Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New Subwoofer Cabinet/Polyfill?

Move Thread LAN_403
EDY19
Wed Aug 02 2006, 06:48PM Print
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
Just thought I would show my latest project- I found the subwoofers I wanted (Infinity 1052W), got the specs on them, and they said that a .75 cubic foot enclosure was right for a sealed enclousre, so I built one (or two tongue) Anyway, it is all 3/4 inch MDF with a separator in the center to isolate both of the boxes for the two subs. It is covered in some material from Jo-Ann fabrics (A store I don't frequent often) that is actually kind of a mixture between fur, felt, and automotive carpet if you can imagine that- It turned out nicely though! Heres some pictures, one of the front of the box, and the other is one of the 2 nameplates I made and printed to put in the plates on the back:
1154544532 105 FT0 2006 0802 144706aa

1154544532 105 FT0 2006 0802 144925aa
Wed Aug 02 2006, 07:37PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
looks good, at least you managed to finish it...

My dad/I made a triangular prism shaped one years ago to fit between the back seat and the way back seat in his station wagon that had a single 14" blapunkt woofer in it. It was 1/2" plywood, with a layer of tar undercoat and some fiberglass inside it, all sealed with silicon calk but we never got arround to putting the felt on it, so it has been just bare wood for years now... We donated the car it was designed to fit in (and then got another one as a present from the granadparents, and donated it agian to write it off on our taxes) so now it is in service as a subwoofer for the home theatre wink
EDY19
Mon Aug 07 2006, 03:22PM
WEll...
I decided to go with two 12 inch subwoofers now instead, meaning I'll have to sell the original box, and make a new one, but I learned a bunch of valuble stuff in the process! The speakers I got are Infinity 1250W speakers, with a single voice coil, and I have to say they sound pretty darn good. The new box will be 1.25 cubic feet per sub, so I'll post a picture when thats done!
EDY19
Thu Aug 10 2006, 06:05PM
Has anyone here had any experience with spray on truck bed liners? I was thinking that if I could get the whole cabinet coated with that, it would look a lot nicer than the seams on the carpet, and would be nice and durable. Any other roll on or spray on products that would be fairly thick, tough. and scratch resistant that you know of?

EDIT: Lastly, does anyone here suggest filling the box with polyfill? I have heard that 1lb per cubic feet increases the size of the box that the driver "sees" But anyone with experience is greatly appreciated- the best site I have found is right here:
Link2
and with that site, I am thinking of designing the box as 1.1 cubic feet (1900cu inches) as opposed to the 1.25cu feet (2160cu inchies) and fill it with polyfill until it sounds ok.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: