Finn Hammer (72)
Blue Adept (43)
Nickel (68)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The Dead simple DRSSTC

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
plazmatron
Fri Jun 22 2012, 08:05PM Print
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
People keep asking for a simple DRSSTC diagram (presumably without the logic chips), and some time ago I came up with exactly that.

I have had this thing around since the summer of '09, but it was uncased. so I decided to tidy it up, and post it here.
It is of similar dimensions and scale to Steve Wards 'DRSSTC .5', and in fact, it was that coil that inspired this design.

1340394054 1134 FT0 Drsstc

This was designed to be a low power coil with reasonable performance, not a record breaker, so I decided to leave out all of the 5v logic. The resulting circuit it this:

1340394819 1134 FT0 Dsdrsstc

The base feedback CT (AS-103) was purchased from RS components, and feeds pin 2 of the UCC's almost directly. I keep the interrupters separate from my coils, and send the signal over fiber optic to the coil. This is fed into the UCC pin 3 via a cheap, and simple phototransistor. (Maplin part number YY88W).

I use Tosliknk cable, and pulled apart some Toslink adapters, for the sockets. I simply drilled a 3mm hole in the back of the sockets to accept the phototransistor, at the tesla coil end, and a hyperbright LED at the interrupter end.

There is nothing special about the rest. The half bridge is the same as Steve Ward's, except I use 24v Zeners on the gates of the TO-247 40N60 IGBT's, since I lost an IGBT to gate failure.
The resonant frequency is around 450 kHz.

1340394762 1134 FT0 Board

The image above shows the control board in the base of the DRSSTC.

And below, the obligatory spark pic.

1340394906 1134 FT0 Ss851216

As for spark length, I have pushed about 12 inches of spark out of this coil, and it has survived ground strikes, without losing silicon.

This simple driver has worked far better than expected, and hasn't caused any problems. However, as I stated, this isn't a record breaking coil, and has never been pushed hard. It is a perfect driver for ISSTC's, and good enough for low power DRSSTC's. For anything bigger, use proper drivers!

Les

Thomas W
Fri Jun 22 2012, 08:13PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
I think you will find this is a record breaker.... worlds simplest SSTC... ^^
zrg
Fri Jun 22 2012, 08:56PM
zrg Registered Member #4762 Joined: Sun May 06 2012, 05:59PM
I believe my SSTC would be even more simple, especially if you use IGBTs with inner diodes (when I was designing the schematic, I used MOSFETs) and magical all-in-one UCC27425 chip for a driver :)
UCCs have embedded Schmitt triggers, so the signal from diode fork can be fed directly to their input gates.
In the latest design I changed the antenna feedback to CT feedback, as it is much more stable in the operation.

Of course no overcurrent detectors or any stuff required for proper driver, but that circuit just works fine enough. Maybe it can even be modified to double resonance...

If anyone is interested, more info is here (in russian, but google translate will save you) Link2
genious 7
Sat Jun 23 2012, 12:46AM
genious 7 Registered Member #2887 Joined: Sat May 29 2010, 11:10PM
Correct me if wrong (and I am probably wrong), but isn't this an SSTC? I see you take the feedback from a current transformer and secondary feedback, like a SSTC, not from primary current like in a DRSSTC.

Unless you are hard switching the primary (which I kinda doubt would survive if it was double resonant), I guess its closer to SSTC than to DRSSTC. What is your primary and MMC?

Besides, your schematic is almost identical to Steve Ward's SSTC5; minus the Schmitt Inverters.
Ben Solon
Sat Jun 23 2012, 01:19AM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
You are right- it will hard switch the primary unless it perfectly matches the secondary. It will also it off the igbts mid pulse when you cut off the interrupt signal. The point of the coil is to be as simple as possible, and under 100W it won't immediately kill the igbts, but it will strain them. It's why he says that for any bigger coil you should use a logic board that utilizes zvs and interrupt cutoff timing.
plazmatron
Sat Jun 23 2012, 12:36PM
Michael Chen wrote ...

Correct me if wrong (and I am probably wrong), but isn't this an SSTC? I see you take the feedback from a current transformer and secondary feedback, like a SSTC, not from primary current like in a DRSSTC.

This is dual resonant, with a 70nF MMC. The spark length is about twice the secondary length.

DRSSTC's can be run happily off base current feedback, and in fact on small ones, with limited primary current, it is the way to go. Besides, if primary feedback could be gotten to work on this coil, I would then need an OCD, since the primary current would ring way up!

Because I have omitted the hex inverter, and JK-flipflop, from this design, the IGBTs can be turned off, mid RF cycle by the interrupter. This is bad news for IGBTS, so the pulse width is kept low, and PRF is kept low.

It is therefore not quite the performer that Steve's coil is, but was designed to be an experiment to show "What can we expect from a DRSSTC, built from a minimum of components"

I figured, some of the new guys, who have built one or two SSTC's already, might like to experiment with the design, as a 'stepping stone' if you will, to grander coils!

The top of the MMC, is on the bottom right.

1340454979 1134 FT140515 Inverter

Les
Tetris
Sat Jun 23 2012, 06:43PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
@zrg what's the antenna for? Hehe, it is simple. If I can understand it, it has to be simple. xD
plazmatron
Wed Jun 27 2012, 12:49PM
HighVoltageChick wrote ...

@zrg what's the antenna for? Hehe, it is simple. If I can understand it, it has to be simple. xD

The antenna picks up the output from the secondary of the Tesla coil, to use as a feedback signal to drive the coil.

I'm not a fan of antennas, since in DRSSTC use a single strike can destroy the electronics, plus a current transformer makes for a more compact and tidy design.

Les
Dri0m
Wed Jun 27 2012, 02:39PM
Dri0m Registered Member #4497 Joined: Thu Apr 19 2012, 12:53PM
Tom Williamson wrote ...

I think you will find this is a record breaker.... worlds simplest SSTC... ^^

Uhmmm, Slayer Exciter is SSTC too, and it have only 3 parts, baterry and coil :P
Steve Conner
Wed Jun 27 2012, 03:33PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
How about "World's simplest SSTC that doesn't suck" then? smile

I think Les's circuit could be improved slightly by taking R2 to a DC bias voltage about equal to the UCCs' switching threshold, instead of ground.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: