 03:18PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Antonio wrote ...
Lightning occurs due to triboelectric effects in storm clouds.
Presumably rain figures into it as well at some point, I've always imagined ground strike lightning like a Kelvin water dropper writ large.
Carl Pugh
Sat Jul 07 2012, 05:17PM
Carl Pugh Registered Member #1064 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 05:04PM
Maybe I'm getting old and cautious, but:
They say quite a few people have been killed while flying kites using wires. (Benjamin Franklin's kite experiment)

I worked with an engineer who told the story that they had an antenna on the roof that was connected to a cable in the ceiling. He came in one morning and the cable was moving around. He grabbed the cable and was knocked across the room. The put a meter on the cable and measured 10,000 volt.

WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO IS DANGEROUS. DON'T DO IT WITHOUT A LOT MORE RESEARCH.
Steve Conner
Sat Jul 07 2012, 06:59PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Carl Pugh wrote ...

WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO DO IS DANGEROUS. DON'T DO IT WITHOUT A LOT MORE RESEARCH.

That would make an excellent stock reply to 90% of posts on the forum.

However it is true that since Ben Franklin first flew a kite in a thunderstorm, many people have been killed trying to replicate the experiment.

Static charges on radio antennas are a well known phenomenon. Every ham radio rig I've poked around in has had some sort of device for dissipating them to ground.

The energy in the Schumann modes comes from lightning strikes, of which there are about 120 per second averaged over the whole world. I believe the general consensus is that it's too small to be worth "harnessing".
AuroraFlame
Sun Jul 08 2012, 05:13PM
I am aware that such experiments could be dangerous but only during bad weather, during fine sunny weather that would not be so.

Here are some electrostatic motors which are running off electricity collected from weather balloons. Link2

"You can measure this voltage with an earth-field antenna—a wire with a sharp point at the top to start a corona, or with a bit of radioactive material that ionizes the air in its immediate vicinity. Near the earth, voltage is proportional to altitude; on an average day you might measure 1,200 volts with a 10-meter antenna"

I'm not really interested in making motors however, I just want to see how fast a large capacitor would charge using this setup and how big the sparks can be got from this.
Carl Pugh
Mon Jul 09 2012, 04:58PM
Carl Pugh Registered Member #1064 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 05:04PM
I am aware that such experiments could be dangerous but only during bad weather, during fine sunny weather that would not be so.

Would you bet your life that the preceding statement is correct? You are:
radiotech
Fri Jul 13 2012, 06:13AM
radiotech Registered Member #2463 Joined: Wed Nov 11 2009, 03:49AM
want to experiment with charging a large capacitor using the Earth as the power supply

Circuits have two ends. Could you sketch your earth-balloon circuit showing the flow paths
and indicate the EMF source.

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: