Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

is my math right?

Move Thread LAN_403
Yanom
Fri Jun 22 2012, 07:31PM Print
Yanom Registered Member #4659 Joined: Sun Apr 29 2012, 06:14PM
I made a simple coilgun using 50v power supply, 3x 470uF capacitors, and 11ohms of 24gauge wire. I tried doing the math for this:

By ohms law, 50v/11o is about 4.54 A of current.

.00141F capacitance

F = (A * s) / V , so, coil should be on for about. 015 sec.

Right? Are those equations right? Because it seems my coil isturned on longer than that: I'm getting suckback. Where could the discrepancy be?
Barry
Fri Jun 22 2012, 08:12PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
You might be neglecting the coil's inductance, which will probably be a large amount for your coil. It takes about 140 meters of wire, if you have 11 ohms of 24 awg. Anyway you build it, this will have a lot of turns and high inductance, probably 30 mH or more.

Try the RLC simulator page and dial in V = 50 volts, R = 11 ohms, C = 1.4 millifarads, and L = 30 mH. This will simulate what happens in your circuit. The inductance slows down the discharge time and lowers the peak current. I'm seeing a peak of 3.5 A that lasts about 50 msec.

Coilgun efficiency suffers from any resistance. This means the best coilguns are built from fewer turns of heavy wire, just one or two layers, and high peak current of hundreds or thousands of amps.

Hope this helps, Barry
Yanom
Fri Jun 22 2012, 09:32PM
Yanom Registered Member #4659 Joined: Sun Apr 29 2012, 06:14PM
ahh thanks. That's very helpful. Also, do I have to take into account the fact that (according to This chart a 24 AWG wire can only pass 3.5 A of current?
Barry
Sat Jun 23 2012, 02:48AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Yanom wrote ...

Do I have to take into account the fact that (according to This chart a 24 AWG wire can only pass 3.5 A of current?
Not exactly. The chart represents the save average long-term safe current-carrying capacity.

You can at least double their figures for current that lasts only a very short time.

The real limiting factor for coilguns (with a current pulse of 20 msec or less) would be the "fuse" limit. That is, what amount of current for a few milliseconds will melt the wire? I don't have a chart handy for that, so do some web searches.

Cheers, Barry
Ben Solon
Sat Jun 23 2012, 03:02AM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
Barry wrote ...

Yanom wrote ...

Do I have to take into account the fact that (according to This chart a 24 AWG wire can only pass 3.5 A of current?
Not exactly. The chart represents the save average long-term safe current-carrying capacity.

You can at least double their figures for current that lasts only a very short time.

The real limiting factor for coilguns (with a current pulse of 20 msec or less) would be the "fuse" limit. That is, what amount of current for a few milliseconds will melt the wire? I don't have a chart handy for that, so do some web searches.

Cheers, Barry

i dont have the formulas memorized, but its just a function of the energy in the discharge and the mass of the wire. the limit is the melting point of the insulation if you want more than one go at it. i did something similar with induction heating.

edit: the specific heat of copper is .38gJ/g which means for every joule of energy asserted on one gram of copper, its temperature rises 1 degree C. an example would be 1kJ through 10g of copper wire would raise the copper 10 degrees. according to wikipedia, common temperatur classsifications for copper wire are: 105° C, 130° C, 155° C, 180° C and 220° C. find out what yours is, them calculate how hot you want it to get.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: